Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotshell Caddies

I am looking to get some shotshell caddies and am having a hard time deciding. It's down to either the CA Competition Works or the Choate.

I've used my buddies CACW and liked them, but I'm looking to save money and the the Choate are a bit less, for what looks like the

same design. Any recommendations?

I have the Choate, and my brother the CCW. With the Choate, shells want to jump out of them when I run to the next position. Seems the springs on the top that are supposed to retain the top shell is too weak. Haven't figured out how to prevent this. Am considering the Mark Otto vest thingy that lets you load 2 at a time. Chris Patty had some at the Pro/Am that are all-kydex; looked very secure.

Just got the Mark Otto vest last week. VERY WELL MADE. I had been using a Remington 1100CM and used the Cooley Flip loading one at a time for 8 years. Got a new Salient M2, started to try to load weak hand 4 at a time, epic fail, then 3 at time, fail. Practiced about 1/2 hr.per evening with the GRiTS (grip it, rip it, tip it, slip it) loading and I actually loaded 8, shot one in 8.13 second. Finally, for me I found the HOLY GRAIL of shotgun loading! My thanks to Temple Knight for showing me the way.

Edited by Trail3

2 3/4 is all I will be shooting. Thanks. Also, I am really needing to practice my shotgun reloads. Can you recommend a brand of Snap Caps for training? Or do they all pretty much function the same?

Able Ammo sells Fiocchio dummy 12 gauge shells that work great for practicing loading.

Edited by DinosaurMikeGolf

2 3/4 is all I will be shooting. Thanks. Also, I am really needing to practice my shotgun reloads. Can you recommend a brand of Snap Caps for training? Or do they all pretty much function the same?

Able Ammo sells Fiocchio dummy 12 gauge shells that work great for practicing loading.

Can the dummy rounds be reused? Or are they a one shot deal?

Personally, I'd with the Otto or Carbon arms. I've got both CCW and Choate and I thought they worked well but the quality from shops like Otto's or Carbon arms or several other small shops, are so much better they blow the choate and ccw stuff away. More expensive? yes. But well worth it.

I have the Choate, and my brother the CCW. With the Choate, shells want to jump out of them when I run to the next position.

Take the smooth side of adhesive velcro, and stick it inside the Choate caddies. It puts enough drag on the shells to keep them in place, but, not so much you're pulling your belt off. ;)

Just got the Mark Otto vest last week. VERY WELL MADE. I had been using a Remington 1100CM and used the Cooley Flip loading one at a time for 8 years. Got a new Salient M2, started to try to load weak hand 4 at a time, epic fail, then 3 at time, fail. Practiced about 1/2 hr.per evening with the GRiTS (grip it, rip it, tip it, slip it) loading and I actually loaded 8, shot one in 8.13 second. Finally, for me I found the HOLY GRAIL of shotgun loading! My thanks to Temple Knight for showing me the way.

Do you have a link or video about the GRiTS? I try googling Temple Knight and didn't get anything.

Do you have a link or video about the GRiTS? I try googling Temple Knight and didn't get anything.

http://www.triangleshootingsports.com/otto.htm

It's not on Mark's website yet, but this is his contact info.

There are some videos on the forum some where. Check MarkCo's postings I think I saw it there.

Temple Knight is a Nor Cal shooter and local club member where I shoot, who showed me the way.

Thanks again John!

They don't go bang, the primer is inert and there is no powder in the hull. Yes, they are re-usable.

They don't go bang, the primer is inert and there is no powder in the hull. Yes, they are re-usable.

Are they filled with anything to simulate weight?

Are they filled with anything to simulate weight?

Yes. The ones I purchased are filled with 7 1/2 shot and weigh the same as ready to shoot shells. Just no powder or primers.

I know it's not popular around here but i practice loading with the rounds i shoot in the match. Just keep the safety on, don't chamber a round and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Edited by ghertz

I know it's not popular around here but i practice loading with the rounds i shoot in the match. Just keep the safety on, don't chamber a round and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

That works fine at the range. I don't like taking that chance at home.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to get some shotshell caddies and am having a hard time deciding. It's down to either the CA Competition Works or the Choate.

I've used my buddies CACW and liked them, but I'm looking to save money and the the Choate are a bit less, for what looks like the

same design. Any recommendations?

I highly recommend Mark Otto Caddies. I changed from the Cali Comp Works and haven't looked back.

Edited by J-Rob

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend the CACW over the Choates for a couple of reasons.

1.) You can fit the caddy (using the provided plastic shims) to what you're carrying (3" vs 2 3/4") so they don't go floppin' around when you run around

2.) Due to the shims, you can also use the CACW to carry AR-15 mags. I know Choate says they can do that, but I never had any luck

3.) The CACWs have a pretty healthy belt clip, as opposed to the Choates belt loop, which makes for much easier belt rig adjustments

I know Choates are a bit more affordable, which is the route I went initially, but save yourself some dough in the long run.