Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Price of bullets going up?

twister

I saw a post on another forum about the increase in the price of precious metals...therefore the price of bullets is on the increase. With the way things are going right now, EVERYTHING is going up in price. It ain't pretty.

20% seems like a lot though. However, that sounds like something a local gun shop would pull on a customer. I'll pound a penny over a mandrel and fill it with lead from a wheel weight to make my own bullet before I give it to my local gun shop.

Lead has actually come down in price since it's peak in Jan. of '08

At the peak, it hit $1.70 per lb. Today it's $1.19

Even with the recent run-up in copper, I don't see bullet makers raising prices like they did 3 years ago.

For the most part, bullets are expensive because of demand. If manufacturers can sell their bullets faster than they can make them...then prices will rise. Panic buying and hoarding have more of an effect on bullet prices than the spot metal market does.

Even with the recent run-up in copper, I don't see bullet makers raising prices like they did 3 years ago.

For the most part, bullets are expensive because of demand. If manufacturers can sell their bullets faster than they can make them...then prices will rise. Panic buying and hoarding have more of an effect on bullet prices than the spot metal market does.

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=107821080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104761080

spot-copper-5y.gif

spot-lead-5y.gif

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-copper-5y-Large.gif

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-lead-5y-Large.gif

Good job of Cabelas to pick the date when copper was at a low... I dont mind companies doing what they have to do to stay in business and make a buck, but using dodgy statistics to justify price increases leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by gose

LESSONS FROM OPEC !

I think the Shooting Sports Mfgrs ahd Suppliers have been understuding OPEC. Create somekind of Phoney AZZZZ Shortage or Story that the public will buy. THEN JACK THE PRICE, ALL THEY CAN SQUEZZZZ OUT OF US. JMO

For the last two years we have been scamed, extorted, robbed for PRIMERS, guess this year it'll be BULLETS.

Beware of pump shock at your local friendly gasoline dealer. thats next.

Be SAFE & Cover your Butt!

Perry

To Control the Masses, Keep em Im-mobile, Rag Azzzz Poor, Hungry, and Dis-armed.

I hear tell Montana Gold are going up March 1st but not sure how much.

I hope not. I'm paying $81 OTD for 1K of 124gr 9mm FMJ's and $147 OTD for 1K of 230gr 45gr FMJ's at my local shop right now.

Edited by Victor R

Lead is not up all that much but antimony has gone up!!!!! tin has gone up a lot as well.China has stopped all the exporting of antimony and that is what is driving up lead alloy and bullet prices. Right now the bullet companies are having a very hard time getting lead tin antimony mix. We are paying more per pound for bullet alloy now than we ever have I usually buy about a ton of bullet alloy a week.

• 2 weeks later...

It is still cheaper to roll your own that buy factory

I shoot lead exclusively to keep cost at minimum if it goes up I just look at the price of factory and I don't feel so bad anymore

As of today MG prices are the same.

I ordered six cases from Manny on Monday, and he said MG has already notified their dealers about the increases. He said they just haven't gotten around to raising them on the website, but any day now that will change. The typical increase sounds like $5/K or something along those lines...not drastic, but not welcome.

Everything's going up this year. Or haven't you bought gasoline lately. Bullets, brass, shipping charges, food, clothing, etc. etc. etc.

Just a part of life under the BO regime. :closedeyes:

Oh yeah and it's going to get a helluva lot worse before it even starts to look like it will get better. Hang on Luke, I think she's gonna buck!

Pat

Bullets & gas aren't the only things going up, the Federal Income Tax Withholding (FITW)on my Military Retirement went up $32 a month. Something to do with a tax credit that expired when Congress gave themselves their latest raise.

I remimber Zero 180 JHP,$49 per K. They have not gotten any cheaper

I can remember when .45 230 FMJ shipped to my door (including shipping) was $41.00 per K. Back before the 10mm Auto and 40 S&W were even in existence.

WoW you must be old!!!! :lol::lol::lol: