Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Dillon, why ?

Let let start by saying I have two (one in use)550's and I love them but sometimes you have to wonder why companies do what they do.

I'm getting things around so i can start to reload 357 sig and after a lot of reading I decided I want to get a Reeding G-RX die and and run all my 40 cal and sig brass through it before loading. I called Reeding to see what I had to do to use this die in my 550 and to my surprise they said you can't !!!. The gentleman that I talked to said that Reeding designed and made a prototype shell holder/pushrod that would work on a 550 and offered it to Dillon but they were not interested????

I would think it would be a good seller but I guess dillon didn't???

So now I guess I'm going to sell my other 550 and get a single stage press for the G-RX

I got a Lee single stage press for around $30-35 and mounted my Gr-X push thru die and run all my once-fired 40 brass through it. Works like a champ. Even though I case gauge every once-fired brass after reloading, I yet to have one fail the gauge after Gr-X.

It' another step in the reloading process, but guarantees your ammo will be good to go after using once-fired brass.

Don't sell the 550 to finance a single stage press. You should be able to find a good used one for $100 or less with a little looking around. You don't need much of a press for the G-RX die, just a simple single-stager will do just fine.

Well I'm not sure I need two 550's. I have one mounted and one I just picked up and have not mounted it yet. I have enough bench space to fit one more press so I was thinking about getting the Reeding T-7 http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:t-7-turret-reloading-press and doing single stage press work on it as well as Rifle work. The T-7 head holds 7 dies and has interchangeable heads so I can mount two different calibers on each head. Money isn't the issue as much as bench space. If the dillon doesn't sell locally I may just get the T-7 next Friday when I'm at Cabelas and figure something out later for the extra loader

100% of my brass is once fired LEO brass, the majority of which is fired through Glocks. I've loaded about 7000 rounds with my 650 since I received it last summer. I do use a Lee/EGW u die. But, out of the 7K I've loaded, I've only had one fail to fit the case gauge. So, I can't really see a reason to have another press with the GRX.

100% of my brass is once fired LEO brass, the majority of which is fired through Glocks. I've loaded about 7000 rounds with my 650 since I received it last summer. I do use a Lee/EGW u die. But, out of the 7K I've loaded, I've only had one fail to fit the case gauge. So, I can't really see a reason to have another press with the GRX.

+1 for the EGW Undersize die. It is not perfect, but I seldom get a "Glocked" piece of brass that does not slide into my Dillon case gauge. :cheers:

Well I'm not sure I need two 550's. I have one mounted and one I just picked up and have not mounted it yet. I have enough bench space to fit one more press so I was thinking about getting the Reeding T-7 http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:t-7-turret-reloading-press and doing single stage press work on it as well as Rifle work. The T-7 head holds 7 dies and has interchangeable heads so I can mount two different calibers on each head. Money isn't the issue as much as bench space. If the dillon doesn't sell locally I may just get the T-7 next Friday when I'm at Cabelas and figure something out later for the extra loader

If you are not sure about needing a 2nd 550 then maybe you would be willing to sell it to me so I don't have to keep switching die heads between 9's and 40's and 45's. I reload on the kitchen table but it would be no problem to buy another 2X12 to mount it on and just change boards.

:wacko: I bought the Lee Reloading manual and it came with a free press (cost $24.00 book and press), and that is what I use for the GRX. I'll trade you the press and the manual for your Dillon 550. The GRX is much better than a U-die, in fact I run 40 thru the GRX instead of my CasePro because its easier, faster, and does what it needs to do. The U-die only cut my reject rate by 50%.

Just let me know where to send the books and the press and I'll give you my address for shipping the 550.:devil:

:wacko: I bought the Lee Reloading manual and it came with a free press (cost $24.00 book and press), and that is what I use for the GRX. I'll trade you the press and the manual for your Dillon 550. The GRX is much better than a U-die, in fact I run 40 thru the GRX instead of my CasePro because its easier, faster, and does what it needs to do. The U-die only cut my reject rate by 50%.

Just let me know where to send the books and the press and I'll give you my address for shipping the 550.:devil:

Dang...you beat me to it CocoBolo :sight:

I also prefer the GRx over the U-die for 40.

If you are not sure about needing a 2nd 550 then maybe you would be willing to sell it to me so I don't have to keep switching die heads between 9's and 40's and 45's. I reload on the kitchen table but it would be no problem to buy another 2X12 to mount it on and just change boards.

I have thought about making two mounting brackets and mounting the 550 to one and the T-7 to the other.

I have enough bench space to fit one more press ....

I use a custom aluminum fixture which holds various base plates; one plate is for a Dillon 550B and the other is for an RCBS Rock Chucker. I can change presses simply in a few minutes.

+1 for the EGW Undersize die. It is not perfect, but I seldom get a "Glocked" piece of brass that does not slide into my Dillon case gauge.

I thought I read somewhere that Dillon case gauges have comparatively looser tolerances than others (e.g. Wilson, EGW, etc.)?

I thought I read somewhere that Dillon case gauges have comparatively looser tolerances than others (e.g. Wilson, EGW, etc.)?

Yeah, my Dillon gages are definitely looser. Looser than the chamber on my lone wolf glock barrel. If a round fits a wilson gage, it'll fit and feed into any properly chambered barrel.