Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does you wife know

Obviously guys who's wives participate with them get it. What about the rest of you guys. My wife understands that it's my passion but I have an open gun that costs as much as her weeding ring.

So do they what do they know?

Is it a don't ask don't tell situation?

My wife is a little miffed by the fact that I started this sport after we had our first kid and dropped to one income. We were both professional mountain bikers and last summer I raced every weekend while living out of a Lance truck camper with our kid who was born in May and our 80 pound dog. I did really well considering my lack of sleep, but it killed me. I needed something different.

She's back racing now and is excited for the summer. So she's going to let me do the High Desert Classic as long as we can spend the rest of the time in the cooler mountains riding and racing.

I guess I'm lucky. Guns are less expensive than mountain bikes by a long shot, but we got our bikes for free or cheap and bikes don't use ammo. So I'm definitely being extremely frugal and putting a limit/budget on everything I do with the sport. One day she'll go back to work and I'll be able to buy more G&A. Until then, I just hope my rifle continues to hold zero between matches and I don't break anything in my pistol doing dry-fire practice.

She who must be obeyed is fine with everything. I shoot two days a month I also have the ability to earn side money in my career, so I mostly use that for the sport. However I was told the next vacation will involve white sand and blue water and not a gun range. She knows what's in the safe and all, no secrets there.

She who must be obeyed is fine with everything. I shoot two days a month I also have the ability to earn side money in my career, so I mostly use that for the sport. However I was told the next vacation will involve white sand and blue water and not a gun range. She knows what's in the safe and all, no secrets there.

Our wives must talk. My situation mimics yours 99%.

There's a video here on the forums (time for a search), of some guys doing a shooting/USPSA stage demo for a local TV station. During one part of the interview the reporterette asks one guys how many guns he owns. When he hesitates a bit she says, "Oh! Right! I get it. You don't want the government to know that."

He replied, "Oh, I don't really care about that. I don't want my wife to find out."

My wife couldn't believe that I was going out shooting just about every weekend, until I asked her to join me for a weekend out in the country. She agreed & even packed a picnic lunch. While there a friend of mine talked her into shooting a stage with the all women sq.

fast forward 4 years, she enjoyed it so much that this year she is buying us both new Open Guns!!! :devil:

My wife enjoys me being out of the way a couple times per month. :) she know how many toys I have and although she cant fathom why I need so many, she doesnt mind me having them or buying a new gun or reloading stuff as long as the bills get paid.

The scene: I've just picked up a slightly used gun from the FFL, and have disassembled it on the bench to inspect it, clean it and generally enjoy the moment.

Wife walks out, sees the gun, and says, "Is that a new gun?"

"No," I reply. [Thinking but not saying: It's not, it's used.]

"Why do you have to clean your gun so often?" she asks. And wanders off to another part of the house before I can answer.

Edited by guns_and_labs

I had three 9 mm pistols that i picked up from the ffl once, that I accidentally won on gun broker, in my truck. Sold one to a brother and one to his friend but the one I ended up with was a SW99 police trade in $280 to my safe. A similar story ensued when she saw the blue plastic box that none of her peers could identify as a gun box.

I had three 9 mm pistols that i picked up from the ffl once, that I accidentally won on gun broker, in my truck.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who accidentally "wins" guns on Gunbroker. Sometimes I forget that I've bid on them until I get the congratulatory email. I probably need to keep the bottle of scotch a little further away from the computer.....

My wife once asked me if something happened to me would she be surprised at what she finds in the safe/gunroom? I smiled and said of course not, while thinking shocked as hell would be the better term :surprise: certainly not surprised.

I sold three guns (well two, the third will be for sale soon) in order to buy a new one. The three covered the cost of the new one. And she still has a problem with the cost of the new one.

Edited by BNorth