Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun recoil

dauntedfuture

ALCON,

Been shooting a 1100 TAC 4 for more than a few days and like the gun. Scatter gun sights, side saddle, youth stock and ezloader. Bought an M2 last fall have have shot it very little, 20" gun (I think 7 in extended mag) and feel that recoil is excessive compared to the remington 1100 with the same ammo. I know that the remington weighs a little more than the M2 but it still feels like the recoil system of the M2 is to blame.

im thinking about parting with the near new m2 to get a FN SLP.

I would like to know:

Am i smoking crack to think the M2 recoils more than the 1100

How is the FN SLP recoil compared to the SLP

Jon

ALCON,

Been shooting a 1100 TAC 4 for more than a few days and like the gun. Scatter gun sights, side saddle, youth stock and ezloader. Bought an M2 last fall have have shot it very little, 20" gun (I think 7 in extended mag) and feel that recoil is excessive compared to the remington 1100 with the same ammo. I know that the remington weighs a little more than the M2 but it still feels like the recoil system of the M2 is to blame.

im thinking about parting with the near new m2 to get a FN SLP.

I would like to know:

Am i smoking crack to think the M2 recoils more than the 1100

How is the FN SLP recoil compared to the SLP

Jon

The FN SLP/WIN SX2 kicks much less then the M2 as well. Both are tolerable. I haven't shot an 1100 in a couple of years so I can't compare the 1100 to the SLP/SX2. I have an SX2 which is ready to go, professionally machined loading port, welded lifter, Nordic follower, Nordic Charging Handle, 3 or 5(can't remember) Briley extended chokes and about 200 rounds through it I'll trade for your M2. I even have an extra tactical railed forend for it which provides even more recoil reduction(more weight :roflol: ). Box, Manual, Super Clean. It is my back up gun and I haven't needed it:cheers:

I've double shot my FN SLP at several matches, when another shooters Benelli took a crap, Each Benelli shooter that shot the SLP liked it. I have had no issues with the SLP runs and runs. I have the 22" SLP MKII. I shot a 1100 Rem for 40 years, gave it to one of my daughters that is now shooting that same gun that was new in 1970, which averaged abut 30 to 40 boxes of shell a year, serious Dove and Qail hunting, some skeet. The recoil of the FN is similiar to the 1100 but the 1100 weights less. 1100 Rem, well in all the time I had it I replaced the O-Ring twice.

Just switched from an 1187 to an M2. The recoil is softer with the 1187, but with 21.5" barrel, it weighs 1 pound more than my 24" M2. I just ran the M2 at the Texas Multigun Champ's and to be honest, I didn't notice much more recoil.

I've double shot my FN SLP at several matches, when another shooters Benelli took a crap, Each Benelli shooter that shot the SLP liked it. I have had no issues with the SLP runs and runs. I have the 22" SLP MKII. I shot a 1100 Rem for 40 years, gave it to one of my daughters that is now shooting that same gun that was new in 1970, which averaged abut 30 to 40 boxes of shell a year, serious Dove and Qail hunting, some skeet. The recoil of the FN is similiar to the 1100 but the 1100 weights less. 1100 Rem, well in all the time I had it I replaced the O-Ring twice.

Try practicing with 2-3 cases a week for months. Any shotgun with 8+1 configuration will run off the shelf for a single match. If you get in to heavy use, there really is no comparison. I loved my Tac4 just too heavy and too hard to clean every other day-gets really smoky dirty-uses lots of cleaner. Shoots really well. DVC

I personally don't feel any difference between the 3 of them. My new M2 w/comfortech stock feels the same as my 1100CM and my brothers SLP. I have shot all of them quite a bit side by side, and if there is any difference, it doesn't feel like much. I did shoot an older M1 the other day, and it was a noticeable difference.

Katie Harris who is a 15 year old thin girl shoots an M2 at major 3-gun matches and lots of rounds in practice. She weighs maybe all of 90 pounds, and I never heard her complain that the M2 recoiled hard.......just sayin. KurtM

BTW She is also a member of the Benelli team.

The only reason recoil would make a differance between those 3 shotguns is if you THINK it does. And if you notice it while shooting a stage you are focused on the wrong things..... :ph34r:

I just tested an M2, and a Remington, Competition Master, shooting low recoil slugs off of sandbags.

Yes, the M2 definitely has more recoil! :surprise:

I think what Kurt says is the exact point. I have seen many 11/87 shooters pick up a benelli to 'test fire' to see how much recoil there is and when they pull the trigger they grimace and say it hurts as compared to their Remmy.

The reality is that when you are test firing you are concentrating on the recoil so are very aware of it - on the other hand if you are actually shooting a stage with it, most girly remmy shooters finish the stage and then declare that they hardly noticed the extra recoil as their attention was elsewhere....

So cowboy up and no more sissy talk, if a 15yr old girl can shoot one without crying so can you, get some nuts !! (said in a BA Baraccus voice) :lol:

Can't comment on the Benelli as I don't have one..But, I do have an 1100CM and the FN, and to shoot them side by side, the 1100 is softer. One thing to keep in mind-recoil is present whether we perceive it or not. Get all jacked up on adrenaline, and you will not even notice how your gun is bucking, but that doesn't mean the recoil is not present and affecting your shots, and shot to shot recovery. Now, with that said, I think how much you practice, and how you do loading your shotgun will make so much more difference in your overall stage scores. If you want the softer shotgun, buy an 1100, and have a little more care put into the upkeep. Want reliability, buy a FN, want a good running gun with lots of aftermarket parts, and lots of quality gunsmiths that can make them run like rockets, buy a Benelli--BUT which ever platform you buy, you have to practice, and practice. If the recoil is still too bad, maybe ranching in Wyoming would be a better hobby for you.

I ran an 1100CM for 7 years until the last year when I got tired of all the issues with the 1100. Not going into detail

since most if not all of them have been discussed on this forum. Bought a Salient M2. Should of bought the Benelli years ago. Yes it does kick more, but not enough to stop me from loving it! Easy to clean, light and it works.

I did run some Winchester 2.75 dram loads and it functions fine with that light load, want to see how they take down steel with such a light load. Still using up my 3 1/4 dram loads I had to run in the Remington to get it to function, which there was still a chance it would not run. Don't worry about the recoil it is not an issue.

I find this thread interesting. Why is there such a difference in stance between recoil on rifles and shotguns? There is thread after thread on reducing recoil and muzzle flip on rifles, but mention recoil on a shotgun and you hear statements like "cowboy up", "a 15 year old girl doesn't cry about the Benelli", and "it's all in your head". The basic principle is the same. I'm not concerned about the recoil on my rifle in relation to "pain". I'm concerned about how far that front sight (or crosshair) comes off the target so I can get the next shot on target faster. Same principle applies to shotgun. The less my bead jumps, the faster I can empty the tube accurately. And let's face it, in shotgun it's all about speed AND accuracy. Makeup shots are expensive.

I have several 1100s that run 100% of the time. The 1100 is softer recoiling than the FN SLP and alot softer than the Benelli M2. The trick to making the 1100 run is to open the gas ports and keep it lubed. I have run 1100s for 1500+ rounds without cleaning using my reloads with Clays powder shooting skeet doubles. I do clean them after each 3 gun match due to shooting factory shells and grit getting in the action. I have owned a Benelli M-1 and an M-2 sold both and went back to the 1100s. I am currently shooting 1100 CMs for 3 gun.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I gotta say that I shot a friend's M1 and was really surprised at the lack of recoil. When I picked it up the 1st time, I felt how light it was and I thought "this is gonna hurt". It didn't. And I like how well it pointed even with the pistol grip stock which I don't like on shotguns, and I was pleasantly surprised that the recoil wasn't any worse than my dad's 1100 which for some reason knocks the hell out of me. Must be the un-padded butt plate, stock fit, something. It slaps me in the cheek pretty good with even reduced recoil buck and slugs.

But I'll also say that my SLP MKII recoils noticeably less than either but it seems heavier and doesn't point as good as the Benelli. I like the SLP a lot, they are good guns and it's the softest shooting SG I've shot, but The M1/M2 just works in more ways than one. If I ever start shooting a lot of shotgun I'll probably end up with a 'Nelli. :cheers:

Edited by Shadowrider

They all recoil.

I took a friends 10yo son shooting once, and he wanted to shoot my 1911 .45. First thing he asked, "Does it kick?"

I tell him, "all guns kick, some more than others, it doesn't hurt, just hold on to it tight enough you don't drop it, and I promise it won't cause any pain"

the kid fired off one shot, readjusted his grip a little, then proceeded to rip up the center of the target while the smile on his face got bigger and bigger. He just accepted that it was gonna buck a little, and as soon as that left his mind, he concentrated on the basics. I only wished I had picked it up that quickly.

Sorry for the thread drift, but that is my favorite recoil story.

Take the same shotgun load, and put it in a lighter gun, and you should perceive more recoil, but it's like sighting in your high powered hunting rifle at the range, it really beats you up. But, when you zero in on your prey, and squeeze the trigger, recoil seems as if it has vanished completely. Your focus is elsewhere. Same thing during a match, your focus should not be on the recoil, and if you're focusing on the right things, then you never seem to "notice" it.

I find this thread interesting. Why is there such a difference in stance between recoil on rifles and shotguns? There is thread after thread on reducing recoil and muzzle flip on rifles, but mention recoil on a shotgun and you hear statements like "cowboy up", "a 15 year old girl doesn't cry about the Benelli", and "it's all in your head". The basic principle is the same. I'm not concerned about the recoil on my rifle in relation to "pain". I'm concerned about how far that front sight (or crosshair) comes off the target so I can get the next shot on target faster. Same principle applies to shotgun. The less my bead jumps, the faster I can empty the tube accurately. And let's face it, in shotgun it's all about speed AND accuracy. Makeup shots are expensive.

Amen to that, brother!

I usually shoot an O/U, so the Benelli is nothing but normal for me. Some folks really prefer the softer shooting automatics, I just do not know any better. B)

Edited by pjb45

Amen to that, brother!

I think the point is this, a .223 mouse gun doesnt recoil in any significant way, put any of the top 5 comps on it an it recoils even less... a .40 major pistol kicks more than a 9mm, but its no .44 magnum,a 12g shogun will kick sum, if you base your choice on shotguns on the one that kicks less then buy a Remington or if a slight chaffe tis acceptable then buy an SX or SLP but if you accept that in reality in shooting a stage the perceived recoil of a shotgun dissolves into insignificance then buy a benelli, cos the rest of your worries is insignificant......

You can either accept this, ignore this or fight against this..... the fact is it the truth !

Recoil is a pre conceived state of mind, in a stage you will not even notice it, unless you are looking for reasons to fail !

I would guess the differance on stance between the two is really because they are apples and oranges to one another. Fundamentals of shooting asside the two weapons could not be more differant or used more differantly. If you do not realize that, any reasoning about recoil may be lost in an explanation. The very slight differance in recoil between the three is not nearly as important to shooting a shotgun as is the fit, swing weight, pointability, choke choice, ammo, how you point it (notice I did not say aim ;) ) etc etc. If you see your bead jump, your probably lookin in the wrong place.

And recoil on a rifle makes the biggest differance the farther out you go. Waaaaaay beyond any shotgun ranges.

There sure are a lot of experts around here... :rolleyes:

I think the point is this, a .223 mouse gun doesnt recoil in any significant way, put any of the top 5 comps on it an it recoils even less... a .40 major pistol kicks more than a 9mm, but its no .44 magnum,a 12g shogun will kick sum, if you base your choice on shotguns on the one that kicks less then buy a Remington or if a slight chaffe tis acceptable then buy an SX or SLP but if you accept that in reality in shooting a stage the perceived recoil of a shotgun dissolves into insignificance then buy a benelli, cos the rest of your worries is insignificant......

You can either accept this, ignore this or fight against this..... the fact is it the truth !

Recoil is a pre conceived state of mind, in a stage you will not even notice it, unless you are looking for reasons to fail !

Just because you say something is fact doesn't make it so. Energy doesn't just "dissolve". It's simple physics. Yes, when you adrenaline is pumping it may be less noticable, but it doesn't change the sheer physics of the problem. More is more, even in the worst public schools. But I'm not sure that you get to determine when the difference is negligible, and this discussion is about the theory behind it and applying that theory to real life. More recoil, even in the slightest, increases your time to next shot, all other things being equal (reliability, trigger, weight, technique, etc).

I would guess the differance on stance between the two is really because they are apples and oranges to one another. Fundamentals of shooting asside the two weapons could not be more differant or used more differantly. If you do not realize that, any reasoning about recoil may be lost in an explanation. The very slight differance in recoil between the three is not nearly as important to shooting a shotgun as is the fit, swing weight, pointability, choke choice, ammo, how you point it (notice I did not say aim ;) ) etc etc. If you see your bead jump, your probably lookin in the wrong place.

And recoil on a rifle makes the biggest differance the farther out you go. Waaaaaay beyond any shotgun ranges.

They are not fundamentally different, and they surely aren't on opposite spectrums of weaponry. But please feel free to "educate" me instead of copping out with a statement like "any reasoning about recoil may be lost in an explanation". If fit, swing weight, "pointability", choke choice, ammo, technique, etc is all the same, can you really sit here and tell me that recoil has no effect? And are you REALLY going to sit here and tell me you get ZERO muzzle rise from your shotgun?

Yes, recoil has more of an impact at distance. Not sure anyone ever said otherwise. But I would argue that static clays at longer (shotgun) distances are just as challenging as any offhand rifle shot at distance. It's all relative. They are different enough that 10 yards on shotgun doesn't equal 10 yards on rifle, but then again the targets are different as well.

I think some people are interjecting other issues into the discussion. The title was "shotgun recoil", not "which shotgun has the best recoil compared to all other factors related to that particular gun and all other external factors not regarding recoil". And for the record, I shoot a Benelli.