Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you are DQ'ed,do you stay?

Depends…..I attended an IDPA event about 2 years ago. The shooter started facing up range turned drew his gun, or drew his gun and turned, then put a round about 3 inches from his toes, he proceeded to fire 6 more shots before being stopped.

He was DQ’d and returned to help run shooters.

Wrong....

I made it clear that HE was not going to be running shooters that day.

Depends…..I attended an IDPA event about 2 years ago.

No offense, but this is in the USPSA/IPSC section, not IDPA...

If DQ'd, like others have said, it is good sportsmanship to stick around and help out your squad. :cheers:

No offense taken. I've been a USPSA CRO for 10 years and often the RM.

My view: if a person has had a dangerous DQ, it is a good idea to take the day off.

My view: if a person has had a dangerous DQ, it is a good idea to take the day off.

While I would agree that this person doesn't need to be running shooters through the remaining stages, I would encourage them to stay and paste, set steel, etc. so they can see how others handle situations similar to the one that DQ'd them. The only exception I can think of would be someone who argued about or questioned or protested a blatant safety DQ indicating they don't understand the sport and don't intend to learn. Then I would invite them to leave and not come back...ever. Otherwise stay and learn and pay your dues.

what is proper if you are Dq'ed in match?? Let say you are DQ'ed on your first stage, do you stay all day? Or is it ok to head home?

If it's a DQ where the shooter comes close to serious damage -- I'd say gracefully exit, stage left.

It can be awkward to stick around, for the shooter and for the squad.

On the other hand, if it was a forehead-slapper loss of mental focus, then stick around, help reset, paste, be cool with it.

Maybe if everything goes smooth, cover for the scorekeeper.

If everything goes really good, you could be scorekeeping when the RO who DQ'd you comes up to shoot, and no one will notice :cheers:

A Match Official who is disqualified from a match for a safety infraction while competing will continue to be eligible to serve as a Match

Official for the match. The Range Master will make any decision related to an official’s participation.

As RM you may have the option of not letting them RO but otherwise nothing says they can't RO.

are there safe dq's or undangerous dq's??

never had a dq, but i would stay and help paste targets and stuff like that.

There is the unsportsmanlike conduct DQ.

Depends. I have DQ'ed twice and stayed both times. The first time I stayed until the end of the match. The second time I DQ'ed on the first stage and stayed for another two stages then went home. These matches are 5-6 hours and I figured I could get some things accomplished at home in that time. I take no offense if someone who DQ's goes home. They know their temperament, other things they have to do and the opportunity cost to them of staying better than I do.

There is the unsportsmanlike conduct DQ.

few weeks ago a guy gets stopped by an ro because he goes back over the point of no return line, shooter complains that he wasn't, shooter gets pissed off, walks back to the safety area and threw his full magazine's around the rounds where flying everywhere and gets dq'ed bacause of unsportsman like behaviour, that's not what i call safe.

Stick around. It's the right thing to do.

Get absorbed in the match. Be a worker. Tape targets, set steel, keep score, forget your DQ for a while.

Maybe you'll put be on an arbitration committee or be asked to help fix a prop on a stage or even push a truck out of the mud.

You could learn something. Enlightenment, perhaps?

:D

I have only been GQ'ed once it was supposedly for breaking the 180 I'm very careful about that and didn't think it was a correct call. The guy running the clock was not a certified R.O. just a guy that had been shooting for about a year. I was a little pissed and left.

Stick around. It's the right thing to do.

Get absorbed in the match. Be a worker. Tape targets, set steel, keep score, forget your DQ for a while.

Maybe you'll put be on an arbitration committee or be asked to help fix a prop on a stage or even push a truck out of the mud.

You could learn something. Enlightenment, perhaps?

:D

I remember an RO who got disqualified during the Staff Match. He was really gracious about it and obviously stuck around for the next few days of the match to be CRO for his stage as well as help with other things. It also made things a little easier for the MD when it was time to setup the prize table because he suddenly had somebody who didn't have a vested interest in laying out the envelopes with the random prizes.

I was a fledgling RO at that time and it was a great example for me of how great the people in this community can.

few weeks ago a guy gets stopped by an ro because he goes back over the point of no return line, shooter complains that he wasn't,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "point of no return line".

I'll make a couple guesses as to what you are referring to:

Guess 1: Off Limits area

There was a 2' high rope/tape marking the Off Limits area (Rule 2.2.1.5), and the rope/tape was at least 2' away from a fault line. If the shooter was only over the fault line, but not into the roped off area, then the RO had no right stopping the shooter. If the shooter was into the Off Limits area, it should have been very clear because the shooter would be not only beyond the fault line, but also be standing with rope/tape against his legs. The RO would have then been correct to stop him, and give him a zero score (10.2.11), or a DQ for unsportsmanlike conduct (10.6).

Guess 2: Shooting steel too close

The shooter was over a fault line that put him within 23' of steel targets. But for that to happen, there should have been an initial fault line at 26' (Rule 2.1.3), so that he would only be faulting and not DQ'ing. For faulting the 26' line, shooter have not been stopped. For going past the 23' line, then yes the shooter should have been stopped and DQ'd for shooting steel closer than 23' (Rule 10.5.17).

Guess 3: Level I exception

Rule 10.2.9 lets shooters enter and leave shooting locations at will, but Level I exceptions may stipulate otherwise. Of course, 10.2.9 also stipulates only procedural penalties should be applied. It says nothing about stopping the shooter.

shooter gets pissed off, walks back to the safety area and threw his full magazine's around the rounds where flying everywhere

I would have expected a 10.5.12 DQ for handling ammo in the Safety Area.

and gets dq'ed bacause of unsportsman like behaviour, that's not what i call safe.

I do agree with you, that it is not something I would call safe, either.