Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

juniors and major/minor scoring...

slee

Just curious to see if more people would support or be against juniors,say under 13 for example, being able to compete getting scored major while shooting minor. I know the simple answer is to let them shoot production, but some prefer other divisions for the same reasons we do...

I would think Juniors are mostly competing against other juniors so a Junior scoring system(based on major pf scoring) wouldn't really change anything other than padding their scores. If they are talented enough to compete with adults, hold them to the same rules. It will make them better in the long run, imo.

Since women's scores are usually lower should we give them extra points too?

No offense ladies, I'm just making a point.

No I don't think we should score kids major for minor loads. This is competition not an artificial self esteem booster.

I would think Juniors are mostly competing against other juniors so a Junior scoring system(based on major pf scoring) wouldn't really change anything other than padding their scores. If they are talented enough to compete with adults, hold them to the same rules. It will make them better in the long run, imo.

I definitely agree that it will make them better in the long run...But, the definition of Junior is a pretty large age group...under 18. What if the talent is there, but the size and strength hasn't quite made it yet? I was just thinking in terms of what we as adults, or even 16-17 yr olds, need to do to acquire major scoring. It has to be AT LEAST what a 10,11,12 yr. old deals with when shooting a minor load.

Why do they have to shoot major if they can't handle it? I know some women who shoot minor because they can't handle the recoil and neither I nor they think they should be given extra points simply because they can't handle the recoil of the caliber that they chose to compete using.

This is a slippery slope and where does it end up? Shooters with lesser strength shooting with .22 for score?

Edited by spanky

Woo-wee! You guys are some TOUGH competitors! :goof:

But I gotta say...If I'm shooting a match and a see a 70 lb. kid competing (getting scored major), I really don't think it would ruffle my feathers.

We might have to lock you and 40S&W in a room together.

He wants to get rid of Major scoring and you want to give it away for free.

Who ever makes it out of the room first wins.

I must've missed that one. :roflol:

We might have to lock you and 40S&W in a room together.

He wants to get rid of Major scoring and you want to give it away for free.

Who ever makes it out of the room first wins.

Now wait a minute! I never said that I wanted this or thought that this is how it should be...Just that I was curious (which I'm not anymore!) and that it wouldn't bother me.

For the record, I have a junior shooter that competes using major and minor and he knows the difference as well as accepts it.

Now, who is this 40S&W and does he have any cold beer?

Since women's scores are usually lower should we give them extra points too?

No offense ladies, I'm just making a point.

No I don't think we should score kids major for minor loads. This is competition not an artificial self esteem booster.

The score is the score, this is a sport with physical aspects, juniors are competing against juniors so nothing changes if all have their score padded, and if their score is being padded then they really arnt competing against adults.

We already have a handicap system that works well, it's called you classification. Class takes into account your skill, ability and powerfactor.

That little girl at double tap proved juniors can shoot major strong hand only on one foot while leaning. :surprise:

I don't think they need any help.

I believe Maize was shooting 150pf that day with her Glock 35. As far scoring goes. I don't think she even knows they add them up. It's all about the rush she gets at the end of a stage.

Edited by kellymc

That little girl at double tap proved juniors can shoot major strong hand only on one foot while leaning. :surprise:

I don't think they need any help.

I believe Maize was shooting 150pf that day with her Glock 35. As far scoring goes. I don't think she even knows they add them up. It's all about the rush she gets at the end of a stage.

Really? They scored her major according to the results. Either way, she rocks.

The thought that Juniors are shooting against Juniors is bunk. Sure, there is the "High Junior" award, but that is not the same as awarding 1st, 2nd, 3rd. There is no Junior category, there is the classification system, and there are competiors competing within that system that just happen to be Juniors. My boys have shot numerous Level 2 and a Level 3 match and they really were treated just like every other competitor, which is exactly how it should be.

Having said that, I do NOT think we should give them Major scoring. Judging by the poll results, most folks do too.

The thought that Juniors are shooting against Juniors is bunk. Sure, there is the "High Junior" award, but that is not the same as awarding 1st, 2nd, 3rd. There is no Junior category, there is the classification system, and there are competiors competing within that system that just happen to be Juniors. My boys have shot numerous Level 2 and a Level 3 match and they really were treated just like every other competitor, which is exactly how it should be.

Having said that, I do NOT think we should give them Major scoring. Judging by the poll results, most folks do too.

Yeah...There is. Junior Category. Not Class, not Division. It's a category, just like Super Senior, Senior, Lady and Law Enforcement. You know the folks that can't shoot as well any more or yet and need a crutch. Wait did I say LE?

Scoring Juniors as major won't do them any favors. It just means they can get wild on the stick and not pay the consequences the way they would shooting minor. As far as the little ones not stacking up to adults, I remember seeing a tiny little spud named BJ Norris a few years back whooping everyone at a shootoff after the Florida Open. Back when he was about 3 feet tall. If you think Juniors don't like Major scoring, see how many will like it when grown men start making snarky comments after they get beat by that kid.

As far as the little ones not stacking up to adults, I remember seeing a tiny little spud named BJ Norris a few years back whooping everyone at a shootoff after the Florida Open. Back when he was about 3 feet tall.

Not sure that is the best example, Chuck...he was shooting Minor. :)roflol.gif

===================

I agree with most everybody else.

Our roots in Practical shooting are DVC. Power being a big part of Practical.

I have 2 juniors, 16 and 11. Both shoot. They started when they were 14 and 9. They compete with the adults. My younger son shoots single stack in minor and as long as he shoots A's, he is scored the same as the major power factors. I think it's important to score them along side of everyone else that is the rules. He is is not a kid when he steps to the line but a shooter and competitor.

Many years and many pounds ago I was a bicycle racer. Juniors were restricted to lower gears on their bikes. The official reason was to protect their fragile undeveloped knees from the strain of pushing big gears. But the sides effects were that juniors had to develop great pedalling speed and a smooth pedal stroke. They couldnt just power away, they had to be good racers. It produced better racers. (I have no idea if they still do this)

IF we required all juniors to only shoot Minor. We'd be building a generation of awesome A shooting machines.

Very unpopular proposition, I'm sure;-)