Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.380 loaded as a 9mm

Loves2Shoot

I always wondered what would happen if a .380 was loaded really hot. Any damage to the shooter or to the gun besides the extractor?

Just his ego. :cheers: It was sort of a bugger to get the extractor out without taking off the slide. It was bent down drastically, so the slide couldn't go forward or rearward to remove the slide.

I've actually caught 2 of those little buggers going through my Hornady - luckily the powder checker die let me know something was up. The case is too short to fully actuate the powder drop, and there was only about .75 gr of Tightgroup in the case.

Between the .380 and 9X18 I'm finding in my range brass, it's enough to raise my alcohol consumption levels.

I've had one slip in before. If I don't feel the difference when it sizes I usually catch it when I check the powder charge and it nearly looks like a double. Even if it got past that point, it really wouldn't look right after being seated. In most cases you can catch it if you're paying attention, but obviously it's possible and does happen. I'm surprised it did that much damage though. I would like to know what his load was?

Ive shot a couple of TG under 125jhp in a 380 case. Not on purpose, and just a little bulge. I only found out after picking up my brass after. Now i hand sort any 9brass i load. Still catch a few on the sizing station.

Every once in a long while a .380 will slip into the 9mm bin and i'll accidentally load it- this is the reason I use dillon ammo boxes for all of my loaded rounds, it looks suspiciously out of place compared with the other 9s in the box. It's nice insurance against this sort of thing. Also had a makarov round sneak in before...can't trust those Russians.

Had one slip through the cracks once, despite case gauging and inspection. Titegroup and a 147 JHP in a .380 case in a Glock 34. No damage to the gun but definitely caught my attention when fired at practice...did create a new visual standard for a "guppied" case.

Curtis