Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers - How flat is too flat?

CZinSC

I just tested a batch of ammo, and have what looks like flattened primers. How flat is too flat? From the pictures, anything you can see I should be worried about? Just loaded 500 of these up and really don't feel like pulling them, but I will if you think they aren't safe. Not sure how good the picture is, some look a little flatter than picture shows.

Background info:

Gun: CZ SP01

Powder: N320 4.3gns

OAL: 1.145"

Primer: WSP

Brass: Win, about 4 or 5 times fired

FPS: 50 rounds tested, Hi of 1084, Lo of 1042

What do you think? They definitely aren't all flattened, but some stuck out, Specifically:

First picture - Top row, 2nd one from the right, Second row, 2nd from left

DSC01972.jpg

DSC01971.jpg

They look ok, not great.

You really want a noticable radius on the edge of the primer.

The one in the 1st photo 2nd row middle is ideal, except it's hard to tell from the photo if it leaked gas.

The one dirrectly below it is about as flat as you would like to see.

Also I don't know about your FP spring or recoil spring but some have a little FP streak on them, like the barrel is unlocking while the FP is still extended.

That looks flat. But no primer flow. what bullet weight? 124gr? I just loaded 3.3gr N320 but im using 147gr. I haven't shot it yet though :rolleyes:

Knew i was missing something....Montana Gold 124 FMJ

They look ok, not great.

The one in the 1st photo 2nd row middle is ideal, except it's hard to tell from the photo if it leaked gas.

Also I don't know about your FP spring or recoil spring but some have a little FP streak on them, like the barrel is unlocking while the FP is still extended.

You think I'm OK shooting these, for a major match?

Planning on replacing the FP, recoil, and hammer springs before match (next week).

This is a little drift but not much, one time I used WSPP for 9mm, 7.4gr Autocomp, 1.168 OAL, 124gr JHP MG, (major load) pushing about 1350fps, primer was FLAT, but no flow. Used it for about 5 matches before switching to rifle primers.

If its me I would be comfortably okay with your load.

That looks flat. But no primer flow. what bullet weight? 124gr? I just loaded 3.3gr N320 but im using 147gr. I haven't shot it yet though :rolleyes:

Knew i was missing something....Montana Gold 124 FMJ

They look ok, not great.

You think I'm OK shooting these, for a major match?

Planning on replacing the FP, recoil, and hammer springs before match (next week).

You look good to go to me. FWIW when the primer has no radius and flows to fill the chamfer around the pocket(primer looks like a mushroom when removed) then you are way hot.

It's not even for sure the flat ones are over pressure. Your at a 135 PF so it could be the gun like a long chamber. I wouldn't worry.

Good luck at the match.

Edited by Powder Finger

Obviously you have never seen a flat primer. Those are fine aka normal looking for 9 minor. When they get flat there is no corner the primer blends to the brass, add some more powder then it looks like the primer strike is a tear, this is when you order the new slide cause your breach face it about to get messed up and your firing pin is going to get stuck.

If you are concerned switch to CCI they are a bit harder than WSP, and magnums are even harder but you have to adjust the powder down with the magnum.

Yes, I've seen flat primers and primer flow, but have not ruined a breach face.

I shoot 4.0gr in my Shadow w/124gr MTG RN at 1.145 @128 pf, tried a bunch of powders with 124gr and find you just can't beat N320. I like the 147gr Zero JHP's, shoots like air soft.

Edited by CocoBolo

Obviously you have never seen a flat primer.

Some say these (in my pic) are not the worst... but I would be reluctant to shoot loads like THAT one - to me they are rather FLAT! :)

The primers in the original post pictures all look fine to me.

post-21305-081334300 1305325586_thumb.jp

Edited by Foxbat

This is a little drift but not much, one time I used WSPP for 9mm, 7.4gr Autocomp, 1.168 OAL, 124gr JHP MG, (major load) pushing about 1350fps, primer was FLAT, but no flow. Used it for about 5 matches before switching to rifle primers.

If its me I would be comfortably okay with your load.

Mine chrono'd 1395fps for 172PF

124mg JHP

1.172 OAL

7.2 AC

.375 crimp

WSRP

Elevation and outside temp maybe?

Edited by OpenDot

Yeah- those are fine IMO. I shoot 3.8gr W231 with Berrys 147gr 9mm bullets with Federal primers out of my G34.... that are much flatter. I've shot 10s of thousands that way without issue... Almost like the primers posted by Foxbat.

You don't want to go by simply primers alone in gauging chamber pressure. For one thing primers come in different thicknesses/ hardnesses, so that a flattened Federal is normal, whereas a flattened CCI might make me stand up and take notice. Yours look to be Winchester, and as has been said, they look quite normal.

FiredPrimers.JPG

The photo above demos (L to R) light, medium and "put the gun down" fairly well.

;)

Edited by rfwobbly

You don't want to go by simply primers alone in gauging chamber pressure. For one thing primers come in different thicknesses/ hardnesses, so that a flattened Federal is normal, whereas a flattened CCI might make me stand up and take notice.

Good point.

• 3 weeks later...

My .357 rounds with W296/H110 are way flatter than all posted in this thread except maybe the .38 Supers and the right most primer in .357 posted above and I don't worry too much.

As long as your load is within a reasonable range of what the book says, not too short overall, chronos within a reasonable velocity for the load, and doesn't flatten primers like those .38s above, I wouldn't worry about it at all.