Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters (Again)

rick539

I know it has been beat to death, but I would really like you para fans to give me a hand. I have narrowed my holster choice for USPSA limited to: JR, Racemaster and Ghost in that order. If anyone has any of these could you let me know how the fit is. I have a P16-40. Again, sorry to beat a dead horse like this but I have been hitting my head on the wall trying to make a choice. Thanks

Don't have a Para, but I run the RM for limited.

Mine required a fair amount of fitting to the trigger guard for both the single stack and STI frames. YMMV.

It's pretty slick now...

What's a JR holster?

I have used a Ghost with my G17 Open gun for about 9 months. I'm sure there are some that swear by it but it's the only rig I've used that's ever dropped a gun on me. Something evidently brushed the lock lever and released it. I've heard stories at sectional shoots of the same problem with other Ghosts. I don't use it any more because of the possibility. Therefore, I can't recommend the Ghost.

I use a Hogue Universal for my P16-40 Limited and am so satisfied with it I will soon purchase another for my Glock.

I use a Race Master on my S&W 625 revolver and have found no problems other than being pricey.

If you shoot long enough you'll accumulate a box of holsters that missed the mark. Welcome to the club. :cheers:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I believe it will come to a point where we as gun owners and constitutionalists will need to use our guns in defense of our country, constitution, personal liberties and our lives. May God have mercy on the souls of those that try to take any of these things from me.

Edited by buckaroo45

I shoot a couple Para-framed guns. I used a Ghost holster for years. Not an excellent fit but secure when locked. A little nerve-wracking when unlocked. I then transitioned to a CR Speed. Very secure! The only issue I had was that I have 2 open guns that are different barrel length so I need to move the platform if I change guns. I now use a Racemaster for both guns (which also have open and limited top ends). It works great now. Saul sent me an undercut block that I cut to fit the curved trigger guard of my frames. The RM that is offered for the 1911 was a fairly loose fit.

Never heard of a JR until now.

Later,

Chuck

I currently have a Blade tech DOH. With an extended mag release it will rub up against the middle piece of the holster and release the mag. I took a dremel to it but still have to put it straight up without a cant and that just is not my draw comfort. Plus sitting down and drawing with a DOH is a pain, so thought I would give something else a try.

I don't know about the other holsters, but the Ghost is off my list. I ordered one for my Para and adjusted it so it didn't move too much. On checking, I put the gun in the holster, took off the thumb safety and the hammer fell. I mentioned what I thought was a problem to the "gentleman" selling Ghosts at the Steel Challenge and he told me "only a f**k idiot would have the safety off in the holster". I am a firm believer in "safety in depth". I walked away and won't ever buy another Ghost. I use a SpeedSec now and I like it, except the locking lever, to me, is a little too easy to flick off.

How is the fit of the speedsec? Does the the para rock or is there any looseness when locked in? Is it the 5cw model or the new 6cw?

I have the 5cw. It moves a little, not as solid mas my Safariland 012, but it does have the lock.

I have the ghost, the old cr speed and the wsm2. I use the wsm2 exclusively. Also shooting Para in limited and in open. the reason i use the wsm is simple:

1. Same problem mentioned earlier with the ghost the trigger, it was cured when i switched to a short curve but still plays on my mind.

2. The ghost needed a pin hole drilled into the gun (although they have a pinless design now)

3. I have small hands so I cannot release the lock on a draw for the ghost and get a good firing grip.

4. With the ghost I had to come up on the draw to get it to release where as the cr speed i can just sweep it out which works better for me.

5. The ghost would take my limited gun but would not take my open gun becasue the trigger guard was a little wider but my limited gun had the dremel treatment which was ok since that wasnt a blued gun.

6. I stopped using the old cr speed because the belt loops were for a 2" belt so it would sway, meanwhile most mag pouches we use are 1.5"

7. The old cr speed was hard to get the perfect fit for the gun it alwasy seemed i was tweaking or torquing a screw to keep the holster angle from shifting.

All of these problems were cured for me when i started using the wsm2 and the cr speed comes with everything to make the holster sit exactly where you want it i have a short torso so the hanger system is great.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried both the Limcat and the original Ghost holsters with a Para. Both seemed to work flawlessly with STI/SV, Glock, or any other gun with a plastic trigger guard. However, with a steel framed gun, both would hang up if you didn't draw the gun just perfect.

I finally sold them both and got a CR Speed WSM, and life was much better.

CR SPEED are easy to modify so barrel length is not an issue The one in the pictures is for Glocks, I use it for my open glock my glock 35 an my glock 22. but the 1911 CR SPEED looks the same.

post-7365-041579200 1306643273_thumb.jpg

post-7365-024678400 1306643288_thumb.jpg

Edited by usmc1974

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the model A from brownell's for a round trigger guard Caspian open gun, I see no reason it wouldnt work on a Para, It is harder to adjust and less options than the newer more eloborate model but it's way cheaper, you'll find a place you like, and once adjusted your not gonna change it anyways. For a limited gun Id just stick with a Bladetech DOH, I do like the older 008, 010 Safarilands for the para though.