Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambi Safety? Why?

bisonresq

Ok I think I might be missing something. What's the point of an ambidextrous safety on a 1911? I just bought a S&W 1911 and it has the safety on the left - which I like. The ones with ambi safeties seemed to hit my hand in a way on the right side that I might initiate it accidentally while shooting. Am I the only one that feels this way??

you should be riding the safety with your thumb ( thumb on top of the safety ) this does 2 things, 1, keeps the safety down and 2, gives a consistent place for your grip which is as high as possible. the same goes for it on the right side ( Ambi Safety ) week hand shooting. This is not leaving out the Left handed shooter. Just reverse the above. to shoot a 1911 without an ambi safety is like walking out the door with one sock on.

I don't use ambi's either. I can engage the right side lever with my index knuckle.

As for "riding the safety", my support hand nearly covers the left side lever and my firing hand thumb rides on the heel of my support hand. In other words, my grip is so high that the safety is burried. There is no way I can ride the safety with my thumb, my other hand is in the way.

For gun games, an ambi is more of a liability (breakage). Safety can be disengaged with the strong hand before transition to weak hand.

I have ambis on all of my guns. For a right hand shooter, for competition when you draw and go weak hand I want ambi so I can wiope safety off after I have switched hands.

For real life, if my right armm becomes useless during a fight, I want to be able to wipe off safety in time to get back into the fight.

Shot a SS last year with an Ambi. got a new gun this year and it doesnt have an ambi on it. I dont notice much difference other than my thumb feels a bit naked shooting weakhand (that will go away with practice)

For a lot of people, if you shoot weak hand only ( righties anywa) with a high grip, you will trip the safety slightly with your trigger finger/ knuckles without an ambi.

With one, you ride it with your thumb on the right side, and nothing bad happens.

The ones with ambi safeties seemed to hit my hand in a way on the right side that I might initiate it accidentally while shooting.

Wide ambi's give me fits too. They dig into the knuckle of my shooting hand. Try a narrow ambi, it made a huge difference for me.

IMHO the best thing an ambi-safety does is give a slight boost ergonomics-wise by giving one an easy way to add leverage with one's thumb to the other side of the gun to counteract torquing the gun over to the side when/if one's trigger-press isn't relaxed and perfectly straight-back (like when shooting weak-hans which is awkward as-is). Don't think it's a deal-breaker, but I'd rather have it than not have it, just seems to add stability for me.

For a lot of people, if you shoot weak hand only ( righties anywa) with a high grip, you will trip the safety slightly with your trigger finger/ knuckles without an ambi.

With one, you ride it with your thumb on the right side, and nothing bad happens.

Exactly.

This past Sunday on Riverdale Standards Classifier on the third string it is WHO, all of my 1911's have ambi's except for the Trojan that I was shooting at the match, missed the safety on the draw, transitioned the gun to my weak hand and then looked like a monkey with a football trying to get the damn thing off with my weak hand

Unloaded, showed clear, holstered and then sent a text message to George Huening to order an ambi for the gun.

Well worth it IMO

I've gone from having them to when I replace them using single sided safeties. If you don't get it off on the draw and need to transition you've already screwed your mental plan up, not to pick on Jake biggrin.gif. The Single sided safeties tend to be a little less prone to breakage and I don't have the weak side safety bumping into things. Even when they are trimmed down they still can get hit. I don't ride the weak side safety just doesn't feel right to me when shooting weak hand anyway.

I've gone from having them to when I replace them using single sided safeties. If you don't get it off on the draw and need to transition you've already screwed your mental plan up, not to pick on Jake biggrin.gif.

Mental plan, like I have one of those.....luckily it was just the classifier :roflol:

I don't use ambi's either. I can engage the right side lever with my index knuckle.

As for "riding the safety", my support hand nearly covers the left side lever and my firing hand thumb rides on the heel of my support hand. In other words, my grip is so high that the safety is burried. There is no way I can ride the safety with my thumb, my other hand is in the way.

For gun games, an ambi is more of a liability (breakage). Safety can be disengaged with the strong hand before transition to weak hand.

+1

My grip is high enough that I can’t ride the safety anyway. And when using an ambi with my high grip my right hand knuckle pushes up on the safety. Single sided extended length tactical-width safeties with plenty of resistance are perfect for me.

I’m not sure I would want to ride the safety even if I could. Shooting strong hand only riding the safety just injects tension into my grip. Tucking my thumb has helped with trigger control and my scores for one handed shooting have improved a bunch. Control recoil with your weak hand and pull the trigger with your strong hand.

I wish my 2011 didn't have one. I've only accidentally moved it once.It was the first stage of a major match.something like that always happens on the first stage anyway.Glad the crome spartian I got from Dawson didn't come with one

I'm surprised to see you say that, although I totally understand where you're coming from. I think a lot depends on the shape of your hand. I've only ever shot one gun where the ambi dug into my hand (my friend's Para, which had an ed brown, I think).

Shot a SS last year with an Ambi. got a new gun this year and it doesnt have an ambi on it. I dont notice much difference other than my thumb feels a bit naked shooting weakhand (that will go away with practice)

I doubt that it will go away with practice, and I think you're going to miss that right side lever no matter what.

I don't shoot matches without ambies. I've yet to find the perfect ambi safety, but I really need that thumb rest for weak hand shooting, so I find ambies preferable, although there really is no perfect ambi (all of them have problems staying together).