Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm minor VV powder

EkuJustice

Do any of the VV powders have some volume to them or are they pretty dense. Looking to get into 9mm loading and looking for something for a zero 124gr FMJ that isn't a tiny charge. In the 40, I use tightgroup which is a small charge but its easier to see deeper in the 40 than the 9mm. Will probibally be shot in a 1911 or a glock 34

If you are wanting to make minor power factor 4.0 or 4.1 N320 should do it and work well, I run 4.1 out of a 4 1/4 M&P but 4.0 makes it ok out of my 5" M&P and 1911 and the case volume is pretty good.

Also 3.9 or 4.0 TG is a good one and the case volume isn't bad either.

These are with MG 124HP, you may be able to shave a tenth of these with other bullets of 124 / 125.

Greg

All of the N300 series powders are pretty much the same size extruded powders. I haven't tried N320 in 9mm, although I've loaded a lot of it in 45. I just worked up some loads with N350 to duplicate factory 124 FMJ loads using plated flat points. N350 looks like it's the best VV powder for 9mm.

Do any of the VV powders have some volume to them or are they pretty dense. Looking to get into 9mm loading and looking for something for a zero 124gr FMJ that isn't a tiny charge. In the 40, I use tightgroup which is a small charge but its easier to see deeper in the 40 than the 9mm. Will probibally be shot in a 1911 or a glock 34

Yes, I"ve been loading N320 and N350 lately and they are "fluffy" powders. Even at low charge weights, it's nearly impossible to double charge a 9mm case. I've been loading up some really light bullets (95gr) lately at 5.5gr N320 and the case is almost full. Even at 4.3 for my heavier bullets, it was still pretty full. N320 is a great powder!

• 3 months later...

(I found this thread from a search)

I've been trying to use VV-n350 powder to load some 9mm loads on a BBI 130 grain moly-coated bullet.

Based on what I have read for the powder data, I should be loading somewhere around 5.0 grains as a minimum start load.

( I contacted the bullet manufacturer since I couldn't get 130-grain load data, they told me to just load them as if they were 124/125 grain lead).

However, when I tried this, I found that the powder pretty-much filled-up the entire case and I was afraid I was getting a compressed charge.

I lengthened OAL to around 1.160 but I still get the feeling that there is no empty space underneath the bullet.

I know I'm new to reloading but I keep hearing "compressed charges are bad unless specified" and my load data book does not mark this charge as being a compressed charge.

Is "no empty space under the bullet" the same as "compressed charge"?

I looked at VV's reloading manual (PDF file) and it agrees with the data I found: 5.0 grains as a start, 5.4 as maximum.

Has anyone else seen this with VV n 350 filling-up the case?

As an experiment, I took a case with no primer and taped-off the bottom, then filled with powder charge and seated bullet. Then turned it over to see if the powder was overflowing from the primer pocket, it was.

Picture:

farm7,static,flickr,com/6130/6013383030_51ff7be349,jpg

(sorry my account is new so I can't post links or attach pictures, replace ',' (commas) with '.' (dot) to see picture)

Edited by SlowShooter

I have to agree with most of the other comments. VV N320 to me is by far the best powder. I have tried TG, Clays, and several different Winchester powders. I hate to clean my guns and it is a clean burning smooth powder. Well worth the little extra that it costs.

(I found this thread from a search)

I've been trying to use VV-n350 powder to load some 9mm loads on a BBI 130 grain moly-coated bullet.

Based on what I have read for the powder data, I should be loading somewhere around 5.0 grains as a minimum start load.

( I contacted the bullet manufacturer since I couldn't get 130-grain load data, they told me to just load them as if they were 124/125 grain lead).

However, when I tried this, I found that the powder pretty-much filled-up the entire case and I was afraid I was getting a compressed charge.

I lengthened OAL to around 1.160 but I still get the feeling that there is no empty space underneath the bullet.

I know I'm new to reloading but I keep hearing "compressed charges are bad unless specified" and my load data book does not mark this charge as being a compressed charge.

Is "no empty space under the bullet" the same as "compressed charge"?

I looked at VV's reloading manual (PDF file) and it agrees with the data I found: 5.0 grains as a start, 5.4 as maximum.

Has anyone else seen this with VV n 350 filling-up the case?

As an experiment, I took a case with no primer and taped-off the bottom, then filled with powder charge and seated bullet. Then turned it over to see if the powder was overflowing from the primer pocket, it was.

Picture:

farm7,static,flickr,com/6130/6013383030_51ff7be349,jpg

(sorry my account is new so I can't post links or attach pictures, replace ',' (commas) with '.' (dot) to see picture)

9 major loads 7.2gr of N350, a compressed load. I tired it for 9 major but found it didn't fit my shoting preferences. In a non compensated fire arm I'd recommend N320 for Minor power factor loads. I'm shooting Bayou 135gr bullets in my minor 9 mm with 3.7 gr of N320, which is probably about right for your 130 BBI, but for safety start a 3.5gr and work up. My OAL is 1.145.

N350 is an excellent powder for 38 Super major powder factor.

I contacted the bullet manufacturer since I couldn't get 130-grain load data, they told me to just load them as if they were 124/125 grain lead.

VV has 130gr data in their load manual. Right Here !!

Don't guess. A standard caliper and some very simple math will give you an exact answer. Measure from the case mouth down to the level of the powder using a caliper's depth gauge. Subtract that measurement from the cartridge case length of .748". (If I'm going to stick with a powder then I often map ten or so likely charges so I can quickly reference their height inside the case if needed. That comes in very handy.)

The location of the base of the bullet inside the cartridge can easily be calculated by subtracting the bullet length from the OAL.Then compare those 2 numbers.

;)

VV has 130gr data in their load manual. Right Here !!

Thanks for the link, but please review my first post above: I mentioned that I already read the VV load data PDF (same one you linked here). The 130 grain bullet they list is for a FMJ bullet type. I am loading Moly-coated (I was told by manufacturer to load this just like a Lead bullet).

The closest equivalent to my bullet type that I am loading is "124 LSWC" as listed in that PDF, which shows 5.0 grains of n350 as the starting load with 5.4 as the MAX.

Don't guess. A standard caliper and some very simple math will give you an exact answer.

I didn't guess, I did an experiment to show whether or not there was any empty space left in the case.

I couldn't post the picture before, but I can now. If you haven't seen it yet, I repeat here:

6043221952_bc6ec6dfba.jpg

the powder is overflowing from the primer-pocket after the bullet is seated, this shows me that the charge is a compressed charge, even though the load data does not indicate it as being a compressed charge.

This is at minimum recommended load and maximum OAL! (5.0 grains)

I don't understand how VV thinks this is load is supposed to work?! with N350 their load data acts like its fine to go up to 5.4 grains!

Edited by SlowShooter

My favorite 115gr load is 5.8gr N350. It gives me about 130-135PF and it is superbly accurate in my Wilson 1911 9mms. And my Glock and Walther like them too.

I'm experimenting with 124gr loads and 5.5gr was a little warm (about 143 PF) and showed some primer flow, so I'm going to back those off to 5.2gr and re-chrony them. VERY consistent and accurate, with 124gr XTP and 124gr Combat Truncated Cone Hornady bullets.

I've also used 4.2gr N320 with MG 124gr FMJ and 4.5gr N320 with 115gr FMJ and they were great loads too.

I like the N350 for the load density.

But N320, AA#5 and Titegroup are also great powders that work well with 9mm

James

I have found nothing that feels better than a Berrys 147 with 3.1 of N310 @ 1.160".

I thought the same thing until I had a casehead separation.... (and I wasn't the only one that had one with this combo in our area).

It does FEEL nice, but broken mag releases and RO's screaming "STOP!" are intolerable to me.

"Do any of the VV powders have some volume to them or are they pretty dense. Looking to get into 9mm loading and looking for something for a zero 124gr FMJ that isn't a tiny charge"

9mm minor: n320 soft shooting, pretty clean, haven't seen significant variations from multiple lots, non-positional, doesn't seem to vary with TEXAS temp changes, needs at or just over 1/2 case-full of powder---can't double charge.

It is boringly consistent.

4.72"bbl

4.0grs, Zero 125JHP, 1.10", 132PF

4.0-4.1grs, MG 124CMJ, 1.130", 130-132PF

3.9 grs, MG 124JHP, 1.10", 131PF

4.0grs, Zero 124FMJ, 1.140", 131-132PF

Edited by 1SOW