Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat Triggers

Coach

Are flat triggers a gimmick? What do they offer that standard triggers do not?

I think regardless of where you place your finger on the trigger face the pull "feels" the same (consistancy). I've also heard people say it makes the trigger feel "lighter". For example, at an indoor shooting range I visit occasionally, the gentlemen working there carries a 1911 (with curved trigger). He shot my 1911 and commented how light my trigger was. He thought it was about a 1.5lb trigger. I told him I was getting 3.5lb from my puller and we set it up on the shops Lyman digital and it was 3.25lbs.

finger placement doesn't matter on a flat trigger, You get the same pull on the top,middle and bottom of the pad.

Same here, Roy. I use a flat in a medium length which seems to fit me much better than curved. I find it more forgiving because it's much more consistent without requiring exact finger placement.

Curtis

The theory of the flat trigger is a consistant trigger pull (feel) no matter where your finger is on the trigger itself. The trigger works well for me because my trigger finger is naturally at an angle (not perpendicular to the trigger face) and sits lower on the trigger. With a long curved trigger, my trigger finger is forced to the center and would get rubbed raw due to the angle of my finger. Flat triggers also worked well when i took a pistol class in the cold rain where i was wearing gloves. The length of the flat trigger is the same as the shortest part of a long curved trigger.

a friend of mine swapped his curved triggers out for flat triggers. Just a few weeks ago i went shooting with a member from another forum, and he commented on how he liked the feel of the flat trigger too.

1055456197_mW3LE-L.jpg

1055456634_mWAiv-L.jpg

Are flat triggers a gimmick? What do they offer that standard triggers do not?

I have them on all my 2011. Just prefer the feel. As others have said "doesn't matter where you finger is on the trigger, the pull feels the same"

on a side note, a friend of mine give's me a hard time about using flat triggers, but the truth is that he shoots my 1911 (all with flat triggers) better than he shoots his Ed Brown. He even shot my Remington R1 better than his Kobra Carry.

Bought my Kimber slightly used. It had a flat trigger installed and I thought it'd be the first thing I'd get rid of... Now it's the last thing I'd get rid of!

Changed a lot since I've got it(in this pic). Still love the flat trigger!

1225091322.jpg

I like the med and short flat. the long flat doesn't help getting my fat fingers in or out the trigger guard. A recent purchase came with a Benos top curved trigger and I think I like it because I can use the flat bottom or I jump in the curve and lock in. It's either that, or just feels different than a med flat. maybe Brian can tell us how and why he came up with the Enos Curve.

JL

IMHO they offer the opportunity to drag your finger on the top or bottom of the frame and a very good chance of pushing sideways. It seams most of the shooters who like them are trigger slappers, not saying that's bad. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

And you know these have been around for a while.

Don't remember his whole name but a mr Vic - gunsmith was selling his flat triggers back when our front sight was a paper magazine ( yea I know showing my age) but not really just had another shooter load me up when I joined the sport 20 yes ago. Also I have a custom Mitchell flat trigger in my SS 45 that has been there for at least 15 years. I personally love the feel of them but with that I still have some curves in the mix too. All of my para's wear the guncraft flat trigger. And so far my sti's wear wear a short curve go figure.

J.Kee