Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 34 gen 3 or gen 4

fellas

First of all hello this is my first time posting on this forum and great thanks for the info you find here.

My question is this, i am thinking of glock 34 for an al round gun and maybe doing some idpa shooting in future, which one guys, gen 3 time and reliable proven or gen 4 which is knew on the market. I appreciate your help

thanks

fellas

Honestly, my bias is that I don't want to be the first kid on the block to bet my success on a new gun. Many new gun designs have teething problems during their initial runs - and that's certainly been the case with the Gen-4 9mms. I'd rather bet on something that's already been around for years, developing a sterling reputation for reliability in the process. Gen-3 for me.

Fellas,

I was in the same boat as you, but them came to the realization that Gen 3's are proven and noted for their dependability. I would rather buy something that I've shot and know will work versus something that I've heard may or may not work based on reviews.

Duane's post makes a lot of sense. I've kicked around the idea of ordering a new Gen 4, 34 but my Gen 3 works so well a new gun isn't needed. I guess it's just an excuse for a new gun, but it's got to be reliable otherwise what's the point...

A friend of my shot a match on Saturday with a Gen4 G17. He has been shooting this gun all season. After the match he ordered a Gen3 G34 and plans to sell the Gen4. The issue last weekend that put him over the top was failure to extract.

Don't want to be negative about Glock, but I've heard that story several times...plus other problems as well :blush::blink::(

Staying with my generation three models...for sure B)

Edited by Dwain C. Baer

The only reason I see right now for the gen4 over gen3 is if you have overly large hands such as me. It looks like glock will be adding a backstrap feature which includes a beavertail. That would be my only want on my current Gen3

Bets

The only reason I see right now for the gen4 over gen3 is if you have overly large hands such as me. It looks like glock will be adding a backstrap feature which includes a beavertail. That would be my only want on my current Gen3

Good point for sure, and that's one of the reasons why I like the Glock model 21 so much. It really fits my hands nicely B)

I can only relate my limited experience with one Gen 3/G19, and four Gen4's; a 17, a 35, a 34 and a 19. All the the GEN 4s have been flawless for my brother and I so far.

That said, there are too many Gen 4 stories to dismiss the concerns. I know that Glock will not rest until all the issues have been completely addressed, as the future of the company relies on it 100% I expect that most of the issues have already been resolved, and now Glock is now on the long road to rebuilding it's reputation for extreme reliability.

I am curious how many Gen 4 owners WHO HAVE TAKEN POSSESSION OF THEIR GUN IN THE PAST 2 to3 MONTHS are experiencing the GEN 4 problems that have reported? Those who have the most recent RSA's, that is.

I picked up my G19 gen 4 about 8 weeks ago.

I have had ZERO problems.

Just for giggles I burned through some cheap ammo last night including some steel case stuff. No issues at all except the steel stuff did not load in the mags very well.

I started down the gen 3 .40 cal road a couple years ago - now I have a g22, g35, and g27. Although I think the small backstrap g4 would probably fit me better, I'm sticking with g3, hopefully (probably) the g35 will hang in there until I reach my goals in SSP, then it's all about SSR, BABY! :).

I used a Gen 3 19 for almost a year and a half and didn't have any problems. I now use a Gen 4 17 for about 6 months and again haven't really had any problems. The texture of the grips though are slightly different on the gen 4s. Takes a little getting used too for me since its texture feels slightly different. But I certainly like the advantage of being able to expand your backstrap especially for people like me who have big hands.

I want to pick up a new Glock too and have been toying with the idea of trying a Gen4 again (I had 2 early Gen4 17's that were both s**t) because I'm an LEO and I can get a "blue label" Gen4 17 for $450 (a Gen4 34 for around $550 when, if ever, they become available, not sure if they're correct but my LGS said all Glock blue labels are Gen4's now) which is cheaper than a Gen3 and comes with an extra mag....

Thing is I'm kind of thinking like this: if I'm ok with buying a new gun that works "most of the time" and is potentially a headache, maybe I should just try out another 9mm 1911... ;)

I choose to go with a Gen4. I have all Gen4 at the moment and like the new features. The only down site I can think of it that there isn't any aftermarket slides available for Gen4 frames. In terms of reliability, between myself, IDPA peers (prob 10 matches this summer) and friends/family, I've never seen a Gen4 pistol have a problem.

Edited by Cira

I currently own a Gen 4 35 and 23. Both guns have been flawless. I previously owned a Gen 3 34. My reason for switching was that the Gen 4 fits my hand better(I have small hands) and the frame with no additional backstraps feels best. My 34 also shot extremely left freestyle and from the bench. It also shot left for several avid Glock shooters. I don't have that problem with either Gen 4 model. I have read all the problems on the various forums and I don't doubt that they exist, but I have not witnessed any first hand. I have noticed that if you reload, that you can't download to as low a power factor with the Gen 4 as could be done with a Gen 3. Just my two cents,

I picked up my G19 gen 4 about 8 weeks ago.

I have had ZERO problems.

Just for giggles I burned through some cheap ammo last night including some steel case stuff. No issues at all except the steel stuff did not load in the mags very well.

ditto this. my 18 yo neice had a couple of stovepipes when I took her out one time. so I told her to stop limp wristing. problem solved.

I like the trigger A LOT more than my Gen 3 23.