Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited about shooting the IRC this year!

(Actually, I've barely touched my revolvers lately--early each year I switch over to the 1911, to prepare for the Single Stack Classic each spring, and just to change it up a little and keep things fresh. Next week I will break out the wheels for the summer.)

I have only shot the IRC once, with my 625. This year I'm going to shoot Limited again, but with one of my 8-shooters. I guess I need to figure out which one is most accurate at 50 yards, huh?

It will be good to see you and Cliff, Mike.

I've been prepping for Bianchi for the last few weeks. Flying to STL Sat for the MO State IDPA match then driving to Columbia for Bianchi Monday. From STL to San Jose the following Tuesday - so I'm trying to limit the gear/baggage. I'll have to get triple duty out of some it!

Craig

Looking forward to it, Craig!

My 1911 season is officially over, so I hauled out my 8-shooter last night to start getting some trigger time on the thing. It was our weekly USPSA match, so I declared Limited minor. My plan was to shoot the match ICORE style, and try to get all A hits, right? Well, that plan went out the window as soon as the buzzer went off--I was definitely spraying them way too fast. Only got a couple weeks to settle down!

I shot my last USPSA match in Revo at USPSA speeds.. It showed as I had a few extra standing reloads.. Time to go back to ICORE mode for at least the next few weeks.. :)

Ya bunch of sissies... :ph34r: I can say that because I have no faster speed so I creep along at USPSA and ICORE speeds. :cheers:

A couple of questions before we go to IRC. Is it allowed to use 2 different revolvers, if both qualify in the same division. And is it Ok to use different ammo in the match (like XTP for Far and Near only). Both with the correct power factor etc.

Can't find these answers !

I'm pretty sure you'll need the MD or RM approval before switching guns.

You can use different ammo but you need to submit samples of both for the chrono.

This was part of an email sent yesterday by Ron Williamson.

Stage information is as follows:

Stage 1 Field 27

Stage 2 Field 23

Stage 3 Speed 20

Stage 4 Field 24

Stage 5 Field 26

Stage 6 Speed 30

Stage 7 Steel 25

Stage 8 Steel 25

Stage 9 Field 23

Stage 10 Field 21

Stage 11 Par Steel 20

Stage 12 Field

Stage 13 Standards 36

Stage 14 Speed 10

Round Count 335

Edited by revoman

After looking at the squad assignments I was wondering. Why are there so many shooters that are unclassified? I might be wrong but when I've looked at various action shooting sport major match results I don't think I've seen nearly as many unclassified shooters. In fact don't some of them require that you have a current classification to shoot a major sanctioned match? I know IDPA requires that you have shot a classifier within the last year, except for Master level shooters. thanks, Mark

Lots of us live in areas where they don't have an active ICORE presence. They used to require that everyone update their ICORE classification each year or it reverted to Unclassified, but frankly this really sucks when there is no ICORE club around. Yeah, you can set it up yourself and phone it in, but does that really count?

I believe they have classifiers that you can shoot this week prior to the match to establish your classification.

ICORE has always trusted competitors re classifying. The other option is the classifier match which is held the day before the IRC itself. Shoot that "match" and you will be classified for the IRC. I have heard, but have no personal knowledge, that competitors have been "moved up" during the course of the match, but others would have to speak to that definitively.

True. There are not a lot of ICORE clubs around. Some people probably have to go pretty far to shoot a match. But now once you been classified, don't you remain classified and don't have to update it each year? Mark

Wow, we're only a few days out! I'm getting really excited. Who would have thought that just a few months ago I wasn't even planning to shoot the IRC this year? Then I wound up with a freebie plane ticket in my lap, and started thinking about how I might be able to put it to use.....

We don't have any ICORE in this area, so for the last several local USPSA matches I have been running my S&W 8-shot revo (declaring Limited minor!) and going for all "A" hits in order to try to switch my brain over into ICORE scoring mode. Last time I shot the IRC, I blasted through the first couple stages in full USPSA mode, and had smoking fast times but marginal hits before I finally managed to settle down. While I haven't quite succeeded in getting all "A"s at the local matches, I've come close, and it's the best way I know to get some realistic practice under match pressure, and force myself to get good hits.

So get this....last night I figured I might want to change out my MIM cylinder stop and spring on my sweet 6.5" 27-7 before the IRC, so I open up my gun, right? Trigger stud is broken off in there! So I'm switching to my old beater 5" 627 at the last minute. Fortunately it shoots perfectly fine, so it's no big deal....but it does point up the need to maintain a good back-up gun just in case!

Anyway, my old gun is shooting those little .38 Short Colts very, very well at 50 yards, thanks to Doug Carden and DC Ammo, so if I fall down on the Far and Near Standards it's my own damn fault. I'm glad there is no par time this year. I gotta wonder if somebody will finally zero it--with no par times to slow things down up close, I think it's probably more achievable than ever.

Watching last year's IRC on the Shooting USA I was kinda surprised at how many times audible fixed steel targets seemed to be mixed into the field courses? Is this a new thing? I don't think I remember seeing that when I shot the match a few years ago.

Has anybody heard anything about the structure of the Sunday shoot-off? They indicated it was "improved" and "details to come later" but I haven't heard anything since.

I'm off to pick up a portable DVD player for the plane trip.

See you guys in a few days!!

Hey Mike,

Looks like I'm squaded with you, Cliff, and Matt. Too bad there aren't any craps tables in Morro Bay! Looking forward to learning from you guys.

As for shooting your 627 in USPSA, John Bagakis shot a match a few months ago with his 627 in Limited 10. So it was L-8 minor and he still won. You are absolutely right about accuracy over speed in ICORE.

See you a few days,

Seiichi

I'm getting ready. Driving down Tuesday from northern Ca. 7 or 8 shooters from our club are going, several for the first time. What an awesome week ahead. My first time was last year (only a handful of ICORE matches under my belt at the time). It was difficult, but I had a great time. See you guys there. Mark

Wow, we're only a few days out! I'm getting really excited. Who would have thought that just a few months ago I wasn't even planning to shoot the IRC this year? Then I wound up with a freebie plane ticket in my lap, and started thinking about how I might be able to put it to use.....

We don't have any ICORE in this area, so for the last several local USPSA matches I have been running my S&W 8-shot revo (declaring Limited minor!) and going for all "A" hits in order to try to switch my brain over into ICORE scoring mode. Last time I shot the IRC, I blasted through the first couple stages in full USPSA mode, and had smoking fast times but marginal hits before I finally managed to settle down. While I haven't quite succeeded in getting all "A"s at the local matches, I've come close, and it's the best way I know to get some realistic practice under match pressure, and force myself to get good hits.

So get this....last night I figured I might want to change out my MIM cylinder stop and spring on my sweet 6.5" 27-7 before the IRC, so I open up my gun, right? Trigger stud is broken off in there! So I'm switching to my old beater 5" 627 at the last minute. Fortunately it shoots perfectly fine, so it's no big deal....but it does point up the need to maintain a good back-up gun just in case!

Anyway, my old gun is shooting those little .38 Short Colts very, very well at 50 yards, thanks to Doug Carden and DC Ammo, so if I fall down on the Far and Near Standards it's my own damn fault. I'm glad there is no par time this year. I gotta wonder if somebody will finally zero it--with no par times to slow things down up close, I think it's probably more achievable than ever.

Watching last year's IRC on the Shooting USA I was kinda surprised at how many times audible fixed steel targets seemed to be mixed into the field courses? Is this a new thing? I don't think I remember seeing that when I shot the match a few years ago.

Has anybody heard anything about the structure of the Sunday shoot-off? They indicated it was "improved" and "details to come later" but I haven't heard anything since.

I'm off to pick up a portable DVD player for the plane trip.

See you guys in a few days!!

Hey Mike. I look forward to seeing you. You and Matt will be a couple bays over. A limited? Really? I just moved down a couple more places. You may may right about the Far and Mear. Rich Wolfe shot a -.44 today at the Richmond match. Match conditions, but still not the IRC. Good luck to all. Even you Bubber. Richard

Really looking forward to seeing everybody.

Richard, I really do have a funny feeling the Hogues may wind up paying out the $1000 bounty. Not having the par times changes the game quite a bit--a good shooter having a good day could significantly beat the old par times on all four shooting positions. It would be pretty amazing to pull it off with iron sights, but it's conceivable it could happen.

Seiichi, if we decide to fire up a dice game at the Motel 6 in Morro Bay, we'll leave the light on for ya! :lol:

Rich did shoot a -.44 @ Richmond.. but it was not the real F&N but it was "Nearly Far & Near" since the 50 yard shot had to be shortened up 15 ft... (45 yards instead of 50).. It should be interesting none the less...

Really looking forward to seeing everybody.

Richard, I really do have a funny feeling the Hogues may wind up paying out the $1000 bounty. Not having the par times changes the game quite a bit--a good shooter having a good day could significantly beat the old par times on all four shooting positions. It would be pretty amazing to pull it off with iron sights, but it's conceivable it could happen.

Seiichi, if we decide to fire up a dice game at the Motel 6 in Morro Bay, we'll leave the light on for ya! :lol:

What planes are you flying in on? I am flying on US Air and my plane leaves at 7:50 AM to Phoenix and then 10:07 AM to San Luis Obispo and arrive at 11:53 AM. Also staying at Motel 6.