Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

texas star

Sometimes you have to be carefull who you shoot with when you are a newbie! Last year, my buddy told me to start on the bottom of the Texas star my first time out. When the whirlie gig slowed down 2 minutes later I wasn't sure I would have enough rounds in the mags to finish the stage! Needless to say,,, everyone thought is was funny!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the top and do it fast before it starts to move much !!! :unsure: Well it sounds good. Some wait for the plate to come to them. I chase the plates down like a hunter after rabbit. But we have 3 stars at are club. Are club puts on a little steel match on wed. night. The guy bring out 2 of the stars because there easy for him to set up by his self.

The club members complained a lot at first and now all of them are pretty good at them.

Brent

Unless one side is covered by a no-shoot.

I did that only I had 2 stars in a row so each one had a no shoot for 8 rds. Wouldn't you know I build the stage and I was the only one that the back on popped up in the way and I hit it. At least you could only hit it once.

Brent

Last year, my buddy told me to start on the bottom of the Texas star my first time out.

Just never know when some guys are giving you good advice or just screwing with you

True that! :surprise:

Bottom up is a bi#$%. Shot a match last year that had hard cover over the top 2/3 of the star so you had to shoot the bottom and you had to try to time the plates coming out of hard cover. UGH!!!

Head, Arms then legs.

I did fine with the head and arms. I almost ran out of ammo on the legs. Go figure! :roflol:

You did not even have your magazine of getting home ammo on you? :surprise:

I used it and then some! This was my first ever attempt at a Texas star. I got off to a nice start actually. The first three plates went rather easily. I think my mistake was not attacking it with a full magazine. I had just come out of a port, reloaded and decided to pick up a couple od neighboring A's before attempting the star. When I got to the 'legs' I missed a shot and a little voice reminded me that I was low on ammo. My concentration was gone at that point. I slide locked and proceeded to waste many more!

Even in the open (no cover/NS/activation), I say it depends on the exact star. They're all different, some are slower and some are faster. The faster stars are indeed going to be a challenge shooting the bottom position. Slower ones can be taken entirely from the lower position - that is, either the lower left or the lower right, letting the plates come to you. It seems to me that with one of those stars, that method is faster - absolute minimal shooter/gun movement (and not really any waiting either).

Has anybody actually timed several runs going each way (working from top-down versus sitting at the bottom) to see if one tends to come out better than the other?

I'd love to do it, but unfortunately I don't have access to a star for practice.

I have used a 6 plated star with 3" plates :surprise: on a couple steel match's. That makes people set up and call you names!!! :wacko:

yikes! I can imagine all the swear words coming out of the shooters mouths when they were engaging it, especially the iron sighted gun slingers :surprise:

thank goodness our club's star's plates are regular size

Even in the open (no cover/NS/activation), I say it depends on the exact star. They're all different, some are slower and some are faster. The faster stars are indeed going to be a challenge shooting the bottom position. Slower ones can be taken entirely from the lower position - that is, either the lower left or the lower right, letting the plates come to you. It seems to me that with one of those stars, that method is faster - absolute minimal shooter/gun movement (and not really any waiting either).

Has anybody actually timed several runs going each way (working from top-down versus sitting at the bottom) to see if one tends to come out better than the other?

I'd love to do it, but unfortunately I don't have access to a star for practice.

I've shot one star from the bottom postion :devil: I cleaned it w/o any extra shots or waiting, but heck if i could do it again XD

I have used a 6 plated star with 3" plates :surprise: on a couple steel match's. That makes people set up and call you names!!! :wacko:

You can shove that 3"er where the sun don't shine!!! :roflol:

Here is a video of some star setups that they run at Warsaw from time to time:

Star action starts around :50