Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has Midway USA went nuts?

The flat rate boxes from USPS are terrific to use.....but not all businesses can use them, depending on how their shipping is set up. Its not always as easy as people think.

(This is NOT me standing up for Midway in anyway B) )

Midway offers the option of using the USPS Flat Rate shipping but many times it is cheaper to use UPS or FedEx instead. I just placed an order on Midway just last night and the cost of shipping USPS Flat Rate was something like $10.50 while the cost for UPS was just under $7. I don't know if one method takes longer to deliver the items than the other so I just went with the least expensive of the two.

The prices on all of the items that I ordered was less expensive on Midway (one of them was nearly $30 cheaper than most any other internet store). They also seem to have the items I am looking for more often than others too. My experience with Midway have always been pleasant and I have nothing but praise for their service.

Having been involved in retail business for a long time I agree with them charging a "convenience fee" on smaller orders. Their profit margin is small compared to other companies and they wouldn't be making any money if I was just ordering $5 or $10 worth of parts every couple of months.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer to order from companies like Shooters Connection, CPWSA, Reddot etc. I always been done right by them and support them whenever I can.

Also, I work at UPS and somebody's got to pay my exorbitant salary.

I buy some things from Midway but it's because they are the only ones with what I want in stock or have a really great deal on it. I check the shipping before ordering as they generally are too high. Add that to the fact I have to pay sales tax for living in MO, and it can get expensive. So they really have to have a deal or something I badly need to order from them.

Another thing, if an item is backordered and some of the stuff in my order isn't, I will cancel the backorder (and sometimes the entire order). Otherwise I pay shipping twice.

Brownells is still my usual go to place and they don't double tap me on shipping for backorders.In all cases, it pays to shop around.

Craig

I just picked out three items at grafs. All three came up as a higher price in the shopping cart than in their online catalog. All three were backordered...wow.

They might have a credit card surcharge, so the chosen method of payment might have hiked it up. I believe they have a "small order" fee too.

I agree with all the positive comments about Shooters Connection and Brownells. Both are excellent well-managed companies that are a consistent pleasure to deal with, and both are stand-up sponsors for our shooting events. I tend to use Brownells for gunsmithing stuff because they are only an hour down the road here in Iowa. But every time I have ordered through Shooters Connection I have received perfect service and fast shipment. And what a pleasure it is to open a package and find a personal "Hi Mike!" hand-written on the invoice from Michael or Chuck. These guys have it figured out that the little things count for a whole lot in this world. Kudos to 'em.

I have been bitten by the Midway shipping bug. Charged $8 to ship a 2oz backordered part I had forgotten about.

Worst I have ever experienced was Smith Enterprises. Lost the bolt to a m21 mount when I moved. Called to get a replacement. $20 for a bolt, but was assured it would ship the least expensive way. It arrived in a padded envelope with a $1.50 or so stamp on it. Opened the envelope and there was an invoice for the $20 bolt and a $10 charge for shipping. Called to complain, but got nowhere. I'll never use their product again...

I stopped ordering from Midway a looong time ago because of their shipping rates which seems to not be in line with other shops. And the more $$$ you spend, the more shipping seems to go up and it is not necessarily due to weight.

I have been bitten by the Midway shipping bug. Charged $8 to ship a 2oz backordered part I had forgotten about.

One of the good things regarding Brownells, if an item or items are backordered, Brownells picks up the shipping when the item(s) are back in stock. On a recent order I had three items backordered, the items came in at different times so Brownells paid for three additional shipping charges. My go to supplier.

Pat

In dealing with their customer service computer I found they never really addressed my written concerns. They answered with canned responses that came close so I buy only what I can not get from others and always do a google search for Midway Coupons to use on check out which usually offset shipping overages.

Ironic timing for this thread. I just had a recent experience with Midway on this very topic. My email back and forth to them follows below, but I'll give you the summary of the order:

2 boxes of 25 IPSC targets $11.74 each = 23.48. They then added $3 Handling fee, and $26.23 for shipping!

On the other hand, Shooters connection wants $49 for 100 targets, and they will charge $15.92 for shipping.

So, double the weight, at half the cost.

I naturally didn't hit send on the Midway order. But i left the items in my cart and forgot about it. Couple of days later I got an email from Midway asking why I didn't finish the order, and if there was anything they could do. LOL, yeah, I got something to say. Normally I would have just deleted, but this time I felt like responding. I felt I was polite, but got my point across. Doesn't seem like a form letter response, but clearly they aren't getting the message that I'm taking my business elsewhere.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM, MidwayUSA Customer Service < customerservice@midwayusa.com> wrote:

Hello Glenn,

Just a reminder, you did not complete your order at MidwayUSA.com. We want to make sure we do everything we can to help. If there was a problem on our end, or there is any way we can help, just let us know by replying to this email.

Thanks for Your Business,

Larry Potterfield,

Founder and CEO of MidwayUSA

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 12:48 PM

To: MidwayUSA Customer Service

Subject: Re: MidwayUSA.com would like your feedback...

I didn't submit the order because I felt the shipping charges were outrageous. I love MidwayUSA and purchase from you often, but the shipping charges on this order seemed excessive to me.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM, MidwayUSA Customer Service Customer.Service@midwayusa.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. Allan,

Thank you for your recent email. We add Postage, Handling & Insurance to all orders. These charges are calculated at the time the order is placed, based on the number of packages in the order, the weight and dimensions of each package, the dollar amount of the order (for insurance purposes only) and the shipping address. The shipping fee calculates for the in-stock items while backordered items have a separate shipping charge.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday throughFriday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Cathey

MidwayUSA Customer Service

Sent: Monday, May 2, 2011 8:00 PM

To: MidwayUSA Customer Service

Subject: Re: MidwayUSA.com would like your feedback...

I understand your response. However, you should know, that two other vendors are offering these same targets, in boxes of 100 ( double the order I was going to place with you ), and the shipping was half the cost. I'm not sure how they can ship a box that weighs twice as much, and charge half as much for shipping. Needless to say, they will get my business for the purchase.

Thank you,

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM, MidwayUSA Customer Service <Customer.Service@midwayusa.com> wrote:

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for your recent email regarding shipping costs. I apologize, but at this time we do not offer any price match guarantees for any of our products. We do offer:

" Regular monthly sales and Clearance items listed on our website at www.midwayusa.com

" Promotional emails with different sales and coupon codes

" A 32-page Monthly Sales Flyer (this can be sent via email or postal service)

We thank you for your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion with us. Larry reviews our shipping options annually with his senior leadership team and your feedback is certainly appreciated and will go towards improving the process in the future.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT. You may also email us atcustomerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Charlotte

MidwayUSA Customer Service

One of the good things regarding Brownells, if an item or items are backordered, Brownells picks up the shipping when the item(s) are back in stock. On a recent order I had three items backordered, the items came in at different times so Brownells paid for three additional shipping charges. My go to supplier.

Pat

Dillon does the same thing, which is how it should be done.

be

I ordered a S&W new style thumbpiece (12.00/15.00 part) don’t remember now.

I forget shipping (ordered other stuff too).

The bag had the right ID numbers but the part inside was a yoke screw (2.00 part), so I sent it back cost me about 5.00. I sent a letter with it telling them that the label matched what I ordered but the part in the bag was wrong, I also sent them this info by email. About 2 weeks later I get a package from them, inside I find a letter of apology, a bill for $8.00 shipping and a bag with the right label and inside a yoke screw. I kept the screw, did not pay the shipping and have not done business them since.

If I had sent it back a second time “and then got the right part” it would have cost $26.00 shipping for a 6 gram $12.00 part. As is I have about $17.00 into a $2.00 part.

I had done business with them for years and had never had anything go wrong before.

I recall a meeting we had where I work a few years ago. "As suggested by a buisness advisor" We added "handling fees" to shipping charges. Purposly to generate additional revinues. Also instructed to round shipping charges up. We were told "whatch your pennies and your dollars will take care of themselves" The "ADVISOR" is now CFO. Go figure.

BTW......I am job hunting.

"...and that's the way it is!"

Potterfield-0024.jpg

he's gotta pay for those hunts in Australia and elsewhere somehow, right?

89_.jpg

http://www.nioa.net.au/Gallery/Default.aspx?GalleryID=63

I have talked to a few people who have interviewed for jobs with them, or have tried to develop products with them (the discontinuation of the Frankford Arsenal vibra-prime quickly comes to mind :wacko: ) and the best word that I can come up with to describe other people's interactions with the MidwayUSA company is "flightey".

+1 to Reddotshooting. I have always received fair prices, fair shipping, and excellent service from this company. I would also recommend RedDotShooting for Bladetech Holsters-they carry a wide assortment in stock and you won't have to wait 3-4 weeks like you would if you ordered it from Blade Tech.

Edited by The_Vigilante