Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

here kitty kitty...

D.Hayden

A joke doesn't always have to be in "good taste" to be funny. If I saw that thing in real life - it would have been really bad, but in a joke? I think it was kind of funny.

BTW, I own a cat (my x-wife's fault, I swear!) and I still don't find the clip offensive. I agree that it'd be difficult to explain to a child, but there are things out there that are just not for children, and that is just fine. Even my 19 years old son agrees :lol:

edited for spelling

I think it is funny how many people here are talking about his being in "Bad Taste." Think about what % of jokes could, would, or should offend someone somewhere. IT'S A JOKE. And quite frankley I find all of the whoopla offensive. <_<

BTW I own a cat, a dog, and horses. The only thing I might have found funnier was if it was a horse. :blink:

Cat's are aloof a$$holes, dogs are drooling doofus's and no matter what, they are both your best friend and a beloved family member if they live at your house :)

BTW, Smitty, that may be funny (to a minority I would hope), or it may not, but it is still somewhat offensive to folks that like cats. All may not agree, but consideration is in good form when in doubt as to your audience (I have made that blunder in the past myself, and will probably make it again, just less often from now on I hope).

--

Regards,

My wife's cat stalked the wrong bird hatchling this week.

Baby-Bird's daddy is a bluejay, and has been strafing the cat's head mercilously.

Which I find to be very funny.

Every time I let kitty outside now, I say, "Don't let that bluejay kick your a**, OK?"

Lucky for me, my wife Suzanne also thinks this is hysterical.

Why does sick humor get rewarded with so much appreciation, so often?

I just posted this in the One Weekend a Month thread, but it also seems appropriate here, to explain why many people find that commercial funny:

Robert Heinlein said, "We laugh because it hurts." Think about it, our funniest jokes, the ones that generate the true belly laughs, are always the ones in which someone's getting hurt. We laugh to deal with the pain.

In this case, the "one being hurt" is a cat. I have cats. I love cats. I still laughed, in spite of, or maybe because of that.

"Although I realise a cat was not actually decapitated, I think the ad is in incredibly poor taste. What next? A dog castrated as he urinates on the wheels?..."
NOW you're on the right track... :ph34r::lol: That's how advertising concepts reach the airwaves!

What would have made this a cool ad is if the cat climbed in thru the sunroof, fired the thing up and took off after the neighborhood dog. :lol:

Being an animal lover...this ad was lousy. :angry:

I have 'kept' many, many cats in my life, have a fondness for them, and have raised many of 'em lovingly and sensibly from kittens. So I definitely like/respect cats. But I still found the car advert hilarious. Go figure. I am neither slobbering bleeding-heart type nor ruthless thug-killer type.

I also like dogs. And George's line about 'drooling doofuses' is sooooo right on... but we love 'em anyway for all their skills and attributes and mirror-like qualities.

Give me a healthy Doberman Pinscher any day. :wub:

It's not funny because it's violent. It's not funny because it is a waste of a perfectly good reactive target, uh, cat. It's funny, as is most good humor, because the punch line is unexpected. As Erik said, Mongo Like! :lol:

"delicately and tentatively in the middle"....

so OBVIOUSLY many "sit on the fence". <_<

It would STILL be cool if the cat fired up the car and chased the neighborhood dog with it instead of the sunroof chopping its head off.

I showed this ad to our local Ford Factory Sales Rep. today...he doubts it came from Fords marketing group...

He likened it to showing the burned up corpse of a law enforcement officer seated in his Ford Crown Victoria patrol car after a rear end collision. "Classic poor taste".

His words...not mine.

No disrespect intended but I think it interesting what some people find funny..... :huh:

To each their own. :)

OK, enough discussion; everybody has made their points. If nothing else, it gives everybody a feel for the "community standards." Perhaps if somebody wishes to post something like this they can put a warning in their post to caution sensitive readers.