Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 gap ...... in S&W 625 ...!?!

sensei

Hi all,

I have just finished to see the Gun-Zone site, ..... and i am thinking about an "original" idea ... :ph34r:

Have you ever think about the .45 gap in the revo 625, .... for IPSC Major reloads

I don't have checked the dimension of this new caliber, but it appear like a "normal" .45 acp ..... short !!!

You don't think that we can use this brass like we use the .38 Special in .357 mag revos ? .............. :

- Shorter (..... faster reload)

- More pressure in the brass, (more easier to make Major PF)

IMPRESSIONS ??? ............ ;)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but it looks like you are trying to invent the wheel, brass or loaded ammo is going to be expensive. Why do it..

Maybe now, at the start, will be expensive, .... but i am thinking (if this caliber will have a future, ..... not only a meteor), the brass will cost like the others.

Why do it ?

Because i think that a shorter ammo, can help you to make a faster reload (also a faster ejection), ..... i think ..... maybe i wrong , if don't cost ONE Dollar/each brass, let's try !!! .....

The Timer will give us the sentence !!! .... B)

Sensei,

That is the first, and ONLY good reason I have ever heard of for the .45GAP. Your reasoning is sound, but as a person who shoots a good deal of .45 ACP, I hope the .45GAP dies a VERY FAST and painfull death. Just one more thing to have worry about while sorting brass. :angry:

I agree, answer to a question nobody asked........ and speaking of goofy calibers has anyone EVER come up with a good reason for that .357 Sig???

I haven't heard one that makes sense, but damn those beaurocrats keep buying that shiite and it's contaminating my .40 supplies.

I am with Trigger T on this one, like Cooper said about the double action autos, an answer in search of a question.

DP40

The reason the Tx DPS uses it is that Sig GAVE then the guns if they would chamber it for 357 Sig. No other reason anyone would shoot it...

TL,

If Sig or Glock, or any other gun maker forthat matter, wants to give me a gun in ANY goofy caliber, I will be more that happy to take them up on it. Just don't expect me to pick up the brass. :D

On 2nd thought, maybe I would pick it up so I could sell it later as a collectors item. Might not be much around after awhile. ;)

I don't know about Cooper and the double-action (my money is on Jerry M. to win the next Steel Challenge with his DA wheelgun)...

The 45GAP certainly answers a question though. It's just not a question that 45ACP shooters want to agree with.

(Feel free to start another thread to talk about that, however...we have drifted this one far enough.)

• 1 month later...

As to the origonal question:

Sure it will work for faster reloads and possibly to handle higher preasures but I would wait for the price of the ammo to drop or pick up some free range brass befors spending much on it.

I agree, answer to a question nobody asked........ and speaking of goofy calibers has anyone EVER come up with a good reason for that .357 Sig???

I haven't heard one that makes sense, but damn those beaurocrats keep buying that shiite and it's contaminating my .40 supplies.

Uhmm, isn't the .357 Sig a necked down .40? How come you pick it up? Other than to throw it in the trash, that is.

L

As far as faster reloads: can anyone comment on which is faster in the 610; 40 or 10mm??? I know you're not aiming at as big of cylinder holes with the 610, but the length thing.

Can't wait until someone puts this to the test and we can here some real life results. Why not get some ACP brass and just cut it down. That way the only extra cost is your time. Also you would still be able to use the large primer. Maybe just abandon the GAP and create our own 45 ACP short. This way you could stack up a whole bunch more on your belt!!!! ONe possible saftey though make sure you clean the gun before going back to full size loads you could get a carbon build up in your chambers that would now be resting on the brass instead of in front of it. Thanks, John DVC

Can't wait until someone puts this to the test and we can here some real life results. Why not get some ACP brass and just cut it down. That way the only extra cost is your time.

That idea might seem logical on the surface, I know I had the same thought, but it is very dangerous. The GAP brass is much thicker in the web area and can withstand higher pressures. Standard .45 brass will not take the abuse. Check around on some of the reloading forums if you need further clarification as to the dangers of home brewed GAP.

-ld

I would add to jhgtyre's comment:

Using .45 ACP brass shortened to .45 GAP length is NOT a good idea! There is a significant difference in the thickness of the case as it nears the base. Seating a bullet to the required depth in a tapering .45 ACP case will add additional stress and probably a “guppy effect” to the finished cartridge. Both cartridges are rated at 23,000 psi average pressure but GAP achieves that in a much smaller space. Since the GAP is heavily reinforced at the bottom I expect that the danger of blowouts with the over stressed ACP case would be increased.

If you are going to be a first adopter of any product you should be prepared to pay the freight. In this case trying to save a few bucks early on could cause real pain.

be safe, have fun

geezer

• 2 weeks later...

We tried this as soon as the ammo arrived at the range I work at. GAP ammo worked great in the 4' 625 we were using. We were getting about 170pf with it. The ammo was Speer Lawman 200 grainers. Even though it worked ammo cost was a concern, however since I work at the range and we have a Glock 37 as a rental gun I get all the GAP brass I need. B)