Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We should allow 8 shots in USPSA

rtr

I've never shot a revolver in competition, but that will soon change with a 627 I am getting.

I plan to shoot steel and ICORE with it.

But I can't really shoot USPSA with it, except maybe production.

Since revo attracts so few shooters why not try to get as many of them that are out there? By allowing 8 shot minor guns in USPSA recover division would there be more folks shooting revolver? Maybe I'm the only one but I think there would be others.

A vocal minority is strongly against this. Do a search, there was an extensive thread on this subject a year or so ago. I personally agree with you, but since it hasn't happened I gave up revo division for production, due to elbow damage.

An 8 shot revolver can be shot in production and open division. I can see it being "reasonably" competitive in production division. I have considered shooting a 6 shot revolver in production just for laughs (to laugh at the production shooters that I finish in front of :P ) at a local match of two.

8 shot revolvers are great, but at this time I don't see the need to allow them in revolver division at this time. There are opportunities to use an 8 shot in competition (such as ICORE that you mentioned), but USPSA is not one of those places currently.

You can use an 8 shot or a 7 shot revolver in USPSA Rev Div, you just have to make sure you can count to six and reload before you fire that 7th shot, then you bounce to open. An 8-shot is not the best for USPSA, since you will be shooting minor against mostly major and you have the risk of the extra shot bumping you up to Open, but it can be used.

You can use an 8 shot or a 7 shot revolver in USPSA Rev Div, you just have to make sure you can count to six and reload before you fire that 7th shot, then you bounce to open. An 8-shot is not the best for USPSA, since you will be shooting minor against mostly major and you have the risk of the extra shot bumping you up to Open, but it can be used.

I stand corrected. :blush:

USPSA nationals (revo) 20 shooters maybe.

ICORE nationals 250+ shooters.

I think a few changes in revo could bring a truckload of those shooters into USPSA without any gear changes.

ICORE rule book about 7 pages vs. USPSA rule book very large

ICORE is a whole lot different that USPSA.

We have had this discussion before, But I cannot find it with a search, (using the wrong phrase?) But givien that most USPSA stages are set with 8 shot then movement an 8 shot would be a great advatange over the six shot even at minor scoring. We at OKC Gun club offered to let the 8 shot shoot with the revo division heads up with the minor scoring but no one took us up on it. I would love to shoot my 8 shot open gun against other like guns. Just ain't enough of us in one place to make a go of it just yet. So I just shoot my L frame in minor for now. :sight: later rdd

I think Sam Keen's Memphis Charity Challenge would be a great place to experiment with this. Change the registration to REVO, LTD, and OPN. But you must shoot a wheelgun. Then see how many of the ICORE shooters can be recruited. Classic to REVO, 7 and 8 shots to LTD, and the Open as OPN. If it works it grows the MCC and shows USPSA that interest is there. If not you have a few extra shooters at the MCC and life goes on.

I agree, allow 8-shot open revolvers and i'd definately shoot revo ALOT more. There are no icore clubs anywhere even remotely close to me, but there are at least 4-5 uspsa clubs, all setting up revolver unfriendly stages. If we can have 5 semi auto classes, why can't we have two revolver classes? Take away from the current class (stock) of revolvers, maybe a little, but I think overall you would pick up quit a few shooters. My two cents. Ed

I agree, allow 8-shot open revolvers and i'd definately shoot revo ALOT more.

There's nothing keeping you from shooting your Open revolver in Open.

That is currently what I do at a local level but would never at a major match. There is no way an open 8 shot revolver can compete with a full open race gun on courses that allow them to shoot the whole course without 1 reload. It is fun and just for fun to shoot my open revolver in USPSA local matches and I do not care where my final standing is at just as long as I am throwing lead down range.

For now the controling factors of USPSA will not even look at another division for revolvers and for the life of me I can't figure out why when they have limited and limited 10. That is like the difference between revolver and open revolver. They are stand alone divisions and both seem to do well. So until the winds of change catch up with USPSA shoot a 6 shot and enjoy, shoot an 8 shot in ICORE and enjoy and when you just want to shoot show up with what you have shoot the best you can and enjoy.

If you guys want a change, show up and shoot your guns in L-10, production, and open. Sitting here typing about it is easy, show the board that you have the numbers. There has been a lot of talk about this over the years but I have only seen a few people do it at majors. Mike Sousa shot production at the nationals a few years back with and 8 shot but who else has? There will nor be a change until there is evidence that a change is warranted. I'll be looking for you out on the range.

If you guys want a change, show up and shoot your guns in L-10, production, and open. Sitting here typing about it is easy, show the board that you have the numbers. There has been a lot of talk about this over the years but I have only seen a few people do it at majors. Mike Sousa shot production at the nationals a few years back with and 8 shot but who else has? There will nor be a change until there is evidence that a change is warranted. I'll be looking for you out on the range.

Hey you almost look as good on tv as you do in person and congrats on making it past the second week.

Dean

I agree, allow 8-shot open revolvers and i'd definately shoot revo ALOT more.

There's nothing keeping you from shooting your Open revolver in Open.

Wow, that would be alot of fun, competing against full race guns. That makes as much sense as six shot guns shooting in Limited class or production class for that matter. Same thing.

Edited by mrmetalweld57

It is fine to show up and shoot with a revolver in another division and when the scores are posted and the final tally is done on how many shooters were in each division. It will only show me as another open shooter, L-10 or production shooter without reference to what gun I was shooting. So if I shoot open and finish towards the last everyone will just think that I probably need to change divisions as they will not have any idea that I competed with a revolver. How did L-10 come around was it due to the ban on high capacity mags or did just a bunch of guys just start showing up with 10 round mags and USPSA noticed and then created a division for them?

I for one would like to see an experimental revolver match shot with open revolvers allowed to shoot against each other and see how many would come. I think the MCC would be a great place to try this but it is not my match to do so. I don't mind shooting at local matches as the travel is near and the entry is only $10 to $15. But to travel hundreds or even thousands of miles pay $150 to $250 entry fee then hotel costs, plane tickets and car rental to prove that I am an idiot to try and compete against the open guns. Sorry but I can make an idiot of myself without the cost and again who would know that I was there trying to prove a point and who would care. :surprise:

There will nor be a change until there is evidence that a change is warranted.

The number of people shooting ICORE looks like pretty good evidence to me. Friendly to ALL revolvers.

Bingo

I would buy a 8 shot revolver today if I could use it in icore and uspsa equally.

Edited by ShootsinRain

Ya, know, I'm sitting back reading this thread without owning one single revolver. My guess is Sedro would perk up and take notice if IDPA approved 8 shot revolvers (to shoot all 8 rounds) in IDPA matches. It seems lately that IDPA is trying to keep and recruit wheelgunners when they lowered the PF floor for SSR.

When you say open it up to 8 shot revolvers would you limit them to minor scoring? If not wouldn't you have immediately made every current USPSA specific revo obsolete? All it would take would be one 8 around array on a stage to bury the six shooters with a standing reload.

If 8 shots were allowed in 625 division.....I mean revo, I think they would need to be limited to minor scoring or it would just start a new arms race in the USPSA side of revoland. While I like the idea of it to some extent I dont think it would help the division grow, only divide it.

When you say open it up to 8 shot revolvers would you limit them to minor scoring? If not wouldn't you have immediately made every current USPSA specific revo obsolete? All it would take would be one 8 around array on a stage to bury the six shooters with a standing reload.

Open class - no holds barred, up to eight shots, dots, comps, whatever. Major or minor.

Limited class - six shot, iron sighted.

Wouldn't change the current class at all. Just add more shooters in another one.

Why would you want to make Revolver more like the other divisions? Doesn't make any sense to me.

If we had two revolver classes, then I could shoot totally alone instead of one other person in my division.

If 8 shots were allowed in 625 division.....I mean revo, I think they would need to be limited to minor scoring or it would just start a new arms race in the USPSA side of revoland.

An 8 shot scored minor against a 6 shot scored major makes the 6 shot obsolete.