Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25y Bills Drills

dirtypool40

I know as soon as I start these threads someone will send me an older thread. I did a search honest...

Anyway. Hands relaxed, 25y, 6hits. Yes, try for all Alphas, but record what you get if they are not all "A's". Tell me any run that was down three or better.

Please include class and gear.

Also, what was your draw?

I'll start you off; I shot it twice a couple weeks ago at the end of practice (last practice I had actually). Limited Master. 2.62 and a 2.69. Draws were in the mid 1.20's and hits on both targets were 4A / 2C, but the groups were nice and round and the two "C" were real close.

It was just a first attempt and I wondered what other folks were doing it in.

I have never tried this for speed, but I usually can do this in the mid to late 3s with all As or down 1 C. depending on the day. I usually do this drill at least once a practice session. First shot usually around 1.4-1.6. I have done it under 3 a few times but don't recall the hits so I won't guess. I usually do this at 25-40yds depending on the day and what I am working on. Like I said I haven't gone for speed, I usually try for group and put a 5 second time limit on it, kind of like the old S.C.T. drill.

Class: U Blade-Tech holster, Wilderness "instructors" belt, 6" Fat Free Benny Hill Special.

As an aside, durring one match we shot a standards deal (qualifier??) with 3 targets at 40yds with targets one meter apart. I shot it in 3.37 with 1 C. Tried it in practice since but can't seem to get close to that one time. KURTM

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this drill with my open and single stack.

Open= 6 A 2.65 A class

L10=5A 1C 3.85 M class

I used to do bill drills starting at 7 and go back to 50yards when I started this sport. After reading this threat and doing it again.....I remembed why it was a good drill to practice at distance. If the grip or trigger finger are not right, you find out in a hurry.

Now I need to try a 100 yard bill drill with the AR :blink:

Ktyler

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I find myself shooting this drill looking at different things. On a full target you can practice different kinds of focus and really see their effects on score. It is also one of the drills where I seem to remember the most about the sights afterI have shot it.

Not sure if any of that made sense. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update: finally got to Santa Cruz with my gear and shot this drill again for the first time since beginning this thread.

New Personal bests of 2.48 and 2.34, both runs down 1 on the turtle targets. Draws were around 1.15.

I set up three targets, shoot the first at "cinch all A speed", about 4-4.5 seconds.

The second one I shoot at "match" speed where I'll accept 3A, 3C in about 3-3.5 seconds.

The third I shoot at bust your ass and just get 6 hits speed, around 2.5-2.8 seconds.

I want to shoot this one some more, I was really beginning to see the difference in focus types and results.

Like Erik said, it's interesting to note that it's not that far off a 7y Bill. I am not a "split finger" so my 7y Bill's are rarely better than 1.80.

more to come...

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Shot a couple of these at 20 and 30 yards yesterday.

20 yd:

2.90, 1.24 draw, down 1

2.70, 1.25 draw, down 4

30 yd:

3.69, 1.54 draw, down 5 (1D)

3.59, 1.49 draw, down 6 (1D)

Distance work is a focal point for me, as well, right now.

40 yd:

4.92, 1.48 draw, down 3

4.25, 1.64 draw, down 5 (1D)

• 6 months later...

L-10 B/Limited C

G22 from CR Speed Rig

Best

3.08 down 1, 1.36 draw

3.16 down 2, 1.25 draw

3.19 down 3, 1.40 draw

This one separated the men from the boys. Get a few people shooting this and it gets pretty vicious. I'll be doing this one again.

JOe

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! This is one of my favorite drills. Once, out of six runs, I had an average of 3.02 with all A's. Its a very good exersize for trigger control. That was a few years ago, been out of the shooting for a while, but coming back soon!

This is a very informative forum. The people here seem to be very nice! Hope to meet some of you shooters in the Michigan area.

Edited by TimBoettcher

• 5 months later...

Remember the Bill Drill is Point Shooting.

How do you control the firearm between shots.

You draw, point and shoot.

Eye hand coordination - projectile hits where eye looks on target - hopefully the A Zone.

Stance, grip, draw and control play an important part in your results.