Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinning Grip Saftey?

D.Hayden

What is pinning? I'm assuming it's rendering the grip saftey inoperative.

Until I can get my Kimber into the shop, I'd like to disable it for tomorrows match. Can I just tape it down. Is that legal?

Or anyone suggest a quick/easy way for one match?

Thanks, Dave

I swear I searched....

I found this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6407

Where HTR was asking if pinning the saftey was legal, but no one answered.

Also, I found references to pinning, involving, drilling/tapping, and just pushing a piece of Shok-Buf in there..

Any way will work and is legal. I've got the tongue of my grip safety completely ground off so it still moves and has spring pressure, but doesn't engage the trigger bow. Another guy I know either cuts off or bends the leg of the sear spring out of the way so that there's no pressure on the grip safety and it basically just flops around. :)

Tape it and you're good to go... that's the easiest temporary solution.

I also know that there is a tread out ther that describes how pin the grip saftey by wedging a piece of shock buff between the grip saftey and main spring housing. Mine is done in a similar fassion. My smith welded a little "pad" on the grip saftey to contact the mainspring housning which keeps if engaged all the time.

Thanks all...

That was the same thread I read about the shok-buf..

At a class last week, the instructor suggested having a smith mill down a high spot to make it very light - just don't have the time. And with the grip he taught me to use, I never engage it...

If I only had the black masking tape, I didn't want to get DQ'd for an illegal mod.. thanks again.

What is pinning? I'm assuming it's rendering the grip saftey inoperative.

Until I can get my Kimber into the shop, I'd like to disable it for tomorrows match. Can I just tape it down. Is that legal?

Or anyone suggest a quick/easy way for one match?

If you're talking USPSA, then it's legal and your black tape will work just fine until you find a more elegant solution.

You'd probably get busted in an IDPA match, though! ;)

Berkim- Cut the grip safety tounge off, and it will never get in the way again. Nothing to get jammed and no extra steps to putting it back together. The grip safety becomes invisible once it is deactivated. If I had a match tomorrow, I'd cut it off tonight, or put it on a grinder. ;)

I emailed IDPA about this (I want to pin it on my carry gun bad, but it's also my IPSC/IDPA gun) and here's what I got back:

"IDPA does NOT condone the disconnection of any safety device on any gun."

Thanks,

Dru Nichols

IDPA

Administrative Coordinator

Even at the largest IDPA matches you will find 1911 shooters disable the grip safety.

It has been ruled to be Internal reliability work. Therefore legal under the current IDPA rulebook.

They do discourage the practice but understand the 1911 was designed without the grip safety in the first place, and some shooters will have reliability problems with it.

Well boys it depends on the day of the week you ask IDPA HQ this question....

I asked a couple of years ago and got the ok to do it.

Well a friend of mine wanted to do his and he didn't believe me and asked again and what he got that pinning the grip safety was agaisnt the rules. "you can't disable any safety in idpa..."

I can say that I have never been checked at a match....

Bob

The safeties on all my 1911's work with the exception of the one on my Open gun.

I shoot IPSC/USPSA and also 3-gun. Since it is not altogether uncommon to re-holster a hot pistol at a 3-gun, I like the additional safety. I have on a very few occasions not had a good grip and had the safety remain engaged. Generally it is not a problem. Most gunsmiths will not remove a safety feature unless they know you well. The grip safety on my guns are all of the raised or arched type. This basically means I can still ride very high and not have a problem.

THe fact that this feature was not originally included in the design is meaningless. Brake lights, headlights and turn signals are all in addition to the original design of cars, as is AC and heat. You want to disable all that too?

Jim Norman

The grip safety is redundant. The only times my Springfield has failed to fire for me is when I didn't have a good enough grip to disengage the safety. In a match, that's a bummer - but this is also my carry gun, which makes that safety a major liability, as far as I'm concerned.

- Gabe

Heck...it's been a while since I picked on anybody... :D

So...all in fun...

Can somebody point out where this grip safety thing is??? Sounds like I need to pin mine, but I can't find it anywhere.

(Photo from Dawson Precision.)

post-3-1082393631_thumb.jpg

Flex,

On that piece of Tupperware there is in reality, no safety. As soon as your finger is on the trigger, it is in the ready to go position. A DAO you at least need to PULL the trigger to cock the hammer back, on a 1911, you at least have a thumb safety and maybe a working grip safety.

Now if you have at the minimum a stock 5lb trigger, you are reasonably OK, if you have worked over a 3lb like some people you are an accident waiting to happen. My opinion only.

I keep my 1911 safety active, I have learned to grip the gun so that I depress the safety and I can also flick off the thumb safety very easily, or re-engage it.

All this having been said, I think that the addition of the firing pin block does go beyond the needs. After all the gun has worked for nearly 100 years as originally adopted, without tinkering.

Call me when Glock can say the same.

Now that having been said, I own several Glocks and will probably buy more, but I don't confuse a trigger latch that disengages simply by putting my fingger on the trigger with a safety.

Jim Norman

but I don't confuse a trigger latch that disengages simply by putting my fingger on the trigger with a safety.

Glocks have three safeties and the little trigger safety that you mention is just one. There is also a drop safety and a firing pin block. The 70 series 1911 also has three if you include the firing pin return spring as a sort of passive safety. The best safety is the grey matter between your ears, but some folks aren't too good with that one. :unsure:

The best safety is the gray matter between your ears. Well said, but you also note that there are more than a few missing a bit.

I still contend that the "safety" on the Glock is limited to the little lever thingie on the trigger. We are not talking about dropping a gun here, we are talking about the gun going bang when being holstered or drawn. Once you have the Glock in your hand and you touch the trigger, there is no safety. Withthe 1911, youhave the option of the thumb safety being on even if you have your finger in the guard and maybe on the trigger. Wrong I know, but still the safety does require an action on the part of the shooter to release and place the gun in the firing mode. There is no sererate action to remove the safety on a Glock. You simply pull the trigger. In a DAO or a DA with the hammer down, you at least have to pull hard enough to cock the hammer.

And again, I have a DA or two, I have a few Glocks and I have a couople 1911's. I shoot them all. I understand the difference between the systems. I like the 1911 the best.

My opinion.

Jim Norman