Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need to worry about making Minor Power factor with factory 9mm?

digby7

Thinking about going to my first match next month where they will be chrono'ing ammo.

I shoot L10 minor with a Wilson CQB in 9mm.

Ive been shooting Federal factory 115gr fmj and I was wondering if I need to hunt down a chrono or if Factory ammo will make minor pf out of my gun with plenty of headroom? Ive heard that factory .45 makes around 190pf but wasnt sure what 9mm would make.

I cant find the specific type of ammo that I use on Federals website so I dont have a FPS to go with it.

If I do need to hunt down a chrono as it will be close to the limit, how far away should I setup the chrono?

thanks in advance.

If Federal wont do it, any recommendations on Factory ammo that will make minor PF without worry?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I will say "in general" it *should* make it - but I know people who went minor at a major with factory reloads - and I really want to say he was shooting .45 in SS, but I might be mis-remembering. Most should be fine, but for my match dollar, I'm going to verify anything and assume nothing. Someone should have a chrono or be willing to set one up at a match for you to run a few across. Most times they will also help get you shooting across it as they'll want to avoid any accident to their sensors :)

UMC is pretty close but it depends on the gun- some barrels are faster than others. Don't ever assume....

<div><br></div><div>If you don't make MINOR- you don't get bumped to Open you get a DQ.</div>

Edited by lugnut

UMC is pretty close but it depends on the gun- some barrels are faster than others. Don't ever assume....

<div><br></div><div>If you don't make MINOR- you don't get bumped to Open you get a DQ.</div>

You dont get DQ'd, you just get to shoot for no score

No, you just shoot for no score or recognition. Definitely not a DQ.

Appdx C2 39

If the resultant power factor fails to meet the minimum power factor floor

for the relevant Division, the competitor may continue shooting the match,

but not for score or match recognition.

At Nationals in 09 a production shooter on my squad made exactly 125.0 power factor with factory 115gr PMC. Since if you don't make minor your scores won't count, I would track down a chrono just to be sure. Especially for a match I paid a lot of money to attend.

thanks for all the replies everyone, looks like i'll go find a chrono to double check.

How much difference does temperature make, can I setup the chrono a foot away from the muzzle and how will they chrono my gun/ammo at the match?

My buddy may have one I can use but it'll likely be at a indoor range by his house.

You dont get DQ'd, you just get to shoot for no score

Right- worded that wrong. Apologies.

thanks for all the replies everyone, looks like i'll go find a chrono to double check.

How much difference does temperature make, can I setup the chrono a foot away from the muzzle and how will they chrono my gun/ammo at the match?

My buddy may have one I can use but it'll likely be at a indoor range by his house.

You don't want to be a foot in front of the muzzle - powder materials will not be nice on the chrono - plus it could screw up readings. 10 ft muzzle to first screen should do fine.

From the ProChrono user manual:

Pistols and Rifles

The main consideration here is probably muzzle blast. Make sure you stand back far enough from

the chronograph to avoid the muzzle blast triggering the sensors and introducing velocity errors. For

pistols, back off 5-10 ft; for rifles, 10-15. You may also encounter problems with certain types of shiny

ammunition. If you are using a scope, be sure to check the boreline-to-scope distance and aim the

crosshairs on the scope that much higher than the middle of the shooting area.

Here's a link ( I think ) http://www.brianenos...p?showforum=145 to our mega-chrono forum. cheers.gif

Factory ammo will make it with plenty of room to spare.

Uh, not so.

Depends on the gun for starters. Depends on which ammo as well. UMC made 121 in my M&P 9 Pro. Blazer Brass just did make 125. I have never shot WWB so I don't know there.

Around here UMC is used to calibrate steel because it is so weak.

You need to chrono everything. I've seen factory .40 Blazer which makes 180 PF out of my Glock 35, go minor, out of a different Glock 35. Same thing with 9mm. The batch of WWB 147 gr that I have is almost 150 PF out of everything I shoot it in. But I've heard others say it won't make minor. The UMC mentioned above as anemic is what I ran when I started in Production. I shot Area 1, Area 6, Area 2, Florida Open, Nationals and a World Shoot with it. Made Minor, about 135 PF, each time. Always chrono if you can.

Yes temp will make a difference, but it depends on the powder. Some will go up, some will go down, and some won't do anything depending on the weather.

Set the chrono 10ft from the muzzle. Doesn't need to be exact. You do want put a target or something down range to aim at. Amazing how trying to shoot into the void between teh screens will cause you to miss a 1 foot area at 10 ft and clip a support.

The 124 grain federal I shot made it with plenty of room to spair. I might swing by the match the day before and try to have some double checked though. Don't really have a place to setup a chrono.

In 9mm out of a 1911 why limited 10 minor and not single stack minor? At least with ss you get the advantage of 2 extra rounds over the major

As chrono operator a some major matches, I found that WWB and S&B easily made PF with a good margin, Remington was OK but without a great margin. Federal just made it.

Yeah, I would chrono out of your gun.

Actually, if you don't make chrono, you shoot for fun and your scores are posted as a DQ.

Out of a 5" barrel - I assume your 1911 is full sized - it should be no problem at all.

Paranoid me, though, I'd chrono. If you don't have one, I'm sure someone at the club or section level can help out.

BTW, 1911 in 9mm Luger in L-10 Minor? You must want that big magwell pretty bad!

I once shot the Doubletap match with a guy who shot Singlestack Minor with 10 rounds of 9x19 - he actually won B class.