Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seated position

Coach

Wanting to see about a field course that would encourage by the use of props a seated shooting position. Has anyone done this? I had an idea on how to do it today. Just wondering if this has been done before?

Not a short or medium course but a long course and to do it according to the freesytle concept,and be legal for a Level II match.

There are a couple of ways to do it. Stage 2 at the High Desert Classicin Albuquerque last year had you start in a chair and engage 2 targets through a port. When you stood a door the chair was rigged to close a door and you could see the targets again. An easy way is a start seated and have a port a the appropriate level to engage the targets.

I shot long stage that required you to stay seated in a office chair the whole time. It was like a office scenario with a computer on the desk. Handgun was unloaded and in the top drawer of the desk. At the buzzer you had to load the gun and engage all targets remaining seated. You had to roll left and right in the chair to be able to engage all targets. By the time I rehearsed and shot the stage my outer thighs were cramping so bad from rolling in the chair. Yes the computer screen got shot. :roflol:

I shot long stage that required you to stay seated in a office chair the whole time. It was like a office scenario with a computer on the desk. Handgun was unloaded and in the top drawer of the desk. At the buzzer you had to load the gun and engage all targets remaining seated. You had to roll left and right in the chair to be able to engage all targets. By the time I rehearsed and shot the stage my outer thighs were cramping so bad from rolling in the chair. Yes the computer screen got shot. :roflol:

Id question the legality of that one, under 1.1.5,...Courses of fire must not require mandatory reloads,nor dictate a shooting position or stance, exce[t as specified below.

I can see through the use of low ports that the best way to shoot a stage is seated, or standing activates a mover or any number of things. but I feel the rules dont support just requiring it in a WSB.

Id question the legality of that one, under 1.1.5,...Courses of fire must not require mandatory reloads,nor dictate a shooting position or stance, exce[t as specified below.

I can see through the use of low ports that the best way to shoot a stage is seated, or standing activates a mover or any number of things. but I feel the rules dont support just requiring it in a WSB.

I didn't think of questioning it, I just thought it was something different and shot it. It was only a level 1 match anyway. They strayed from the normal stages and it was fun. :cheers:

Ar you talking about sitting in a chair/device? Or actually a$$rear-in-the-grass?

The only problem with seating in a chair, etc. I would think is availability to magazines/holster, esp. if the chair has armrests.

I think low ports would be conducive to having competitors sit, but would be tricky to line up just right for shooters of all sizes.

With seated firing position, butt in the dirt, the problem would be going down and getting up safely with the firearm, and the time it would take to sit, engage, stand, and move/engage targets. Unless it was the last string, where you would show clear from the ground?

The stage I was describing was shot completely from a office chair on rollers with no arm rests. The mags were on top of the desk you were at and the gun started unloaded in the top drawer. All shots had to be fired while sitting in the chair. They had a piece of ply wood down so you could roll left to right in the chair to be able to engage all targets.

I have an idea that will not utilize requiring the seated position in the WSB. Rules won't allow it in a level II match, and I hope to use it down the road in a level two match. I think my start position will strongly encourage a seated firing position, but I cannot force it only encourage it. If I put the platform, wall and shelf for the gun in the right place it should work out.

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot a number of stages that had a turret. You sit on a chair that swivels, and the port you shoot through swivels too (attached to the chair).

Looks kinda like this, where "x" is the shooter/chair. / x \

I also ran a stage at an Area match that had a fixed chair on cart. It ran on tracks (to keep it inline). You started down range and foot powered the cart backwards, engaging targets along the way. Seat belt fastened.

Here is a video of one from a few years later (slightly different cart setup):

.... It was only a level 1 match anyway.

Please stop perpetuating this myth.

1.1.5 Freestyle – USPSA matches are freestyle. Competitors must be permitted

to solve the challenge presented in a freestyle manner, and to shoot

targets on an “as and when visible” basis. Courses of fire must not

require mandatory reloads nor dictate a shooting position, location or

stance, except as specified below. However, conditions may be created,

and barriers or other physical limitations may be constructed, to compel

a competitor into shooting positions, locations or stances.

1.1.5.1 Level I matches may use shooting boxes and specify where or

when specific target arrays may be engaged, and may specify

mandatory reloads in short and medium courses only (not in a

long course).

I've shot a number of stages that had a turret. You sit on a chair that swivels, and the port you shoot through swivels too (attached to the chair).

Looks kinda like this, where "x" is the shooter/chair. / x \

I also ran a stage at an Area match that had a fixed chair on cart. It ran on tracks (to keep it inline). You started down range and foot powered the cart backwards, engaging targets along the way. Seat belt fastened.

Here is a video of one from a few years later (slightly different cart setup):

That looks cool. I am not going to be that involved with set up and construction with my idea.

Area 2 had a space ship where you pretty much stayed seated and pushed the bench from side to side to view target array.

Additionally, the had the 'roller coaster' stage, where you stayed seated in a 'mine cart' shooting targets as you progressed down the track.

They have had shorter courses where you stay seated.

I've shot a stage where you start seated at a picnic table gun and mags on table, targets were obscured by barrels. You could stand and shoot, but it would put you in a very unstable and uncomfortable position.Every one shot it sitting down and sliding from side to side to see and shoot each target.

I've shot a stage where you start seated at a picnic table gun and mags on table, targets were obscured by barrels. You could stand and shoot, but it would put you in a very unstable and uncomfortable position.Every one shot it sitting down and sliding from side to side to see and shoot each target.

How was the box set up? was it around the picnic table's legs? Or could you have exited the table and shot?

If they were obscured by barrels, could you have jumped up on top of the picnic table and shot them all from an elevated position?

How was the box set up? was it around the picnic table's legs? Or could you have exited the table and shot?

If they were obscured by barrels, could you have jumped up on top of the picnic table and shot them all from an elevated position?

There was no box, it had to be shot from within the confines of the table legs. The targets were too close to the barrels to shoot from over the top. You just had to find the correct angles and remember which targets you shot from where.

• 5 months later...

We shot a stage yesterday that was a ton of fun and had the shooter seated at all times.

There was an old office chair with a metal post welded underneath, extending to a mount that housed a tray (for the gun to start in) and a port comprised out of standard garden lattice work with a large hole cut in the middle. 3 arrays, all steel, mandatory reload between each array. The chair swiveled freely and comfortably, but wasn't so loose as to be a PITA to keep steady. Gun loaded and in the tray at start. All ammo had to start on the belt, but some competitors chose to grab their rearmost mags and leave them in the tray before getting to the shooting.

Array 1-- 4 little poppers, 3 big and a forward falling piece of steel.

Array 2-- 2 tiny "pivot plates" on either side of a Texas Star.

Array 3-- PPR.

We unofficially dubbed it the "TIE Fighter" stage, and several people hummed the "Empire Theme" before the buzzer. It was a blast, and many folks quipped we should just shoot that stage 4 times, then the Classifier and call it a day.

I thought it was going to be a nightmare, not so much from a difficulty perspective but a logistical one. As it turned out, it was my favorite of the day-- and lots of other people shared my sentiments. In my mind, when executed properly, these concepts can make for a fine addition to a match. And since the chair itself definitely took some work to put together, I look forward to the next stage that we shoot from it.

• 3 weeks later...