Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maybe you shouldn't be reloading

Nolan

Maybe you're a little too tired to be reloading if......

you pull the fifth round out of the press to check the O.A.L. and discover you forgot to fill the primer tube and you're loading with SP2 :o

Maybe you're a little too distracted to be reloading if.....

you dump the powder into the case feeder instead of the powder measure and you're loading with 7625 :(

Maybe you're in too much of a hurry to be reloading if....

you install the 38 Special tool head instead of the 38 Super and you're puzzled why the powder measure isn't working ;)

Maybe you're trying to load a little bit too fast to be reloading if....

you seat the bullet and a nice sized chunk of finger meat in that 40 S&W case :blink:

Maybe you're a little too hung over to be reloading if....

you re-install the same 40 S&W tool head you just took off instead of the 38 Super that you wanted B)

Maybe you shouldn't be reloading and just go back to bed if....

you take off the bloody 40 S&W tool head you just re-installed and put on the blankity, blanking 38 Super tool head and discover you left the flippin' 40 S&W shellplate on....after you've loaded 200 high primered 38 Supers :angry:

Maybe you shouldn't be reloading if????????

Maybe you're in too much of a hurry to be reloading if....

you install the 38 Special tool head instead of the 38 Super and you're puzzled why the powder measure isn't working  ;)

I've done that one! :ph34r: I didn't quite get to the powder die though. The super high resizing effort and the buldged cases were enough to make me take a second look.

Maybe you're too distracted to be reloading if...

You get that voice in the back of your head wondering if you just loaded all your super ammo with 9 grains of n320 instead of n350 because you can't recall reading the lable before your poured it in the measure. :unsure:

Reloading=survival for me.

Using factory-ammo in .38SA and .40S&W over here in EU is very, very,very expensive <_< (I'm not a millionaire)

So I'll try to avoid all those pitfalls Nolan describes ;) Sometimes not easy. :huh:

Wile E. Coyote B)

You know you're reloading too fast when you pull the cotter pin on a fresh tube of primers and you end up with a hundred of the little beasts bouncing across your shop floor, seeking out every last inaccessible nook, crack and cranny available.

You know you're too tired to reload when you forget to lock down the measure, and the first case cycling through the station lifts it up for the safety return rod to tilt over and dump out, over the bench if you're lucky, over towards the space heater you're using if you aren't.

You know you aren't paying attention well enough to reload when, three out of every four times you stop to check OAL or the grain weight of the charge dropped (and each time, of course, congratulating yourself on being so thorough), you end up dumping a primed case full of powder into the loaded round bin because you forget to replace the bullet in the seating station.

Any other takers? :rolleyes:

You know you're too tired to reload when you forget to lock down the measure, and the first case cycling through the station lifts it up for the safety return rod to tilt over and dump out, over the bench if you're lucky, over towards the space heater you're using if you aren't.

Been there, done that! Was lucky though – no heater :-)

Bo

...when you dump another 100 primers on the RF100 even though its tube is full.

...when priming a case feels like it has a very loose pocket or there is no primer on the seater stem, but you cycle it up through the powder drop anyway, then you either:

a) discover there was no primer, as evidenced by all the powder that leaked through the flash hole, or

B) you pull the case out and turn it upside-down to check the primer, dumping its powder charge over your bench.

When you drop what you think are a half-dozen primers on the carpet and can only find one of them.

"Oh well, the beater bar on the wife's vacuum cleaner will find them"

(subtitled, "Oh honneeeyy....I think it's time for a new vacuum!!!"

dj

Nolan Say,

Maybe you shouldn't be reloading if: You're not bright enough to remember to put the &*#$% cotter pin back in the primer tube BEFORE you refill the tube.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who has done this. It's amazing the millions of ways you can screw up!

Howard

"...you end up dumping a primed case full of powder into the loaded round bin because you forget to replace the bullet in the seating station." (kevin c)
Been there, done that. Once. :huh:
"...and you end up with a hundred of the little beasts bouncing across your shop floor, seeking out every last inaccessible nook, crack and cranny available." (kevin c)
Well, and even a handful of them reliably scurry right to the least bit of space under boxes, suitcases and the like. It's damn' perverse, I tell you!! :angry: (They also get a kick out of hiding in the pile of even the shortest carpeting.) Someday, when I move out, perhaps I can restock my primer supply by just sweeping the floor where all these boxes and suitcases were sitting! <_<

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You forget to put the tube back in the primer filler and start the thing up for another 100 primers. Dink, dink, dinkdinkdink.

These are all great and I can see myself doing evry single one of them.

Good Job Nolan

Rob

You may be too tired if you put in the caliber change from .40SW to .45 ACP and notice that the primers sure are seating easily. And 20 non-primed rounds later you realize that you forgot to change to the large primer system. :(

You maybe shouldn't be loading if you actually manage to load a 40-45 round. Yeah, .40 expanded out to .45. Now if only I could figure out how to build a chamber that sucker would seat into and fire safely....that wasn't a muzzleloader. See also 9-40. :(

I actually did this.

Loading 40S&W and a 38Super case found it's way in the bunch. So I have a 40/38Super. Couldn't help myself, went straight outside and fired it.

Buggered the case but it went bang and the bullet left the barrel and hit the target.

You are definately to tired to reload if you aren't paying attention and run the decapping pin through your thumb nail and cut a perfect little circle in the bottom side of it(single stage/ rifle case). :huh::(:blink::wacko: TXAG

I actually did this.

Loading 40S&W and a 38Super case found it's way in the bunch. So I have a 40/38Super. Couldn't help myself, went straight outside and fired it.

Buggered the case but it went bang and the bullet left the barrel and hit the target.

:huh:

I could not bring myself to shoot mine. :unsure:

96918338-40.jpg

Erik, if that's where you are I've got about 600+/- 40's loaded to 180pf I don't see myself shooting that I'll donate to fill up your spare time. I considered it myself but I don't have the will or the time.

Only 180 PF? It would have to be practice ammo or for a match without a chrono. :)

I'm OK. In fact, I just discovered a big box of .40 brass that I thought was 9x19. Maybe you shouldn't be reloading if you don't know your component inventory and you try to load 9mm ammo with .40 cases...