Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new glock 35 fmj or kkm and lead?

razerok1

Depends on you. Are you reloading? Fmj is more expensive and has less smoke. Shooting lead will save money but will create more smoke. I shoot lead bullets, the only time I notice the smoke is if the sun is just right and even then I don't have a problem shooting.

Yes I reload I shoot Lead through my 34 I just don't feel comfortable shooting lead at major pf through the stock barrel in 40 The smoke doesn't bother me I don't realize it when I'm shooting anyway. Im just torn between shooting jacketed or picking up a kkm to shoot lead.

I went with kkm, I have to load the lead real short 1.110 in my 40 to get them to chamber

Did you throat or ream the chamber on your KKM Match barrel? The Gunsmith/Match version is "shorter" (extra material) for availabilty of fit in aftermarket slides. Just thought I'd mention it, if you didn't already know.

I've had a SL barrel in my 34 since I got it. Shoot lead thru it for local club matches.. Area match I put in the factory and shoot jacket. Clean up is easy using 000 or 0000 steel wool with only 4 or 5 passes and it is clean..

i just picked up a 35 to shoot limited im debating weather i should shoot jacketed bullets or pick up a kkm and shoot lead.??

what do you guys think and why?

Just shoot cast bullets out of the stock Glock barerll. I did it for years.... 25k through my 35. Just don't shoot a bunch of cast then shoot jacketed....or the barrell may bulge.

You can buy cast bullets here..... www.shooterready.biz

Just shoot cast bullets out of the stock Glock barerll. I did it for years.... 25k through my 35. Just don't shoot a bunch of cast then shoot jacketed....or the barrell may bulge.

Some folks have had very bad experiences shooting lead through the stock bbl. It really seems to boil down to excessive leading that isn't dealt with before high pressure problems occur. High quality cured hard cast bullets along with frequent and conscientious inspection and cleaning of the bore might explain why some do fine with lead, and others don't.

eta: I have trouble dealing with the smoke, so I am willing to pay more for jacketed for matches.

Edited by kevin c

The cost savings for lead go up dramatically the bigger the caliber. 9mm saves me some, but when I started using it in 45 is when I really noticed a difference. 1000 FMJ 45s at their cheapest are around 115 bucks and I can now cast that many for 10 bucks in lead and supplies. That adds up very quickly but also takes times. It's all about what your time is worth to you

Bets

100 dollars get me 2000 180lfp hard cast bullets, compared to 136 for 1000 MG 180fmj shiped or even 110 for 1000 extreme 180 plated bullets from TJ Conevera's, Inc if he has any. That is a pretty good savings.

Glock 35 stock barrel, Precision 185 grain moly, Winchester Superfield powder: makes major with no leading, and doesn't seem to foul teh internals as badly as some of the other loads do. And man, the difference in smoothness at teh same velocity over the jacketed bullets is amazing.

Glock 35 stock barrel, Precision 185 grain moly, Winchester Superfield powder: makes major with no leading, and doesn't seem to foul teh internals as badly as some of the other loads do. And man, the difference in smoothness at teh same velocity over the jacketed bullets is amazing.

"smoothness"? :unsure:

An official"Southern term," meaning the cycle is very smooth with minimal muzzle flip. I know it's probably not the correct technical jargon, but it's what I got. You know how us uneducated, gun-toting Southerners are.

care to share a little more info on that load.