Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to study in the walkthrough

Imbel40

Everytime I do a walkthrough, I try to memorize the target locations, the places where I'll be reloading, what kind of aim specific targets need. I draw a mental figure of how to shoot that stage.

However, during the COF, I often find myself not doing what I planned at the walkthrough. I believe that anxiety kicks in and takes control.

So, what is the secret of the GMs during walkthroughs? What should I be looking for? What is the easiest way to memorize what was planned at the walkthrough?

TIA

Alex

The easiest way to memorize for me is to memorize less. Pick points in the course of fire that will put you in the best position to shoot the targets. When the buzzer goes off get to that point, shoot targets, get to the next point, shoot targets, ect. I guess you need to know what your sights need to look like on the target, and I visualize putting the sight in the center of the scoring area, but I don't "think" about it much, when you see the target you should know what you need to see from your practice. I see a lot of people trying to over plan. Sometimes I find in the heat of the moment, you do something you didn't plan, but that isn't always a bad thing. If you try to make sure you always have some extra rounds in your mags when you plan your reloads the bumps in the road don't hurt so much. A lot of people try to run so close to the edge they can't afford to make any error, saving a 10th to lose 3 seconds if they aren't perfect. Putting that pressure on yourself seldom pays off. It is like when people go if I miss the steel twice I have a plan "B" to go to. That just doesn't work that well most of the time. If you you the KISS (keep it simple stupid) aproach to planning your stage you can be much more flexible to handling adverisity during the COF. Finding the "magic spot" or hiting super tricky shots seldom win over shooting good solid stage plans. Always look for the holes in a stage, but keep your game plan something that is easy to get your mind around, because being confident is more important than a lot of things. Don't try somehting you see someone else do if you don't think it would work best for you, especialy if they are a M-GM, we do some stupid stuff sometimes, and we can get away with somethings maybe we shouldn't. That's my 2 cents worth.

I used to play pool at about the same level I now shoot, and believe it or not there are a lot of parralells.

We used to make a list of "WP's" or "whenever possibles". Cutting up a stage has a lot in common with that. sometimes you can't satisfy them, but you try to.

For shooting a few would be somthing like....

What's the minimum number of shooting positions?

What's the quickest route to them?

What, if anything, can I do to eliminate a stop?

Can I shoot backing out of the first position?

Can I shoot passing the middle positions?

Can I shoot on my way into the last shooting position?

How close can I get, or what open angles can I get without really going out of my way to get there?

How dangerous is that danger target? AKA Find the critical spot in the stage and make sure you set up good focal points on it, whether it's movement, partials, steel or footwork.

Get a plan, and once you know it is the right one, believe in it and stick to it.

When things go to hell, stick to the points and try to get back on the plan. Don't go full auto after an error.

Know how many rounds you "have to give" in case you start throwing extra shots on steel.

Is this one more about speed or points?

How much shooting do I have to do in how much time as I move. TGO is the best I have ever seen at this. When you get it right and finish shooting AND moving just when you need to swing to the new array it do look sexy.

Is this stage a threat to be a "zero trap" and needs a very safe run.

On hidden targets, like in a port you are moving to, set up visual points that allow you to get the gun in position before you can even see the first target.

Stuff like that.

....sorry I got out of control there for a minute. :wacko:

Everytime I do a walkthrough, I try to memorize the target locations, the places where I'll be reloading, what kind of aim specific targets need. I draw a mental figure of how to shoot that stage.

However, during the COF, I often find myself not doing what I planned at the walkthrough. I believe that anxiety kicks in and takes control.

So, what is the secret of the GMs during walkthroughs? What should I be looking for? What is the easiest way to memorize what was planned at the walkthrough?

TIA

Alex

I feel you are talking about two very different things, both of which will continue to improve with experience.

dirtypool gave you some nice examples of how to pick a stage apart, technically. And depending on individual Temperament, different people will visualize various aspects of shooting the stage differently. Some may think about where the lead foot needs to be in the upcoming position, others may not think about foot position much, but instead visualize where there foot needs to go, or where their body needs to end up, visually. Still others may not think or visualize any of those things, but may only ingrain how they will be seeing the relationship of the targets to the stage, and then their gun to the targets, during the approach.

But regardless of how you plan to shoot a stage, actually doing it after the buzzer goes off is quite another matter. From the slight panic to the completely overwhelmed freakout typically experienced at the buzzer, causes most to lose any sense of composure they might have had, and go nuts, sometimes like a madman trying to check the checkered flag. For many, the last challenge will be - learning to retain your composure through the buzzer.

be

I think that planning how to shoot a stage is dependent on the type of stage itself. A stage where there is a lot of movement and no ports will need to be examined differently from a stage that has many ports.

Assume a stage with ports; There may be ports where you can still shoot on the move and other ports where it is necessary to stop and shoot the targets. On those occasions foot placement can be an important factor. Figuring out where the lead foot will land as you approach the port will determine how quickly the sights can be bought to bear on the target and the shots taken.

Once the shots are done, then it is necessary to figure out the most efficient way of moving away from that port; Which foot is the weight resting on, are you leaning to the left or right at this particular port, all of these things - and probably some more besides - will determine the best way to move.

It may sound a bit too much to do all this work to figure out foot placement but the differences between a GM and a M shooter will be fractions of a second at each port, multiply those fractions of a second across a large course of fire and you'll find yourself 2-3 seconds behind the GM and wondering 'what happened ?'

BE could probably write a book on just this topic. Personally, I'd have to ask a few questions first: What is your intent, to find your weaknesses (which was ALL have) or to shoot a solid match?

I guess one of the basic tenets has more or less already been pointed out - to find positions where you're shooting as often as possible without much down time. If there is breaks, you probably already see these as a good time to reload. But here's the kicker, if you intend to shoot a solid match you must know where your weaknesses are!

Let me illustrate the point. You've done a walk through and know there's a PP which activates a turner. You see about how long the activation sequence takes and figure that you can pick up two, maybe three, targets before the turner shows. You take your turn and get to the PP activation, only to discover that it's faster than you figured during your mental prep.

Here's another. You walk through and figure the most efficient way is to sweep across most of the targets. This includes several pieces of steel that are about 35 yds away (you have the choice of standing in one position or moving up on them). You figure that efficiency takes precedence over what you can reliably do everytime and go for it anyway.

Each of these is the difference between BTTW hosing versus just getting a solid score on the stage. There is a place for both in the learning process. At the local level, I learn quite a bit by crashing on a stage. It sucks. I don't like to repeat my mistakes. But after it's over, I analyze my performance and try to learn from it!

Hope this helps,

Aaron

'When the student is ready, the teacher will appear'

Thank you fellows.

Since I'm still kinda new to IPSC ('been shooting for about 3 yrs), my initial desire is to first shoot a solid match. Then improve from that.

One of my biggest weaknesses (besides all the others I have to improve on and other problems I still don't know I have) I shooting according to plan.

So, a conclusion is that a solid plan must take in account what my weaknesses are, right? Habilities acquired by lots of practice will take over, once I establish a basic, simple plan.

Loves2Shoot mentioned something interesting: points. Kinda like waypoints on a flight simulator. I'll try that!

BTW, it may sound "corny", but I have to say this: it's great to be on a forum where legends like Brian Enos actually take part in the topic! That's very enriching. Thank you!

Alex

Walkthroughs? oh my.

First of all, I make sure that the score cards, stage description sheet, and targets add up to the same number. It's surprising how confusing that can get.

Next, I wander through the stage, from the target's point of view. Mostly, I want to see what visual barricades and positions will limit my view of the targets for what distances and times.

Then, I walk therough the stage with the shortest relative footpath to the various shooting areas. I try not ot think of "shooting positions" as these seem to be places that a person would like to stop at. Never stop.

Finally, I want to engage the targets from the most optimal angle and distance, so that I don't engage them from too far away and shoot too slow, and so that I don't waste time moving up upon the targets to shoot them really fast. I try to shoot the targets at the first opportunity that they become available, so that I am not passing them up, but only I am not putting myself at any disadvantage to shoot them from there.

Before shooting, I like to "see" every target just as I would see them while shooting. I like to see my sight alignment in my mind and see the flow of my movement almost from outside my body to analyze the efficiency of my movement from the positions and areas that I can shoot them.

When I shoot the stage and look back at the walkthroughs, I find that the fundamental properties of my two visions are similiar, but they WILL ALWAYS differ to some end. That is okay!! Sometimes it was better than the walkthrough, sometimes not quite as good. This is the opportunity to learn. Contrary to common belief, hindsight is NOT 100%. I thought I saw this but something else happened. If you've ever had this thought you know that I mean.

Use a video camera at some local matches if the RO/RM will let you. It is an invalueable training tool. It will help reveal the weaknesses and stregnths in your shooting style. I tried for years to emulate Travis' movement, and that helped me greatly. However, I analyzed frame by frame everything he did, and I had a moment when I realised that my own form and style had to emerge. Eventually, I had to shut off the "what would so and so do" switch and ask myself "what am I going to do?"

Different subject, sorry.

Maybe this can help.

-Drew

When I can close my eyes and see my dot in the center of every target in rich detail, I know I'm ready to shoot.

Until then, I keep looking.

One tip I just learned is to call every shot while airgunning, don't just hold your hands up. Your body needs to know why you have your hands up there. REally SEE two A hits on every target as you airgun them. This will increase your points.

SA

In addition to the great stuff that has been posted...

I always look for options. I want to consider different ways to solve the problem. Even if I am sure that I will shoot the stage a certain way...I still like to explore alternatives.

Flex

This isn't brain surgery. I admire you wanting to find out every possible way to shoot a stage, but you can clutter the mind with too much input at the critical point just B4 you go to the line. KISS, have a plan, work the plan. I am not smart enough or mentally agile enough to go to plan B or plan C it the first plan craps out, maybe you are...

One tip I just learned is to call every shot while airgunning, don't just hold your hands up. Your body needs to know why you have your hands up there. REally SEE two A hits on every target as you airgun them. This will increase your points.

That's a great tip. I used to just walk through what I intended to do, halfheartedly airgunning and getting the reloads. About a year ago I started seeing A's as I was airgunning and it makes a huge difference on feeling ready to shoot it.

When I do a walkthrough, I usually look for the straight up way to shoot it, without reloads, just to get the target locations firmly in my mind. Then I throw the necessary reloads in. Then I start looking for ways to cut time. Sometimes I have to go back to the beginning and start over. Once I get my plan down, I walk it off until I feel comfortable. Then I execute it. If the plan goes South, I always just do what I need to do at the time to salvage the run. I rarely think of contingency plans, because as TL said, that is just clutter. And I don't want to execute clutter, I want to execute the plan.

if the plan goes to hell, for whatever reason, I remember the basics I need as my "emergency proceedures".

How many rounds did I have "to give" ie extras, before the dreaded "standing load". :huh:

If you load or malf in the wrong spot (yeah, like there's a good spot to malf <_< ) hit an extra load to get back on your plan, that will cut confusion and improv to a minimum. L10 and Production require you to learn this as a reflex. Carry at least an extra mag, two is better.

As things get worse stick to the points. You should never be that dissapointed if you shoot all the points. If things are going South, your speed probably won't be there anyway so default to GET THE A's.

Dirtypool,

I hope you don't mind, but I have copied your post and will use it with very minor modifications. I will probably make it available to newer shooters that are still trying to figure out how to move through a vcourse and what to look for in a COF. It basically codifies what I attempt to do.

A few points from other posts: I think that if you concentrate on footwork too much, or on any aspect too much you will start to react to what is happening instead of making it happen. If I "go With The Flow" of a COF, I find I generally do better. That is not to say don't plan or rehease, walk it through, make sure you know where each target is and whether it is available multiple times, keeping in mind that the closest most open space may not really be best if it pulls you to an additional position, or if it screws up the round count. Know where you want to be to engage the targets, be there engage them and move on. If you need the extra shot, take it. If as yo usaid you know where to reload and you have to exceed your giveaway on a stubborn piece of steel, reload going to the next position, even if it means slowing down just a smidge so that you are finished with the reload as you get into the shooting position, You don't want to get there half loaded and have to stop dead. You want the momentum to keep you moving. Always make sure you have all your mags loaded and ready, i have seen more people crash and burn because they pulled a "Starter" mag or thought they had a full mag from the last stage and found out the hard way that it only had 12 rounds, not 19.

One item that is missing here, although maybe someone else got it. Make sure your gun runs! All the preparation in the world will go out the window when the three mags you are carrying turn out to be half full of grit from the last stage. You can't win a stage that you can't finish.

Jim

• 1 month later...

I used to break up a stage into shooting arrays..basically I try to have no more than 3 shooting arrays.. I go out hard and fast within these arrays. I would create an array based on similarity of challenge and of course what stipulation has been placed on shooting the course e.g. reloads, no-shoots.

I also look at situations where I might have to compromise my index.. things like moving between boxes I never really give much attention to; what was more important to me was how I exited and how I arrived and how quickly I can will my body still so as to shoot..

For me the walk-through is just that - a walk through of what I am about to do. I can't visualize the stuff that most can - so I don't focus on that. Based on experience - I know what the sights need to look like to shoot A's. I generally use the walk through to see how to maximize what I know I can execute.

Like Brian said - different strokes for different folks. Ron Avery and Jerry Barnhart were both hard core about the precise detail of the walkthrough. They knew where X foot needed to be, or what Y needed to look like. TGO that I'm aware of never needed to know that - he just wanted to know "what to do" and then once the buzzer would go off he'd do it.

To each his (or her) own I guess. The most important thing to me is knowing what you can execute. Visualize everything, but know what you can or can't execute and work from there.

Just my $.02.

JB

• 1 month later...

is three years new to ipsc shooting,? i thought i was having trouble at this stage pick apart stuff, i think i got it, been shooting ipsc for 7 months.

in three years all the stuff i think i know will be useless.

anyways im doin pretty good.

i still forget wtf i planned during the walkthrough, but when the plan goes to shit, shoot As, you wont be too far off the path.

• 3 weeks later...

visualization is important. when you close your eyes, you should know where all the targets are and the timing and sequence of the movers and swingers.

way points are fine, but there should also be economy of motion.

it's so easy for your plan to head south when you see the previous shooter take down the CoF differently from your plan and it gets you thinking some! back down and review again or stick with your original gameplan

But regardless of how you plan to shoot a stage, actually doing it after the buzzer goes off is quite another matter. From the slight panic to the completely overwhelmed freakout typically experienced at the buzzer, causes most to lose any sense of composure they might have had, and go nuts, sometimes like a madman trying to check the checkered flag. For many, the last challenge will be - learning to retain your composure through the buzzer.

Isn' that the truth!

I'm still a new shooter to IPSC, and I'm far from being good, but I'll give my advice fromt he perspective of someone who has only recently made major headway on getting flustered at the bzzer and being unable to follow through with a plan. I also shoot l-10, and what's working for me.

1) read the course description for any special rules, but most importantly to get the number of tartets, steel, and round count.

2) ignore the conga line and the fault lines and FIND EVERY TARGET. Inventory them and know where they are.

3) join the conga line, and find all the places to shoot from. Unless you are good enough to shoot fast from everyone, you may want to only find the ports YOU can shoot from to keep it simple. Inventory the shooting positions and make sure you have at least one for every target.

4) At least in limited 10 and if you aren't already a really good shooter, plan your mag changes with your shooting ability in mind. I still plan my mag changes based on 2 shots for most steel. Giving myself more room to relax and take two shots if I need to has resulted in more one shot hits on steel. But you mix and match what you inventoried in 3 and 4 to get your plans. I try to come up with the two best plans for me, and I try not to do it in the conga line.

5) if you get this done fast enough, hit the conga line again to verify your plan does nothing stupid.

It sounds like a lot, but it honestly is taking me less time than I used to be spending on it, and works a lot better for me. Even if it isn't the end all be all, it has pared it down to a set of skills I CAN perform and get better at, which gives me a fighting chance at adding new skills to the process. As for the plan encountering reality, well I have two tips for that.

A) you aren't waiting for the buzzer, you are waiting to start shooting. The buzzer is relaxing because it end the waiting, not tension building because you are metnally trying to get you and the buzzer to happen at some magically agreed upon moment that in some abstract way can be "right"

B) Do what you need to do next and don't try to reformulate a whole plan. If making the plan took 2 minutes at the start, you aren't going to be able to redo it completely in a second or two. Inventorying the ports and targets lets you make sure you don't FTE anything, and it gives you a shot at being smooth and going no slower than you have to. Don't try to make up lost time rushing something that has to be done like clearing a jam or making an unplanned reload, or finishing the rest of the stage. A good performance with a mistake in the middle will ALWAYS be faster than a horrible performance with a mistake in the middle. You aren't going to magically get better/faster because you screwed up and you have to in order to not go slower. If you CAN do that, stop sandbagging and perform like that ALL the time. If you can't, well... smooth is fast and consistency usualy gets you better scores when you add everything up at the end of the match.

• 1 month later...

I agree that following the conga line isn't the best idea. There was a stage once at one of the nationals and everyone was shooting it a certain way, starting right and running in a semi circle counter clockwise. I had walked it through that way but it felt ackward getting into the last position. I decided to walk it through the opposite way. Coming up to the ackward position in a clockwise motion felt better. However this game plan called for an extra reload because of the way the arrays were laid out. It turned out to be about 1 second faster. Trust your instincts

My first walk through is always to find the "path of least resistence." What is my natural inclination for the stage? Do I naturally point to the outside target first or last...that sort of thing. This requires a certain degree of experience and trusting that your subconscious will point out the best method for you. The second is a refinement looking for the "gotcha" targets. Is it the swinger or the combination of two fast, close targets and a distant activator that are "dangerous?" The third does the round counting and reload planning and determination of the "sweet" spots for target engagement (sometimes called footwork). From there I usually have to visualize the whole thing from the back 'cause a fourth walk through doesn't happen until I'm on deck. <grin> Then I just turn on the autopilot.