Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer problems on new 550b

Loaded my first rounds on new 550b. First 100 went OK...sorta. Priming bar would hang up going out or going in or both. Would hang then slam and wouldn't drop a primer into the cup. But, I managed to get good loads.

Second batch was worse in that I had to manually move the bar so it wouldn't slam. When it did slam a primer would fly out of the Dillon on to the floor.

After the priming buzzer when off, I began to manually move the priming bar back and forth to simulate wear. After a few minutes of this a primer dropped into the cup. This happened one other time. I ended up with 95 finished rounds, 2 primers on the floor (recovered), 2 late drops and 1 MIA.

Dillon tech support said I should get the priming bar stoned. I offered it Jack because I don't have a stone. What are my options to get the bar slick and smooth?

Thanks,

Burt

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Burt,

I recently replaced the bar on my old 550 and saw the same problem. The bottom surface was so rough, it would hang up constantly. You could see the jerkey motion as the thing stuck and moved. Polishing it seemed to be the answer. The surface was so crappy, it would of taken a week to smooth it with a stone. I started with 320 sandpaper and went up in steps to 600. I put the sandpaper on a flat surface and moved the bar back and forth. I may now get 1 stick in 300 - 400 rounds and that is probably due to the looseness of my old press. Dillon should have the maker of the part to a bit more metal finishing on the bottom side of the slides! <BR>Also, the slide that I got has "chevrons" machined in the bottom. I don't know what problem these were supposed to solve but the bar that I wore out did not have them and it worked perfectly until the sliding surface got completely dirty. I could load up to 700 rounds or so before I had to clean the surfaces. I suspect that these slots collect crap and eventually add to the jamming problem.

Good luck,

Chuck

All you really need is a little lube. Also make sure that the assembly is centerd. To do this loosen the primertube screws, push the handle forward and center the primercup in ther hole in the turret, make sure the bearing plate is up against the frame and tighten the screws. They only need to be snug.

The first thing to pop into my mind was to lube it but being so close to primers I felt reluctant. When I called Dillon and asked about this the tech said, "absolutely not." Then he said I should stone the slide. I'm glad to read that sanding and a bit of lube will resolve this problem.

Many thanks for the suggestions!

Burt

Couldn't find any fine sandpaper or grease but had some One Shot on hand. Gave a light spray on both sides of the bar and it works much, much better. I found that the Primer Track Bearing (#14015 ver 8.1) was a bit...not smooth. The One Shot smoothed it out enought that there is no sticking. I'd still like a smoother glide but am satisfied with what I have.

Thanks guys,

Burt

watch for were the primer ass. bolts to the unit, the holes sometimes bulg and then hang the primer bar , it happend to me! I filed the bulges flat and have been a happy camper for many many k rounds.

Good luck!

Guest Larry Cazes

This system is designed to run bone dry......Dillon mentions this in their manual more then once. It may run with lube for a few hundred rounds but it will eventually collect a lot spent primer dust and get gummed up and sticky. Clean the system with ISO alcohol and lube with just abit of dry graphite powder and it will run well indefinitely.

SteelEye,

I had the same problem last night when I changed my 550 over to .45 from .40. I was amazed at how the primer bar was jerking around. I took it apart again and started smoothing. A stone will do it but it needs to be a course one. I used a very fine grit crocus cloth and had real good results. I use a silicone spray for lubrication. I spray it on, let it dry and then wipe the excess completely off. It's dry and slick. Graphite is excellent but if you use too much it makes a mess.

After my polishing and lubrication, the sticking was gone on my press.

OBTW, the angled grooves look to me to be able to remove the crud from the path the primer bar travels much like a road grader uses an angled blade to remove excess dirt from a dirt road. Now I know you city boys ain't goin' to know what a road grader is, so......

anyway, thats my guess and I haven't had any problems with mine.

FWIW,

dj

I use a little bit of graphite lube on my slide whenever it starts acting up...every few hundred rounds.

I found it at Home Depot (or was it Lowes?) at the counter where they make keys. A couple bucks for a small tube.

I do still have trouble with the spent primers getting kicked out and not going into "the chute"...sometimes one lands on the track of the primer bar and prevents it from moving fully under the shell plate. Really annoying.

Someone posted a fix for this involving a plastic tube that would carry spent primers down to a container on the floor...I'm gonna go look for that thread now.

DogmaDog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can polish the bottom of the bar with some honing oil and 800 grit silicon carbide paper. It does not really remove any measurable amount of metal, it just cleans up and smooths the surface. Also everu 100 rounds clean the slide bar way on the frame and finally cut 5 to 10 coils of the factory spring or get a sorter spring from the hardware store. This helps eliminate the problem. Some people have just added a second factory spring, this should work about the same. good luck.

Jim

I stoned mine smooth, and now just periodicly clean it well, and then spray it down with Remington Dry lube, or Hornady One Shot. Works like a charm. Also doesn' hurt to clean the actual primer tube every once in a great while, but keep that ABSOLUTELY CLEAN, no lube.

• 8 months later...

I was having the same problem with my primer slide sticking. I recently, about 2 weeks ago made a trip to the Dillon facility in Scottsdale, AZ. I brought my small primer slide to them to be smoothed. The sales rep took it back to the shop while I browsed around for a couple of minutes. To my surprise he returned and said they don't smooth them out for owners any longer. I was puzzled, and thought I would have to take the time to smooth it myself. Then, from below the counter he brought up a new type of primer slide. It was half the weight as the old one and was hollowed out underneath. It just rides on to thin rails and it is completely teflon coated like a non stick frying pan. I have since loaded about 1000 rounds with it without touching my assembly. I only occasionally blow out the dust and debris when I add more primers to the tube. I would call for the new type of primer slide immediately. I'm sure Dillon would be glad to mail them to you.

Hope this helps.