Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

here kitty kitty...

D.Hayden

Gross. I'm probably in the minority, but I thought this one went too far. The bird one was quick and just showed a bunch of feathers flying off the hood, whereas this one shows the cat struggling and then you visibly see its head being decapitated.

My .02 worth.

I'm not usually offended or scared by violence.

Violence can have its own reasons and might be a useful tool in some circumstances.

What offends me (and I think soemone else here) is the gratuitous use of it for no reasonable and useful purpose. I seem to miss the meaning of the violence used in that commercial.

Since I have a little kid (4), most of what I think is in terms of "what can I teach my kid out of this?", and in this case i can see nothing useful. The only thing I could teach him is that humans, unlike animals, are sometimes prone to violence with no other reason than violence in itself, and this is not moral.

I now realize i'm skating on thin ice, but what I really mean is: I might actually approve some kind of violent movies or actions, provided there is a moral purpose behind it, and provided violence is a means and not a purpose in itself.

To me, looks like in that commercial violence is a purpose in itself, and I don't approve it.

It is in "Poor Taste"

I happen to like cats and wonder if this video would get as much approval here if it featured a dog or maybe even a person getting the Marie Antoinette haircut!

Why does sick humor get rewarded with so much appreciation, so often?

There are places for this type of thing, I just don't think that place is here.

--

Regards,

I think Vince's link says a lot. I can see an Agency going over board with this commercial, maybe even never intending to show it, and Ford choking and saying no way... I think it says a lot about the difference between the US and European TV.

I also thought, there was a good chance it was a complete hoax, but the 'look' seems close the the pigeon version.

No question it crosses the line........ maybe the disclaimer wasn't worded strongly enough. Or, I should have used better judgement and emailed the link, or trashed it completly.

Big flap over the commercial. Ford claims it's unauthorized and was never shown on TV. The ad company claimed they didn’t authorize it. Only place it’s been seen is via the “stolen” copies on the internet.

Must have been some anti-cater / gun grabber that did it. :rolleyes:

But as bad as it seem, it's superb computer generated graphics. No animals were used. The key is no fluids are emitted or shown and obviously there would be mass emissions in a case like this.

It is in "Poor Taste"

I happen to like cats and wonder if this video would get as much approval here if it featured a dog or maybe even a person getting the Marie Antoinette haircut!

Why does sick humor get rewarded with so much appreciation, so often?

There are places for this type of thing, I just don't think that place is here.

--

Regards,

It is a joke, not real, some people happen to find things funny that would never happen. If you've had a cat scratch your new Corvette (as my dad did) you might find some humor in a car that could take revenge. I am not saying I would wish the cat decapitated in real life, but this is TV folks, we can do things on TV we wouldn't do in real life or want done. I know many people who have wanted to off a obnoxious cat or two, but never would, this feeds that fantasy in a non-violent manner.

I don't think it matters that it is a cat, dog, squirrel, or whatever animal, it is a very clever idea. The gal I sent it was totally shocked in horror when she saw it, then about 5 minutes later she was laughing her butt off. If you are of the "sensitive" type maybe I can see being offended, maybe I am just a insensitive @ss, or maybe becuase it is because I was raised on a farm and I've seen much worse happen in real life, but I think it was funny as anything I've seen in a long time.

Damn, there are some sensitive folks around here. Of course it wouldn't get as much approval if it were a dog. Everyone knows dogs are great pets and cats are worthless. :P:D:)

I'm glad I drive a FORD!!