Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Benelli 3-Gun model M2?

CJW

I didn't see any other posts on this, so I hope I am not being duplicative.

Apparently Benelli is coming out with a dedicated 3-Gun version of the M2, and several guys in my squad at Summit Point this past weekend were trying out a prototype or pre-release version of it. I am not sure how they came by it, and I didn't get to shoot it, but here's what it looked like.

It's an M2, obviously, with a 3-gun logo in white on the right side of the receiver. It has an over-sized safety button (looks kind of like the DMW button), an Arredondo (or similar) bolt release lever, a gold-tone lightened bolt (don't know if it is set up to ghost load), a +5 (I think) mag tube extension (probably a Nordic), and since the barrel was flush with the tube I guess that makes it a 21" vent rib. I did not get a close enough look to see the sight configuration. However it was choked out of the box, it was a flush fit choke, not extended. I did not see the loading port, so I don't know if the carrier is modified at all.

The guys who shot it seemed pretty happy with it. :D

Anyway, since it was news to me, I thought I'd share...

Did it look something like this?

That's would be it---and apparently I was wrong about the tube/barrel being flush. So is that a longer than +5 extension, or a shorter than 21" barrel???

As for other folks' questions---I didn't even know this thing was a gleam in a Benelli marketer's eye until I saw somebody in my squad holding one Saturday, so I have no clue what price and availability would be... B)

Edited by CJW

I called Benelli today,looking for availablity dates, and they supposedly know nothing about it!

I've been looking for a 21" M2, and just wanted to know if its worth waiting for, or will I just end up with both :devil:

Could probably save money having it done yourself unless there is a tuning package included, but that thing looks awesome. The Salient gold finishes are growing on me every time I see them.

CM

It is a 21" barrel. The tube varries from shooter to shooter, but I use Nordic Components and it is more than a plus 5. The shotgun is perfect and needs nothing unless you don't like the sight that is on it. The bolt closeing tab (like the one pictured on this gun) is also a Red Neck Tactical part, and not available for general retail.

It is a Benelli Custom Shop gun and I doubt they would be considered cheap, and are not anything like what was talked about in "the other thread". Right now I only know of 25 of them so the one you saw had to be someone from Benelli, or one of the Benelli team shooters.

Jamie, since Trapr has been in Europe I doubt you could have seen anything of his, he gets back tonight.

Right now I only know of 25 of them so the one you saw had to be someone from Benelli, or one of the Benelli team shooters.

Well, I didn't see anyone in Team Benelli colors, and the shotgun didn't have the Team Benelli logo on it, but the guys who were shooting it did suggest that the person who brought it was connected with Benelli USA. All things considered, Summit Point is one of the better 3-Gun matches located anywhere near the Benelli factory in Maryland, so that might have something to do with seeing it out there.

Benny, that was the factory engineers in Italy, I don't think the U.S. guys even knew we were doing this to their guns...The Italians also told me "you Americans just shoot them too much, that is why they break" when I mentioned that if they made the shell cut off lever pin solid they wouldn't break as much....(this was before they went to a multi-roll roll pin for this aplication.) This was in 2003, last year the Italian factory guys e-mailed me and asked about buying some lightened bolts...things sometimes take a while. :roflol:

ok, so I'm completely clueless when it comes to shotguns for 3-gun but why make a 21" barrel length gun & then have an ext tube which extends past the barrel? Why not just go with the 24" length barrel? Is the 21" length so important for some reason in 3-gun that you do this configuration? what am I missing?