Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 vs. 550?

Either way you go, you will be happy. I got a 550 last year and don't mind not having the 650 features. I use it for bulk pistol for USPSA and leisure shooting in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP. I still use a single stage for precision rifle loads, but thats because I am OCD with those. For bulk .223, I use the 550 as well. Either way you go, Dillon systems rock and are very solid.

How difficult is it to load rifle on 550, as far as seeing in the case? Thats what is stopping me from the 550 instead of the 650. 550 is more in line of my volume and then some.

How difficult is it to load rifle on 550, as far as seeing in the case? Thats what is stopping me from the 550 instead of the 650. 550 is more in line of my volume and then some.

I will tell you it is a little more difficult because of the smaller opening of the .223 copared to say 9mm, 40, etc... It does take a little more time so you can get the angle to see down in, but I don't mind the extra 2-3 seconds to make sure all the loads at least look right. I have done a little spot checking with the powder throw with my beam scale, but with the H335 I use for bulk .223 loads, it is very consistent.

Other than that, you will have to prep the cases before you load, to which I have a toolhead dedicated with a 1200 Trimmer. I run a Lee .223 deprime/resize die in Station 1 and the trimmer with the dillon die in Station 3. Yes, the Dillon die will resize, but I would rather wear on the Lee die than the Dillon die under the trimmer and I want the interior neck resizing with the Lee that you can't do with the Dillon 1200 Trimmer die.

I just got my 550b from Brian 2 months ago. The 550b for me is great. It was very easy to put together. It may not have a case feeder like the 650 or the 1050 but I like the 550b. I was also on a budget. My start up costs for everything was about $1,500! This price includes 8 lbs of powder, 2,000 primers, 1,500 bullets, etc. It will take me a year to make back the money because I only shoot a few times a month. I say 550B all the way unless you have lots of cash than go 650 or even 1050!

I wanted a 550 because it would put out plenty of rounds for my shooting. But the lack of case feed for rifle was what pushed me to the 650. All that prep work on 223 and then just be able to dump it into a hopper and go to town was/is great. the extra hole is also nice to run the powder check since its so hard to see the powder in a 223 case.

I've had a 550 and currently own a 650. The 550 is great, but it will never be as fast as a 650. Since I don't reload because I enjoy it, but because it's a necessity, the 650 was the way to go for me. Caliber conversions are a little more of a hassle, but the time saved while loading makes it worthwhile.

The quality of ammo loaded on both is identical, and it's just as easy to look into a case to make sure there's powder in it on the 650 as it is on the 550.

Edited to add- whatever you decide on, buy it from Brian. I bought both my presses from him and the service and shipping both times were top notch.

Edited by WellArmedSheep

What's the advantage of getting a Dillon from Brian versus direct from Dillon? I'm new and just want to know what I missed out on and what the OP can get out of it. I already have a 550.

What's the advantage of getting a Dillon from Brian versus direct from Dillon? I'm new and just want to know what I missed out on and what the OP can get out of it. I already have a 550.

Monetarily; shipping charges. Non-monetary value, look around you, this forum, all the forums here, the endless pages of knowledge in the archives. This is it, this is the end of the internet for a practical pistol shooter and an extremely valuable resource. Brian needs to be commended and supported every chance we get. Whatever he makes from shooting will fail to compare with what he has given back to the sport. When I started shooting there wasn't an Internet. Al Gore hadn't invented it yet. This site and the forums are a unique opportunity to converse with some of the best shooters in the world about shooting. I just don't think you can place a value on this. Supporting Brian's store is a simple meager way to give back.

Edited by dugout

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just an information, reading the Brian recommendation he suggest to do not buy the 650 if you are a novice in reloading. Can you confirm it? I have no enough money to buy first a 550 and 1 -2 years later to move to the 650.

Thanks. Mauro

Hi guys, just an information, reading the Brian recommendation he suggest to do not buy the 650 if you are a novice in reloading. Can you confirm it? I have no enough money to buy first a 550 and 1 -2 years later to move to the 650.

Thanks. Mauro

I have had a 550 and now a 650. I greatly prefer the 650. If you are mechanicly inclined you will have no trouble with setting up the 650. I find its operation easier than the 550.

If you are mechanicaly challenged as in which way do the bullets go in the magazine, you will have trouble with any of them. To me the biggest factor is do you want a machine you index by hand or do you want the machine to do it. All else is only limited by your determination to master it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...