Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Son shipped out - I need to vent!

First off - this is more of a venting than a posting. I am a pretty private guy, usually jumping on here asking for help for something dumb I have just done and need help to fix it. Or I see a friend on here and I try to make a witty comment. (That usually falls short too! :rolleyes:)

This morning I just need to vent a little............we arrived home from the Florida Open/Disney World yesterday just in time for me to get THAT phone call. My son, 2ndLT Josh Thomas, USMC, was sitting on the tarmac waiting to load up for Afghanistan. (As a type this he should be arriving)

He is my oldest. Followed my path into the Armed Services. I am sooooo proud of him and yet I now know what I put my parents through. Only difference was I was buzzing around in a C-130 in non hostile environments. No one shot at me in Antarctica!

Josh was suppose to be in flight school right now. There was a huge backup so he volunteered for IOC school and is now leading some brave young men from the Chorpus Christi area into combat...and combat it is. They already know the story and expect to have a very busy 7 months.

As a father....this is killing me. I have read on this forum many fathers talk of their sons and daughters doing the very same. I am so proud of them too. Trust me, I don't feel my son is any better than yours. But...he is MY son. This is new and this is tough. The thoughts that run through the brain just plain ol suck.

September cannot get here fast enough.

Thanks for letting me vent. GOD BLESS ALL OF OUR TROOPS!

Steve :cheers:

I too have a Son in Afghanistan, And I feel the same mix of pride and worry.

I know my parents also worried when I was off on missions.

For some families this is just the norm, others may never know.

I know we are all counting the days till our Sons and Daughters return.

My very best wishes to you and yours

Jim

Only today do I finally know what raising me must have been like for my parents. Then to see me go off to serve in the Army and be gone for years at a time.

The other day an Air Force recruiter called to talk to my youngest. I was never so glad to hear her say she was going to college and wanted to do something else with her life. I would have been SO proud of her if she had wanted to go but I was happy she didn't.

I can only imagine the worries you are having for your son who is bravely going into harms way for us all. They say the smart soldiers pray for peace. I wish they could all come home and live peaceful lives. I pray for this every day.

Bigpops, don't ever hesitate to come here and tell us how he is doing. We are all patriots!

Steve,

That picture of you saluting your son that you posted a year or so back has always stuck with me as a particularly proud moment in the life of a parent. While I may never know the sense of fear you must be experiencing, I know that feeling of pride. You obviously raised a good man and I'm certain that he'll make you proud yet again.

We all look forward to his safe return!

Seth

Antarctica!!!????

I joined the Army just before 9/11 and got out in '04. I'm totally blown away that we are still in Afghanistan. I've changed careers twice since I've been out! I think we've been there 2 years longer than the Soviets were there.

I can see why you want to vent. Remember though....he's a Marine. They're the best! I always felt like a pussy when the grunts were around. Full respect and support to your son and his brothers in arms. :bow:

I can definitely relate to your situation. My son just got out of the Corps in September. He did two tours in Iraq. Both times he deployed I was at the same time extremely proud of his selfless desire to step up for his country and concerned for his well being. I always remember what the Marine recruiter told me, "We put way too much time and money into traing our men to lose them." That was something good to fall back on. Being in command he will have some additional control of the situation. My son was the door breacher by his choice on his first tour and saw gunner on his second tour. Now that he is out he realizes how much ammo costs when he used to burn through mine!

My ultimate respect to you and your son!

Larry

I was a Corpsman for a long time. I respect all of the armed forces of our nation but......The Marines are the best. There are no conditions that terrify, that's right, TERRIFY Al Qaeda, more then finding out they will be engaging US Marines. Nothing I or anyone can say will make you feel better. Thank You is not enough but it's all I have. When I sit next, I will see Angels surrounding you, your son and his Marines.

My wife and I caught a television commercial tonight about joining the military. We had a discussion about how we would react if one of our kids came to us and told us he/she wanted to join the military.

Still though, I can't imagine what you are going through so I won't pretend that I do. I sincerely hope your boy makes it home alright and soon.

I know what your going through, my wife and I have been through this a number of times. Our son is career Marine,16 years to date. He's a GySgt,

a leader of Marines just as your son is. It's tuff to handle and it doesn't get any easier from deployment to deployment.But we must remember this is their chosen field.I've asked my son why he looks forward to the next deployment. His answer is always the same.I need to be there to take care of my Marines and bring them all home to their families.

My wife and I will pray for your son as we do ours,and all of the other men and women in harms way throughout the world.

Take care. The seven months will go by faster than you think.

God be with him and your family as you endure the burden of knowing your son is facing down evil. Please thank him for his service - though I know this will never be enough. And thank YOU for your service as well, pops.