Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Primer catch and "blue nut" mods

Well, I am finally having some reliability issues with my press after a few years of moderate use.

My"blue nut" on the failsafe rod is working loose. I can actually watch it turn a little every stroke. Has anybody done a mod to keep it tight? Did you just put a lock nut on it? Two nuts locked together? Or just put a new insert in the blue nut to make removal easier? You can get them at ACE Hardware.

And Why did you do what you did?

I am also starting to have problems with with the primer catch chute sticking open. I know I can put a safety pin or a finish nail in it but I want to do something more permanent. I have read about putting tubing on the 650 to catch primers. But has anybody done anything like this on the 550? There is alot of movement involved and was wondering if anybody had success with a tubing mod.

Thanks

On my 550B, I haven't had the primer failsafe rod issue yet <<knock on wood>>, but I have had the primer catch chute sticking open. Seems when the cotter pin starts to wear, it will allow the chute to ever so slightly catch on the side of the mount area. I removed and reinstalled the cotter pin only to have it do it again. I removed the chute and used it to measure for a small nail the diameter size of the holes, remounted it using the small nail and with a small set of needle nose pliers was able to bend the pointy end of the nail just enough to hold it in place...haven't had a problem since. I guess I could have asked Dillon for a new cotter pin, but engineered it instead.

Had a fail safe nut back off, causing the powder measure to throw some really light

charges. That lead to the conversion of an open gun barrel, slide and comp into

an interesting paper weight. I double nutted it, no problems since.

The rod that goes from the Powder Measure to the shellplate and makes sure the powder measure never sticks open. It on all the new presses. Has been for years. Some people hate the thing. I think it helps the measure work better.

Dillon will mail you a new nut insert for the blue knob for the asking. Same with the primer chute cotter pin.

Having said that, I'd take the whole "roller bracket assy" off (see page 5 of the 550 manual) and give it a thorough inspection and cleaning. I've seen some of the tin chute parts pretty bent up and binding on each other. If the tin parts are badly worn, replace 'em. Dillon will send you new ones for free.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

I've used a rubber flexible plumbing connector as a neat funnel to catch primers. It's shaped like a squat icecream cone. Push it in the collector cup and it works great. Home depot under flex coupling. Not sure of size. If you'd like I can PM you with size when I get home.

Had a fail safe nut back off, causing the powder measure to throw some really light

charges. That lead to the conversion of an open gun barrel, slide and comp into

an interesting paper weight. I double nutted it, no problems since.

Mine has worked loose in the past, I just keep an eye on it. But, even if mine does work loose, it will never throw light charges....I use the springs from the old style on EVERY measure I use, old style or new style...The springs are easy to find, Home Depot and Lowes carries them or a near replica. Another thing you can use is the 3/8" wide rubber band that comes on stalks of broccoli at the super market...You usually can even find them in Blue! So, you get some fiber in your diet and don't blow up your gun! :cheers:

A thought, if you didn't want to double nut it, maybe a dab of finger nail polish on the threads, or some easily removed thread locker on the threads would help.

The primer chute thing has given me fits, at times, until I took it apart, cleaned it to shiny mirror finish, replaced the cotter pin with a stainless nail (stainless seems to be harder than regular nails, and doesn't scratch, making the chute open and close smoother). No problems since.

Edited by GrumpyOne

I am also starting to have problems with with the primer catch chute sticking open. I know I can put a safety pin or a finish nail in it but I want to do something more permanent. I have read about putting tubing on the 650 to catch primers. But has anybody done anything like this on the 550? There is alot of movement involved and was wondering if anybody had success with a tubing mod.

The safety pin solution is the Dillon fix. It works like a champ.

The safety pin solution is the Dillon fix. It works like a champ.

I used a small paper clip. Cut it to length, bend one end with pliers, insert it, then bend the other end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I was having the same problem with my primer catch chute. I used a paper clip and cut it to the length I wanted. At first it didn't work because I bent the ends so much it was binding the chute up. This was not allowing it to move freely. So I figured out if you just barely bend the tips just enough to keep the paperclip from sliding out it doesn't bind the chute and allows it to move freely. Hope this helps someone