Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 40sw Mags, what the best combo ?

RippSpeed

I currently have Grams follower and spring w/ Bollen 4mm pads on my 140mm mags. And can only load 20rds in them. Is there a better combo to push 21rds ??? Or is there something I can do to my current set up ??? or be happy @ that ???

I would like to stay in the legal lenght for Limited Division 141mm, current setup measures 139.5mm

• 3 weeks later...

On three of my mags I run:

Untuned STI 140mm mag bodies

Grams Follower/Spring 11 coil kit

Dawson +1 SNL

Each one can hold 21+1 and are reloadable with 20 rounds

:cheers:

I assume 21+1 means you can start a stage with a barney mag which puts 1 in the chamber and then stick one of your mags with 21 rounds into the gun with the slide closed if that is the case, why would they only hold 20 rounds reloadable? I am very new to the 2011 thing so please pardon my ignorance.

On three of my mags I run:

Untuned STI 140mm mag bodies

Grams Follower/Spring 11 coil kit

Dawson +1 SNL

Each one can hold 21+1 and are reloadable with 20 rounds

:cheers:

21+1?? w/untuned mags....I have a couple tuned mags (1 Brazos and 1 Superior Firearms) that will not hold 21 rounds w/grams guts and SNL pads you can get 20 1/2 but thats what you need to make them reloadable. They are 100% reliable.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

You are correct. The issue is with the difficulty in inserting a mag loaded to 21 rounds. This is fine for the first mag, but often not feasible for reloading during a stage.

Does it load after you fire the round in the chamber ??? I tried loading a 21rd mag in pistol with an empty chamber and racking the slide, it wouldn't load the round in the chamber... This Saturday before the match I'll try it loading one in the chamber and see if a 21rd mag will load one in the chamber after firing a round...

You are correct. The issue is with the difficulty in inserting a mag loaded to 21 rounds. This is fine for the first mag, but often not feasible for reloading during a stage.

Does it load after you fire the round in the chamber ??? I tried loading a 21rd mag in pistol with an empty chamber and racking the slide, it wouldn't load the round in the chamber... This Saturday before the match I'll try it loading one in the chamber and see if a 21rd mag will load one in the chamber after firing a round...

just cause it holds 21 doesnt mean you should load it as such, especially a new mag. use 20 for now and when your springs break in a little you may(only maybe) be able to get that 21st round in there reliably.

to answer your other question if you have too many round in a gun you have to really slam it home for it to seat otherwise you will have a mag fall out after the next round is fired, plus can damage your mag and or gun (mag lips, ejector its all been covered on this forum before) i start the stage with 20+1 and the rest are loaded to 18. i get my Rescomp tube today so I will see how it compares with capacity soon.

just cause it holds 21 doesnt mean you should load it as such, especially a new mag. use 20 for now and when your springs break in a little you may(only maybe) be able to get that 21st round in there reliably.

to answer your other question if you have too many round in a gun you have to really slam it home for it to seat otherwise you will have a mag fall out after the next round is fired, plus can damage your mag and or gun (mag lips, ejector its all been covered on this forum before) i start the stage with 20+1 and the rest are loaded to 18. i get my Rescomp tube today so I will see how it compares with capacity soon.

That's great ... My untuned mags already loads 20+1 reliably... I'm asking the people with the same setup as me , with untuned mags that holds 20 reliably...

Either way I'll find out tomorrow

I run SV 140 bodies for my limited 40s with Bolen components and I can easily load 21 rounds. I call them 21.5 cause they can easily do mag changes with them. I also have 170 SV's for my open gun with Bolen components that load 31. I do my own tuning. Never had a flipped follower or any issues what so ever.