Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI USPSA worth it?

XDman

I am looking to add a single stack to my shooting platfroms for comp, and have tossed around many other opotions like the Trojan, the Spartan, and some of the SA guns. But I know myself and would soon modify the above mentioned to the level of the USPSA anyway. So is this gun worth it, or do you feel it is better to build a 1911 up from a more basic platform? Let me say that I do like the overall setup and look of the USPSA.

I'm not real inmpressed with it, I'd be more apt to buy a Spartan, add a few upgrades and have a whole bunch of money left over for ammo, I dont like STI's ambi safty, would rather not have a stainless slide, recoil master, adjustable rear or meta front sight..

I'd buy the Spartan with a fixed rear and fiber optic front add a mag funnel, trigger control kit, Wilson or Ed brown wide safety, maybe some pimp grips and go shoot, I quit paying for looks on a gun as mine tend to end up looking like they have been dragged behind my truck anyways.

I've got a Spartan. Like it pretty well. You will probably want to customize it some, I believe Dawson still has them with a free fiber optic front sight or half off a magwell. STI is hard to beat. Maybe you can pick up a used one. Keep your eyes open.

For the money I would get a Trojan and make the minor adjustments that you want.

I have a Trojan (45acp) I don't like the mag release, the beavertail rattles and is junk, and the front strap STIppling sucks and the finish doesn't stand up very well.

I bought it used with a couple hundred rounds thru it for $700 so I didn't care about that stuff knowing that I would add skateboard tape and fix the other stuff.

But for the money the rest of the fit is pretty good, I have about 2000-3000 rounds thru it and still good fit to slide and frame, barrel locks up real tight and gun has been 100% reliable and accurate.

Had George Huening put in a Keonig Hammer and EGW Sear and work the trigger and he has it now going to swap out beavertails and add an extended mag release.

I would not have bought it for $999 or what ever the going price is. I would have bought a Springfield Mil Spec or a Colt base model and had it set up the way I wanted or would have bought the parts and had one made.

I'm not real inmpressed with it, I'd be more apt to buy a Spartan, add a few upgrades and have a whole bunch of money left over for ammo, I dont like STI's ambi safty, would rather not have a stainless slide, recoil master, adjustable rear or meta front sight..

I'd buy the Spartan with a fixed rear and fiber optic front add a mag funnel, trigger control kit, Wilson or Ed brown wide safety, maybe some pimp grips and go shoot, I quit paying for looks on a gun as mine tend to end up looking like they have been dragged behind my truck anyways.

STI Spartans don't have an ambi safety. They are left side only.

Food for thought. If you're going to shoot the gun in IDPA the STI USPSA is out. You have to have a bushing on a 5 inch gun. If the gun is just for USPSA then don't worry about it. Having said that, I've seen one and like it. Would I buy one? Don't know. It seems to me there are some other choices for a little less money. I don't know that I would buy a Spartan over the USPSA. I have a Trojan and you can pick those up for less than a grand. I'd probably go with the Trojan myself, but I also shoot IDPA, which is why I bought a Trojan.

Food for thought. If you're going to shoot the gun in IDPA the STI USPSA is out. You have to have a bushing on a 5 inch gun. If the gun is just for USPSA then don't worry about it. Having said that, I've seen one and like it. Would I buy one? Don't know. It seems to me there are some other choices for a little less money. I don't know that I would buy a Spartan over the USPSA. I have a Trojan and you can pick those up for less than a grand. I'd probably go with the Trojan myself, but I also shoot IDPA, which is why I bought a Trojan.

The double stack has a bull barrel but the single stack has a bushing.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/USPSA-SS/USPSA-SS.php

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/USPSA-DS/USPSA-DS.php

I have an STI Sentry. I really love the feel of that 1911. Is it perfect to me, no. Mine is in .40, and I had to polish the ramp for it to want to function with non STI mags. It is the nature of most people that compete to want to play with whatever they get. Get something you like, that feels good, and enjoy it. I would tend to buy something that has been gone through, such as the Dawson tuned guns or something like that.

All in all, I would believe that with a company like STI, if you pay more, you really do get more.

WG

I've shot Gary's and they are very nice guns. They lock up nice and tight and if it has the parts you'll use then I don't see any reason not to get one. I use other parts in my builds so I had a gun made but I ended up spending the same for almost the same gun.

I sure like mine. I've only put 525 rounds through it but it hasn't had the first hiccup. Even my Baer Thunder Ranch Special had a couple of misfeeds during the 500 round brake in so I'm impressed with this gun. I like the sharp checkering it really grips your hand. The saber tooth cut on the slide also grips real well and there won’t be any slipping off the slide with it. The only thing I would have liked would have been the fiber optic front site which I may add later, this model didn't have it. Accuracy is outstanding, didn't even have to adjust the sights when I took it out of the box. Slide to frame fit is really good and it locks up tight, no rattles here.

This is my fist STI but it has found a home with my Wilsons, Brown, and Baer. I would post a picture but I don't have enough posts on this site.