Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Specific 1911 Advice

hankfan79

I am about to purchase a 1911 and I have a question for you guys.

There is a certain Sig Sauer on gunbroker that is going for a good price. It has all the bells/whistles that I am looking for. It has a EXTERNAL extractor. I know this is not ideal for the 1911 but my questions are these..

Are these extractors prone to breaking or malfunction?

If so, are the easy or hard to find if replacement is needed?

Is there a plentiful ammount of gunsmiths that work on external extractors in case something drastic happens?

Thanks

There is a certain Sig Sauer on gunbroker that is going for a good price.

Thanks

Might this be why it is going for such a good price? Just for the hell of it call and ask the price of a replacement extractor. Will aftermarket parts fit this gun if you want to add or replace something?

Pat

Edited by Pat Miles

The Sig 1911 won't fit in a normal holster, among other things.

If you're looking to buy your first 1911, I would look at something more traditional.

In fact, I personally would recommend against anyone buying the Sig 1911, because there are way better buys out there.

I am about to purchase a 1911 and I have a question for you guys.

There is a certain Sig Sauer on gunbroker that is going for a good price. It has all the bells/whistles that I am looking for. It has a EXTERNAL extractor. I know this is not ideal for the 1911 but my questions are these..

Are these extractors prone to breaking or malfunction?

If so, are the easy or hard to find if replacement is needed?

Is there a plentiful ammount of gunsmiths that work on external extractors in case something drastic happens?

Thanks

Sig 1911?!? Really?!? Dude...get a Spartan and call it a day.

Uh no thanks Alex.

By the time I do all the upgrades to it, I will be past the cost of this Sig.

Holsters are not a problem since I have the finest Kydex holster maker in the country just right down the road.

READY TACTICAL

Dave,

I appreciate the head up on the weight issue.

Nobody has answered any of my questions yet. :unsure:

Edited by hankfan79

My guess Wes is that not too many IDPA and USPSA shooters shoot Sig 1911s. Not sure if that means anything or not. I'll give you my thoughts on your questions, but I have no direct experience. I don't think the external extractors are any more prone to breakage than a normal extractor, if they were, why would a company like S&W continue to use them on their guns? I agree that the external extractor adds two more parts (two more things that could break), but don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. I know why purists don't like the external extractor, but have never heard someone logically explain a problem with them in principle. Parts . . . I have no idea, never looked. Gunsmiths - I expect that with all of the external extractor guns out there (Sig, S&W, older Kimbers), that there are anumber of people who could work on them if needed.

Edited by davehorn

If you want some excellent advice from a knowledgeable person(s) you can call Max Michel or Matt McLearn. Max shoots for Sig. Rumor has it, that Matt was heavily involved in the Sig 1911.

You can look the weight up on the Sig website. Just make sure it does not exceed the limit.

A long time ago, tuning the extractor was the prevue of the best gunsmiths. Now days, the steel is better (according to some) and many folks prefer the Aftec, which has two springs and a metal cap! More parts in and of itself does not necessarily mean a bad thing.

The Browning HP has an external extractor which JMB thought was a better idea.

Sig makes good products albeit a tad bit more than most competitiors.

Website specifications are more often wrong than right when it comes to weight.

As far as Max and Matt go...well they don't have to pay for gunsmithing and/or shipping. I would shoot any 1911 if I had a company providing the gun and services for me.

Ronnie,

Thanks for that info.

Just buy the Sig and keep track of the cost to upgrade the parts you want and how you do with the Sig. Then maybe the next person who needs the advise you will be able to give the go-nogo on the sig.

I have never owned a Sig 1911 but I had one Kimber with the external extractor, key word had. I think several manufactures went to the external extractor to save time during assembly, the internal extractors need to be fitted taking up time and skill is needed to get it correct. The external extractors are just assembled, quicker to put the gun together lower labor cost.

I'm sure some work very well but I would rather have a pistol with the internal extractor. Want the pistol for competition think hard about adjustable sights, that's a must have for competition. Use Ready Tactical holsters for my 1911's and Glock 34, good holsters.

JMB did not design the Hi Power with an external extractor. It was changed from internal to external by FN later in production.

External extractors on a 1911 is like spitting in JMBs eye.

The Browning HP has an external extractor which JMB thought was a better idea.

I've got a Sig C3 1911 which has an external extractor, and it works great. I had issues with the last round of magazines coming out instead of feeding, but it was a recoil spring issue. This gun functions well and works well for me.

Also, for the record, Sig 1911s *do* fit 'normal' 1911 holsters, or at least my C3 does :-)

My STX Sig 1911 has not had a problem w external extractor after 2k rds. My local smith is a 1911 guru and he will work on the external extractor so I would imagine in a larger area you will find someone to work on it.

I am partial to sig but I say go for it.

Edited by junkie

I would run that Sig and not worry about it. Seems lots of people have heard about the external extractors breaking but no one has ever had one break or witnessed one break themselves. As to the weight, I know that STX and the XO will make weight with a mag well. You don't see a lot of Sig's out there, but they are as accurate and as well made as most anything else.

Pzak

Ive shot an XO and if I ever find a deal on one Ill get it. I like em. They do not look like most 1911's. Not a huge fan of the external extractor but the ones my buddy has seem to work ok.

I believe John and his brother developed the prototypes for the HP35. John's son went to Europe to work on the prototypes. Saive did major designs improvements. The HP had an internal extractor that was prone to breaking and went to the external extra probably in the early sixties.

I am not BHP expert or historian but they do make a fine sidearm. Bill at Cylinder & Slide spent a couple of hours with me talking about the firearm. Ralph Gutekurst, member of the Pistolsmith Guild and Irv from BarSto spent some time on mine.

As far a spitting in eye of JMB is a bit much of a statement, since neither of us have heard him utter a word about the changes the BHP has gone through over the years.

Again, If you want to know more about the Sig 1911 call Matt McLearn. He helped design it and it did become the Gun of the Year in some publications. Matt knows a little bit about gunsmithing and winning a world and national championship.

What upgrades do you think a Spartan will need? I have one in 9mm. It runs flawlessly. I did a 1 3/4 lb trigger job and changed the recoil and main spring.

Well "needs" and "wants" are different. I want front checkering and blended magwell.

Checkering will cost at least $200 WITHOUT shipping to have done.

Magwell at least $75 if new.

That would put me over the amount of the Sig and it comes with both.

Only thing I am not thrilled about is the fact it is a 80 series gun.

I owned a SIG GSR 1911 when they first came out, after 3 trips back to SIG, 2 replaced extractors and that it still would not feed 230gr ball ammo I sold it.

It was very accurate, however it would not feed. I broke two tips off of extractors. But it was one of the early ones that were produced, so I cannot speak to current models

I would by a Trojan

I almost bought a sig for the same reasons you are looking at.

I ended up passing but not because of anything specific, just fell in love with something else.

I have front strap checkering and find that I prefer grip tape on the front strap over checkering.

Mine is 35 lpi and is almost too fine. it actually feels smooth. I think 25 lpi actually feels tackier.

I do like the undercut trigger guard though. IMHO under cut trigger, high ride grip safety and front slider serrations are my "must have's" for a competition pistol. I'd rather have a tecwell sp magwell than the traditional "carry style" magwell and its still IDPA legal.

Maybe its just the fact that I get schooled every week by a guy with this setup...

If you like the sig, buy it. I'm sure you will love it and enjoy shooting it.

.......The Sig slide is just over a pound; mine weighed in at 16.4 oz. For a comparison I also weighed some Kimber’s, Spring Field's, and an original 1917 Colt; these ranged from 12.2-12.4 oz. With the Sig being my primary L-10 gun I put some carbide to it and whittled away---now the slide is 12.2-3 oz (the scale bounced between .2 & .3).

.......I let people shoot it next to theirs and the mutual comment is usually about the trigger, short reset, crisp...the usual. Only one person has commented on the weight feeling the same as their pistol (BTW it's stainless).

.......The extractor, after purchasing the pistol I did the usual azz-backwards thing and searched the net for any issue’s and came across the extractor, “…after 300-350 rounds they break”. Sure enough at round 326 it broke and within 48 hours I had my pistol back at home with the so-called second gen extractor in it. I have not had any issues since; I stopped counting rounds after 60K---I also have three NIB EGW extractors sitting in a box somewhere.

:cheers: