Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 v Clays

bbbean

I'm switching from 230s to 200s for my single stack load. I've been using Clays with 230 with no problems, and can make it work for the 200s with no problem, but I'm having to load well past published maximums (4.6-4.7 gr) to ake major

I run 320 in my Limited (.40) load, and I note that the published data for N320 includes velocities that make major.

But before I spend a bunch of time working up a 320 load for my .45, how do the two powders compare in loads of similar PF? Should I just stick with what works, or would I gain some advantage in switching to 320?

If it makes any difference, I'm running Precision Moly and Bootheel Bullets lead.

Thanks,

BB

Thanks for the info. But what I'm looking for is direct comparisons between Clays and N320 from people who've worked up a load with both. I'm trying to figure out if its worth the trouble to work up a second load to get to the same place.

Precision Moly 200grn RN set at 1.22 with 4.3gr of Clays is my Single Stack load it is right at 169pf. Shoots soft. My alternate load with this bullet is 4.7gr of WST. Honestly I have not tried N320 in 45 but it works rather well with Precision Bullets in 40 at only 4.5gr for Major. I do use it with 9 mm 125gr and its the best I have found for that.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used and shot both loads at major matches. I still use Clays a lot more. Its cheaper, and more readily available. I am over book max by .2 of a grain, with a 200gr BBI Round nose. I also use Clays in my major revolver loads, and am .4 of a grain over book max. I am ok with it, as I have tested it and shot that load extensively. You may not be ok with it... As always, please start low and work up, and research your manuals.

Bill

I'm switching from 230s to 200s for my single stack load. I've been using Clays with 230 with no problems, and can make it work for the 200s with no problem, but I'm having to load well past published maximums (4.6-4.7 gr) to ake major

I run 320 in my Limited (.40) load, and I note that the published data for N320 includes velocities that make major.

But before I spend a bunch of time working up a 320 load for my .45, how do the two powders compare in loads of similar PF? Should I just stick with what works, or would I gain some advantage in switching to 320?

If it makes any difference, I'm running Precision Moly and Bootheel Bullets lead.

Thanks,

BB

What OAL are you loading to? If you are loading them a little long, then it could be why your having to use more powder.

Over many years, I loaded a but-ton of 40 S&W (180 gr) rounds with both Clays and 320. If I remember right, the powder charge required to make major was nearly the same with both powders (about 4.8 gr / 180 PF). Both are excellent powders - clean burning and super light recoiling. If I were buying powder nowadays, I probably buy Clays just because it's cheaper and easier to find.

be

• 1 year later...

I use both N320 and Clays and have tried them both in several calibers. I settled on Clay's in 45 ACP and 38 Special. I think it is every bit as clean as N320 and is soft shooting plus saves a lot of money. I continue to use N320 in 9mm with the 135 Grain Bayou Bullet.

Paul

why are you switching to 230gr bullets? My limited experience has been that loading 200 gr bullets to major with either clays or n320 was more powder than I really wanted to use (complicated by the fact that i had flatpoints that couldn't be loaded past 1.19 OAL in my gun).

Switched to 230's and they are just as accurate if not more so, softer shooting, and easily make major with more margin for error.

After testing both clays and n320 the last few weeks, and finding both work great, I'm going to stick with clays for the future, and save my n320 (hard to find locally) for 9mm and for 40 major, where I'm not comfortable using clays.

Note the date on the original post.

FWIW, I ended up moving to a Montana Gold 200 gr JFP at 1.22 with 4.8 grains of Clays. Ran like a champ all last year, chronos between 171 and 178 at majors (typically 172-174), and is as accurate as I am.

I've got a big pile of Bootheel lead and Precision moly I'm going to work through this winter, but I've settled on a 200 grain load, whatever the bullet. I decided I liked the snappier recoil of the 200 better than the gentle push of the 230, but as long as I run 500 rounds or so of the same load through the gun, I'm good either way.

BB