Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Food for Thought

Here is a great example of the importance of shooting on the move and smoothly. Watch Matt Cheely run this stage. I had trouble finding the final scores on USPSA.ORG, but if memory serves me right, he won the stage with a limited gun.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a great example of the importance of shooting on the move and smoothly. Watch Matt Cheely run this stage. I had trouble finding the final scores on USPSA.ORG, but if memory serves me right, he won the stage with a limited gun.

That was stage 8, "Steel Mother" from the 2008 match.

And yes, he did win that stage (including all other divisions):

October 04, 2008 MILAN RIFLE CLUB

Stage 8 Steel Mother Place Name No. Class Division Points Penalties Time Hit Factor Stage Pts Stage %

1 Matt Cheely 134 GM Limited 115 0 15.30 7.5163 115.0000 100.00%

Next highest HF was 7.3389 in Open.

• 2 weeks later...

Read all 3 pages of this post again. I just did! I can't believe how much information I have put into this thread...

enjoy!

Sean, I reread them all the time. tons of priceless info in there, now every time i get on i check this thread first every time.

• 2 weeks later...

"The Match Hotel"

I think this is great that match directors set up special rates for shooters, and it is great to hang out with fellow shooters. Personally I am not a big fan of staying at the match hotel. When you goto a hotel on vacation, or some special occasion, and you see a bunch of people hanging around in the lobby. You can ask the clerk, "What is going on this weekend?" and they will probably tell you what event is happening. Likewise, with shooting events. Look at it from a criminals perspective, he notices alot of people who are out of town with possibly a valuable item to rip off and pawn or sell to other criminals. If a criminal knew there was a shooting event, and he was scoping each car and he saw what looked like a gun bag, you stand a chance of getting your car broke into. I know he would be crazy with alot of shooters staying in the same hotel, but it seems to happen every year at the nationals. Someone's car gets broken into and gets their gear stolen. Also if a criminal knows that there are shooters, he may have a gun also, so it could get ugly real quickly.

I reccomend staying in a descrete hotel. Always take your gun and your valuable possesions with you every where you go. If you go out to eat have all your valuables in your car within eye sight. We goto to these matches to have a good time. Can you imaging planning a match for months, asking your boss for those days off, loading your ammo, traveling, looking forward to having a good time,then comming to your car to see your window broken and all your valuables taken. I think you can lower this risk by being smart about it, try to think like a criminal when you go out of town, and this is not just for shooting events, this is life in general.

Thinking like a criminal: If I went to a hotel and there were a bunch of guys in the lobby, and I ask the clerk, "what is going on this weekend?" she tells me there is a star trek convention. I know if I look into all the cars and I see some boxes. The chances of breaking into that car and finding some trekey items are probably high. So pay attention to where you stay when you goto major matches, and take all your valuables with you, or keep them within eye sight.

Edited by Sean Gaines

Good post Sean, I think the same way. People always say "why you bringing all that," when we go anywhere but people have access or could break in to your hotel room and you have the chance to loose your gear. I would think a minimum of 1k, If someone got the cheapest gun, mags, belt, mag holders, holster, ammo, bag, glasses, ears. Imagine most of us would loose way more like 3-5k if someone grabbed your bag while you were out having a big mac.

Edited by LINC

"The Match Hotel"

I think this is great that match directors set up special rates for shooters, and it is great to hang out with fellow shooters. Personally I am not a big fan of staying at the match hotel. When you goto a hotel on vacation, or some special occasion, and you see a bunch of people hanging around in the lobby. You can ask the clerk, "What is going on this weekend?" and they will probably tell you what event is happening. Likewise, with shooting events. Look at it from a criminals perspective, he notices alot of people who are out of town with possibly a valuable item to rip off and pawn or sell to other criminals. If a criminal knew there was a shooting event, and he was scoping each car and he saw what looked like a gun bag, you stand a chance of getting your car broke into. I know he would be crazy with alot of shooters staying in the same hotel, but it seems to happen every year at the nationals. Someone's car gets broken into and gets their gear stolen. Also if a criminal knows that there are shooters, he may have a gun also, so it could get ugly real quickly.

I reccomend staying in a descrete hotel. Always take your gun and your valuable possesions with you every where you go. If you go out to eat have all your valuables in your car within eye sight. We goto to these matches to have a good time. Can you imaging planning a match for months, asking your boss for those days off, loading your ammo, traveling, looking forward to having a good time,then comming to your car to see your window broken and all your valuables taken. I think you can lower this risk by being smart about it, try to think like a criminal when you go out of town, and this is not just for shooting events, this is life in general.

Thinking like a criminal: If I went to a hotel and there were a bunch of guys in the lobby, and I ask the clerk, "what is going on this weekend?" she tells me there is a star trek convention. I know if I look into all the cars and I see some boxes. The chances of breaking into that car and finding some trekey items are probably high. So pay attention to where you stay when you goto major matches, and take all your valuables with you, or keep them within eye sight.

Great posts Sean - Thank you!

Don't forget the truck keeps things out of sight!

Steve

Edited by Browning40

"The Match Hotel"

Steve

What I meant by that statement, if you were going out to eat, get a table were you can keep an eye on your truck through the window. I think you get the idea...

"The Match Hotel"

Steve

What I meant by that statement, if you were going out to eat, get a table were you can keep an eye on your truck through the window. I think you get the idea...

Sean,

You think like a cop!

This is all excellent advice.

Colin

And that's just another reason I prefer a backpack-style range bag. Backpacks are so common they blend in well. I haul mine across my shoulder to and from my hotel room and vehicle with my blasters tucked safely and (hopefully) discretely inside. I've taken it inside of restaurants and wasn't given a second look. (Yes, I know that involves a measure of risk depending on the locale)

I also don't wear any Rob-Me-First! banners on my vehicles (NRA, USPSA, "Insured By S&W", "Keep Honking-I'm Reloading", etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

Sean,

Love the stuff you're throwing out to us here.

Great info.

I liked the part where you talk about recognizing the sponsors and thanking them....100% agreement that guys don't do that enough.

The professional dress is a tough one. I've been away at matches where I had to check out of the hotel in the morning and then go shoot the last day.

By the end of the day I'm dragging butt and I WISH I had kept that hotel room.

One time I had no choice as the awards/prizes were given out pretty much right after the last squads were done shooting.

Wouldn't have had time to go back and freshen up.

But I agree that when the time allows it we as a group should make a better effort at being dressed to impress.

At least a neat and clean polo shirt and khakis.

JK

Also at every away event I have attended (save one) I have stayed at the "match hotel" and have NEVER had any problem with security of my belongings.

I do however subscribe to your philosophy of low profile.

One time I had a family in the elevator with me and the kid asked me whats in the case?

Told him I'm in the band and it's my cello.

They believed me.

The ONE time I did have an issue was at (of all places) DIsney World.

I was on vacation and my buddy had noticed someone had just used his credit card.

My wife and I checked ours and we too had someone making unauthorized charges on it.

Shame on us for leaving our cards in her bag which was taken by hotel staff to switch over to new rooms at another part of Disney.

Cancelled the card and used another for the rest of the trip. Live and learn.

Good stuff Sean keep it coming.

"Off Season"

Now that you have shot another year of competition, it is time to reflect on your accomplishments and the things that will make you better for the following year. Also, we need to re-evaluate our gear, guns and accessories. Just because its the off season doesn't mean we stop everything all together, because your competition is not!!

Reflection of the last year

This is were the videos come into play, you can review the videos of you from jan-present. Take notes and really evaluate the little things that you could have done differently. This needs to be scrutinized in depth, with a pen and paper. Figure out drills that will allow you to incorporate multiple little things that you can work on with the least amount of rounds. I am a big believer in setting up drills that will work on as many skills as possible when shooting. For example, if I watch a video and I notice that my draw and reloads were pretty slow, along with my transitions. I would probably setup a drill were I would have 3 targets, draw t1, transition to t2,and t3 do a reload and fire one shot into t1, firing only 1 shot on each target. With this drill I can see what my draw time was, my transition time is, and my reload time, with 4 shots. Lets try to cut those times down 20% or more, if all possible.

Since most of the people will not be able to shoot, due to the weather, especially northeners. I would consider buying all the dvd's and books out there that you can. Since you will not be paying for match fees, and shooting due to the weather. Match fees are anywhere from $20-30, How much are the books and dvd's? About the same price, but the information that you can gain from them, can be priceless, and if you only gain one bit of information that will allow you to gain a few percentage points, what is that worth to you? You will have some extra money to buy books, buy dvds, and buy cd's that will help you for the following season. I have a nice video collection that I blow the dust off and watch over and over about this time every year. Each time I watch the videos, I catch something new that i "yeah, Yeahed" before, and has become paramount in my training. We need to do dry fire practice and occasionally get some live fire practice, but when you goto the range look at your notes to determine which drills to work on, so you don't goto the range without a plan. Lets take those grades of 2 and 3's on certain skills and bring them up to 8's(look at previous posts). Just as in shooting a stage, when there is a lull in the stage, we need to be doing something. Off season is no different when there is a lull, you need to be doing something also.

Re-evaluate your gear.

Time to go through that range bag, and throw out all your yellow sheets from previous matches, lol,and throw away those melted energy bars etc. look at your gear and see if it will hold up for the following year. look at your springs in your gun, and mags, and see if they need to be replaced. If you had some problems with your gun, now is the time to take to your gunsmith for fixing. Replacing parts, there is no better time than now. If you plan on shooting a differnt division, you have more work than others. You need to make sure the new gun is running 100%, and get used to the new platform, so you are not missing a beat, come the first shot of your first major match. if you have any injuries that you have been battling over the year, now is the time to go get your surgery if needed, or let your injuries heal. Now is the time to start a training program, like weight lifting and getting stronger. if you do this incorporate dry fire right after your weight lifting. You do not want to lose your quick muscle twitch reactions, by being to bulky.

Break your guns down completly and look for any abnormal wear, and see if those parts need to be replaced. Also this is the time to experiment with other things. like smaller or larger dots, different loads, different front sight widths etc.

this is the way to think about the off season:

If have,or had a doubt about something this past year, whether it be your equipment, your gun or anything now is the time to consider trying other things. you need to have complete confidence in your gear. Our minds our strange, sometimes when we get something new, we put more emphasis on training with that new item, and wind up excelling past our expectations, just due to the fact that we actually did something with the new item, instead of it just being there. Example. lets say you buy a cr speed holster because you felt the kydex holster was slowing you down. you get your new holster and do a bunch of draws with it, and you notice your draws have gotten much faster. Well it may not be the fact that is actually faster, it just maybe that you never really did the work neccesarry with the kydex holster. But at the same time this is a good way to play a mind game with yourself, and gain confidence.

This post has a whole laundry list of things to do, now get on it!!

See you on the range

Sean

• 2 months later...

"Season Begining"

Now its time to get ready for the upcomming season, if you haven't already. Start slowly, start dryfiring, and start seeing the things that you need to, to be sucessful. Go to the range and shoot some bullseye shooting, than shoot some bullseye at speed. Start shooting some local level matches. You will find here that some of the things will be a little rusty, and what will happen is you will remember some things that you were supposed to do, that you didn't do. Thats Great! Typically it is some small fundamental action that you didn't do. Next time you will put more emphaisis on that small fundamental action. The fundamentals should always be expanded upon, and and not taken for granted. I put alot of emphasis on this part since this will prepare you for the major matches, it will also let you know of some skill sets that need to be worked on before that first major.

Now is the time to start getting serious and get your calender out and start marking the dates of the matches that you want to shoot for the year. Also its time to get off to a good start and really put alot of emphasis on that first match of the year. Hopefully you have already gotten all your gear tuned and reliable at this time, if not you are behind the curve. If your gear is not working properly, you need to get this done asap. There is too many other things that you need to be working on, to let your gear distract you.

if this is your first major comming up talk to some other shooters, who have been to that match. Ask them questions, of what type of match is it. For example: Is it a match were the targets are up close, do they have alot of moving targets, what kind of match is it, a hosing type match, a match with alot fo no shoots etc etc. For those that know the venue, visualize yourself shooting the match, and visualize yourself taking the trophy home. Nothing wrong with that, because that is the ultimate goal. Right?

Right now, its time to work!! you need to dry fire, live fire, and start seeing some big improvements in your game. If you took a long break for the holidays, you need the most work. you must think that your competition is always working, so you need to step it up. because if your competition is working, your already behind.

conclusion: The holidays are over, and the fun and work begins. Expect big things this year, and do what it takes to make it happen. You must find motivation, where there is none, and get out there and start working, because your competition is alwyas working. Start doing your dryfire routine, live fire and shoot some local level matches to get the rust off, and get ready for the up an commning season. Expect great things, and they will come!

See you at the range!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reminds me of a quote, can't remember the person, but it's something like.......

When you are not practicing, your opponent is, when you meet him/her, they will beat you.

Also: “You always have to give 100 percent, because if you don't, someone, someplace, will give 100 percent and will beat you when you meet.”

both quotes are from Charles Edward "Ed" Macauley (March 22, 1928 – November 8, 2011) professional basketball player in the NBA.

http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/tag/edward-c-ed-macauley

I shot limited for the first 2 years, then switched to Open division and shot that for 2 years. When I went to open, everything seemed easy, the only thing I had to do was change my movement and being aggressive and efficient with everything. It actually came relatively easy for me. It actually got me in this zone of pushing the boundaries of everything.

Then I switched back to limited, wow! I took everything that I learned from open and applied it to my limited game, and I was shooting limited, like I was on fire! I easily made Master, in a month or two after switching over. But what happend was that when I was in open, all I had to do was see the dot and pull the trigger, everything else came down to movement and getting in and out of positions quickly, I had learned to do that in open, and then when I switched back to limited, I applied all those skills that I used in Open division to shooting limited division, and greatly improved my limited game.

Since I was asking about it in another thread, did you find that working with a dot helped you learn to call shots better? And did it improve your trigger control?

I shot limited for the first 2 years, then switched to Open division and shot that for 2 years. When I went to open, everything seemed easy, the only thing I had to do was change my movement and being aggressive and efficient with everything. It actually came relatively easy for me. It actually got me in this zone of pushing the boundaries of everything.

Then I switched back to limited, wow! I took everything that I learned from open and applied it to my limited game, and I was shooting limited, like I was on fire! I easily made Master, in a month or two after switching over. But what happend was that when I was in open, all I had to do was see the dot and pull the trigger, everything else came down to movement and getting in and out of positions quickly, I had learned to do that in open, and then when I switched back to limited, I applied all those skills that I used in Open division to shooting limited division, and greatly improved my limited game.

Since I was asking about it in another thread, did you find that working with a dot helped you learn to call shots better? And did it improve your trigger control?

It was much easier to call your shots with an open gun. When I shot open I used a 4moa dot and you could see the dot lift off the target. There was no front and rear sights to align. It was see the dot on the target and pull the trigger. To me it was easy, and I believe alot of shooters find it much easier to shoot. My programing of the stage was different also, I would look at things that I could do to shave off tenths of a second. Because I wasn't worried about my shooting, I was more concerned with knocking off precious time and doing things more efficiently. So what happend is I found myself doing things I should have been doing when I was shooting limited, ie backing out on targets, shooting on the move etc etc. when the shooting part is much easier, it allows you to focus on different aspects of shooting that you would not ordinarly do, which opens your eyes up to a higher level of shooting. So I feel that shooting open for at least a year, and you will find that your iron sighted game will vastly improve. just don't get addicted to open : )

As far as trigger control the best thing that I have found that help me is to shoot a "double action" type gun. In order to be accurate you must stay on taget through the long pull of the trigger. Every once in a while I will pull out a cz or revolver and do bulls eye type dryfire, and if you watch closely you can see if your sights misaligned the second the hammer drops. Then do it at speed, then with some transitions incorporated, it will really give you finger a work out. Then take your primary gun, and do some bullseye type dryfire, you should notice a big difference.

Good Luck!

-Sean

I recently switched to Open after shooting Limited and Single Stack for the past 6 years. I always struggled with calling my shots with iron sighted guns. I was able to start calling shots accurately as soon as I switched to Open. I have been able to diagnose and start fixing some trigger control issues I didn't see when shooting iron sights, but which are immediately obvious when shooting a dot. In less than a month, my A count has risen dramatically and I can really see what is going on... Very cool. As Sean points out above, I can now focus on the other little things I can improve on like more effective movement, entering and exiting positions, etc. It's only been a month, but I feel like I have learned and improved more in the past month than in the past three years.