Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulk Ammo Purchase

JediTodd

Since I'm not really into reloading, I'm looking to purchase some 9mm for Production. I was looking at a wide variety of ammo and was hoping someone could give some advice on type to get in order to make power factor and quality of ammo. I was looking at some of the reloaded brass ammo from Atlanta Arms and Ammo but was also considering some cheaper stuff. I'd appreciate any advice anybody could pass along.

Thanks,

Todd

Since I'm not really into reloading, I'm looking to purchase some 9mm for Production. I was looking at a wide variety of ammo and was hoping someone could give some advice on type to get in order to make power factor and quality of ammo. I was looking at some of the reloaded brass ammo from Atlanta Arms and Ammo but was also considering some cheaper stuff. I'd appreciate any advice anybody could pass along.

Thanks,

Todd

Save your brass - you will be reloading soon:)

Thanks,

Todd

Already saving everything. Just not ready to take the plunge for a press and other stuff. I figure another year of shooting and I'll be reloading.

Thanks,

Todd

Already saving everything. Just not ready to take the plunge for a press and other stuff. I figure another year of shooting and I'll be reloading.

Walmart had fedral 9mm $10 a box...

that's pretty cheap if you ask me...

you can find deals online but then you have to factor shipping into it...

i usually order 1k at a time from Natchez shooting supplies.. they tend to have good prices :)

i would suggest buying a single stage press and the other equipment needed and start loading. you can get package deals under $200 for the equipment needed to get started loading. after you are comfortable with loading on a single stage then save and go to a progressive.

Not to go agents the grain here, but once you factor the the cost of componets and the time you will spend behind the press, the savings on loading ammunition in 9mm minor. your savings might not be that dramatic. Specialy if your loading on a single stage press.

In my humble opinion 9mm is only worth the hassle if your loading 9mm major for open.

That's the one of the the great things about shooting 9mm in production.

You won't go broke shooting factory ammo.

You have to ask your self just how much is your time worth..

Now if you want to load just for the fun of it (I don't really like loading), then go for it..

Not to go agents the grain here, but once you factor the the cost of componets and the time you will spend behind the press, the savings on loading ammunition in 9mm minor. your savings might not be that dramatic. Specialy if your loading on a single stage press.

In my humble opinion 9mm is only worth the hassle if your loading 9mm major for open.

That's the one of the the great things about shooting 9mm in production.

You won't go broke shooting factory ammo.

You have to ask your self just how much is your time worth..

Now if you want to load just for the fun of it (I don't really like loading), then go for it..

I actually agree with Carlosa. Walmart has 250 round 9mm UMC for about ~52 bucks, and that's a pretty good deal (when you can find it in stock).

That said, you can load much softer shooting ammo, and you can save alot more money if you're loading/shooting other calibers (.45 acp seems overly expensive everywhere I look).

J

That 250 rounds of umc at eastcoast wallmarts more like 70 somthing..shoot a few rounds of 9mm that was handloaded, and you'll see why everyone tells you to start reloading..cheaper and shoots like a bb..compared to factory

Edited by sdm74

Don't kid yourself. If you continue in the sport, you will eventually find yourself reloading.

But until you're ready to go down that road, find an ammo you like and buy it in bulk. You will get better deals if you can buy 2-5K rounds at a time. Then save all your brass. When you get a press at least you will have enough casings to get you started.

I reload all my ammo, except 9mm minor. I just don't find alot of savings there when I factor in my time. Just a personal choice. I'm willing to put up with snappier stuff. I like the Winchester white box, but DC and Atlanta are great choices as well. And they both support the sport tremendously.

I suggest you buy your 9, save all that brass, and then when you're totally sucked into the sport you can trade it in to Scharch.com for primed and processed .223 brass for your 3gun AR. :goof:

Kevin

I reload all my ammo, except 9mm minor. I just don't find alot of savings there when I factor in my time. Just a personal choice. I'm willing to put up with snappier stuff. I like the Winchester white box, but DC and Atlanta are great choices as well. And they both support the sport tremendously.

I suggest you buy your 9, save all that brass, and then when you're totally sucked into the sport you can trade it in to Scharch.com for primed and processed .223 brass for your 3gun AR. :goof:

Kevin

Thanks for all the great replies! I just placed an order with Doug at DC ammo. I'm going to give that a try!

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

I can make 147gr lead for 85 1k. where can I find 147 that cheap?

Not everyone can shoot lead. I'm new to the Glock scene, but from what I can tell, most shooters avoid lead on that platform. There's also indoor ranges: some places wont let you shoot ammo unless it's TMJ and NT primer. Also, it takes a large outlay of cash to purchase components in thee quantities needed to achieve economies of scale. If you're loading .45ACP, you can afford to buy a single pound of WW231 at the FLGS, but with 9mm it seems like you need to go ahead and get the 8 lb jug.

I'm in a similar situation - currently shooting but not in a position to reload for now.

I started with "evaluation" packs (boxes of 50) from both Atlanta Arms and Precision Delta to see which functioned or didn't, if I liked one over the other, etc...

The AA functioned better in my gun so that's what I ordered in bulk. It's a little hot, but not unpleasantly so. When I finish remodeling the downstairs, I'll have a proper space for a bench and press and that's when I'll open up a tall frosty jug of blue kool-aid :lol:

Edited by lumpygravy

I found a local reloading company that was able to offer 9mm loads in a variety of weights and bullets, and it was close to cheaper than I could do myself (and oh, so much more conveneient). In NorCal, it's Load-X. A nice 124 gr right at a decent PF for Production.

I found a local reloading company that was able to offer 9mm loads in a variety of weights and bullets, and it was close to cheaper than I could do myself (and oh, so much more conveneient). In NorCal, it's Load-X. A nice 124 gr right at a decent PF for Production.

What do those 124gr chrono at? They seem a little hot for minor. You are looking at 1,088 FPS vs. 918 FPS for 147gr at 135pf.

I'm even looking at trying some 158gr.

Are hey more accurate for you than 147gr? Just curious.

Edited by E K

I shot a friend's 124gr today and really liked it. It was interesting. I wasn't running any timing drills so nothing scientific. The feel was the same but my gun seemed to group better with 124gr. Now I guess I get to buy some 124gr and mess with those as well.