Bending shotgun barrel to POA

Jin

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A video would help. How far down the barrel should you hit? I would definitely go very slow with this operation. If I can't figure it out ill probably make the trip down to benny in corpus. So would you also hit it on the vent rib to make the POI go down? Seems like that might damage the rib or do you normally adjust elevation with a sight and just do the bending for windage? If I use 2x4 or shot or telephone pole ... am i hitting in the middle of the barrel or where abouts?

Thanks guys! Trying to get this shotgun dialed in for a wounded warriors event to introduce them to 3gun shooting. As far off as it shoots it makes shooting it very discouraging.

Also been experiencing the bolt saying open on last round with a loaded shell resting on the carrier. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this? It doesnt happen often but often enough to be frustrating. Thanks again!

Also been experiencing the bolt saying open on last round with a loaded shell resting on the carrier. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this? It doesnt happen often but often enough to be frustrating. Thanks again!

Send it to Benny and he'll fix it!!

MDA

Did it myself on my Benelli, after I'd tripled the thickness of the cast shim and sanded on the stock. Two light taps on a phone poll, hitting about 3-4" ahead of the ring. Worked fine, seems to be holding after a season of 3-Gun and trap league. I wondered about the swing, baseball or fly swatter? Tried light first, when it worked, I didn't go any farther.

Did it myself on my Benelli, after I'd tripled the thickness of the cast shim and sanded on the stock. Two light taps on a phone poll, hitting about 3-4" ahead of the ring. Worked fine, seems to be holding after a season of 3-Gun and trap league. I wondered about the swing, baseball or fly swatter? Tried light first, when it worked, I didn't go any farther.

Brownells USED to carry a B-Square barrel bending jig..what happend to that???

I have "some" parts to build my own and may press on with that but I would rather spend the time shooting.

What might you know Larry?

Patrick

How much shift did you see?

Im thinking I might just start dumping my shotgun into the barrels the other way for awhile to see if it goes back straight.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Yes, Pat's right, we used to carry a bending jig. Don't remember why we dropped it, but only one of two or three reasons; lack of sales, bad quality or mfg quit making it. With the changes at B-Square after Dan Bechtel died it could have been either #2 or #3. I was whinning to Jerry M and he mentioned the thumping process. After all the shimming mine was still about 4" left at 20-25 yards. Couldn't shim it more, there's just barely room for a thin wall socket between the nut and the left side of the stock now. The gentle thumps moved it over perfectly. I'm using the clamp on the Nordic and haven't played with moving it around, been told they can change point of impact. Understand that the newest Nordic design is a lot stouter and doesn't really need the clamp. That might be a place to start, pull the clamp, see where you are and then try moving it. Patterning is a pain but worth the effort.

Also for "target4fun" on the last round on the carrier. Went through this myself. Weak magazine spring (first time), or the last time it happened, oversized bolt release button was preventing the release "lever" for lack of a better word, from getting out of the way of the carrier. It would sometimes bind just enough to keep it from moving past. I cleaned and replaced everything I could, right down to disassembling the mainspring tube and cleaning it out and none of that helped. Rob Romero gave me a hand and it acutally jammed on him. Instead of just smacking the bolt handle, he looked at the gun. I took the button off and bingo, back to running fine. It had worked for a year with that button on it. And always ran, with 1-1/8 oz, 2-3/4 dram AA loads, no matter how dirty. I looked at the spring on the lever, I don't think the "rub" would have been fixed by a new spring, if I remember right it controls movement in the opposite direction - but I could be wrong. Every time I've "improved" it from the way Benny Hill built it it has stopped working. Ought to teach me something...

I will get a new mag spring and work from there. Thanks larry. I am going to start beating on the barrel next time I head out and get it shooting on... Just a little worried on hittin on the vent rib side to shift it down but as stated on here I will start really soft and work up from there.

A video would help. How far down the barrel should you hit? I would definitely go very slow with this operation. If I can't figure it out ill probably make the trip down to benny in corpus. So would you also hit it on the vent rib to make the POI go down? Seems like that might damage the rib or do you normally adjust elevation with a sight and just do the bending for windage? If I use 2x4 or shot or telephone pole ... am i hitting in the middle of the barrel or where abouts?

i still have not gotten around to beating my barrel. according to TRUBL...you want to impact the barrel at mid point. smashing the bottom of the barrel @ mid-point would make your POI go down.

I raised the front sight to compensate for the M2 shooting high (working well), but it shoots to the left ~ 6 inches @ 50 yards. I will resort to try bending the barrel myself one of these days.

m2_2866.jpg

I raised the front sight to compensate for the M2 shooting high (working well), but it shoots to the left ~ 6 inches @ 50 yards. I will resort to try bending the barrel myself one of these days.

m2_2866.jpg

Might try moving your front sight a little in the dove tail if you don't want to "whack" it on a pole. :)

m2_2866.jpg

Might try moving your front sight a little in the dove tail if you don't want to "whack" it on a pole. :)

About 0.070" to the left on the front should take care of the windage problem... I cut in dovetail sights front and rear and split the shift between them....just say'in.

Patrick

• 1 month later...

so i worked up the balls to try and bend my barrel this past weekend...and had good results.

took the barrel off the gun and put 3 layers of masking tape right in front of the ring for the magazine tube.

By the way, my M2 shoots to the left 3-6 inches @ 50 yards.

i found a 3.5 x 3.5 wooden post cemented in the ground and whacked the right side of the barrel 4 times on the side of the post.

didnt' use a whole lot of force...as i noticed the M2 vent rib barrel is not all that dense; seems like the barrel walls are thin.

like i said...not all that hard. if there was a fresh nail in the post, and i hit it with the barrel with the same amount of force...I would say I was on the brink of driving the nail further in, but not quite.

so that corrected the point of impact as far as windage. well at least for the 3 shots after bending the barrel.

I still have to go back and work on elevation.

You will need to check the barrel again as some recovery may occur. Another way to solve the problem is having Briley correct the zero with their screw in chokes. They can make custom choke tubes that correct the point of impact..

I was researching the same thing a while back and came across this photo.

Yikes!

Anyway I used a hydraulic press to bend the barrel on an old ratty 12 gauge I have and it works fine...I don't know if I'd fire a slug out of it...maybe with a long piece of string. :^) One can definitely see the bend when looking through the barrel. Don't think I'd do it on a nice gun.

As mentioned in a previous post, Briley makes eccentric chokes by boring them while in the gun (you tell them point-of-impact and they fix it).

post-17726-0-56740500-1333091298_thumb.j