Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sarge Has Morphed into Kevin Sanders

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why use a "fake" name...?

Never found the need to hide behind internet anonymity to say the things I want to say... :devil:

Kevin Sanders, this ones for you... :cheers:

It is all about a thing called "Social Engineering"

I google for your real name and your ENOS posts come up. Oh, I see you going to shoot a match out of town on certain dates---I know you have guns, so I might have free access to your house.

Not using your real name has nothing to do with 'hiding" your identity from other shooters on this forum.

Surely you can't be serious Larry. :mellow:

I just did a Google search for your name and on the 1st page of results alone I came up with 4 references to guns/shooting, and 1 specifically was a link to an Enos thread about the 2008 Indiana Sectional, where you worked as a CRO. The 2nd page had 3 more links.

You can play with words all day long, but you can never really "disconnect" from your real name on the internet. It will always trace back to you.

My suggestion to you and everyone else is don't post on this forum, Facebook, MySpace or any other social media sites when / where you are traveling out of town.

Your not telling me I anything I did not know. You can never totally "disconnect" as you said, but you don't have to give "freebees' either. Have you ever heard of "Identity theft" ? I did not coin the phrase "Social Engineering". either!

Edited by FullRace

I just figure my chances of becoming a victim of identity theft are about as good as me winning the Nationals. They don't increase simply BECAUSE I used my real name on a gun forum.

I'm on Facebook, was on MySpace, I'm listed in the phone book, and I don't worry about giving out my birthdate, last 4 of my ssn, or my address (when it's necessary). If somebody wants to steal my information I'm sure I have lots of other loopholes I haven't plugged, than for me to worry about a moniker on Brian Enos.com.

That is all. Carry on.

Funny story.

A few years back this same type of discussion came up on THR but it was about posting pictures of gun collections. This one guy (I forget his name) said he'd bet $500 no one could find the location of his guns by his Internet posts.

15 minutes later I had his home address and called his phone.

Granted there was no guarantee that his guns were stored at that address but it sunk in just the same.

No one is anonymous. Some people are simply harder to find than others. I'm not saying you should post your info since "it's there anyway" and there are ways to protect yourself but this guy had ONE tiny piece of info that he'd forgotten about that lead me to him.

Why use a "fake" name...?

Never found the need to hide behind internet anonymity to say the things I want to say... :devil:

Kevin Sanders, this ones for you... :cheers:

Does it count when you show up to a club match, don't even know the MD and your scores are posted with your Enos handle?

It does when the MD knows 2 other people on your team :) BTW are you showing up for the March 13 match so I can put your handle on the score sheet again?

PM and let me know

Edited by kaiserb

It's not about identity theft. Much of the risk of identity theft in general can be mitigated by using common sense in what you post. Other forums that I am on block access to the spiders so that the content is not searchable outside the forum. This is not about that, though. It's about accountability and integrity. These things seem to be in short supply in our society lately.

It's not about identity theft. Much of the risk of identity theft in general can be mitigated by using common sense in what you post. Other forums that I am on block access to the spiders so that the content is not searchable outside the forum. This is not about that, though. It's about accountability and integrity. These things seem to be in short supply in our society lately.

Did I read that right?

If I don't use my real name as my login I am lacking in accountability and integrity?

Did I read that right?

If I don't use my real name as my login I am lacking in accountability and integrity?

Every body else. :roflol:

It is an adjustment to civilian life right? :roflol: Kevin congrats on the win, and on your new identity. I've not changed my handle but putting the picture of myself as the avatar made me instanly recognizable at major matches and had lots of folks come up and ask "You dat Coco dude, right?" So I think you have made the right choice.

I put my real pic up too! :roflol:

Just ask ATbarr! :roflol:

Edited by GrumpyOne

It is an adjustment to civilian life right? :roflol: Kevin congrats on the win, and on your new identity. I've not changed my handle but putting the picture of myself as the avatar made me instanly recognizable at major matches and had lots of folks come up and ask "You dat Coco dude, right?" So I think you have made the right choice.

I put my real pic up too! :roflol:

Just ask ATbarr! :roflol:

:roflol::cheers: AT is HOT!!!

In my case... it's similar to my real name.. I log onto many web sites with this.. so why change? ;)

Kinda Similar to Sargenv, except that I started Compeditive Shooting in Black Powder Rondevous and moved into SASS and my "Handle" has stuck with me for 20 years. In fact, there are as many shooters who ONLY know me as Modoc as those who know me as Will. :cheers:

So for me, it is just an AKA that I have had for more than half of my life :devil:

In my case... it's similar to my real name.. I log onto many web sites with this.. so why change? ;)

Kinda Similar to Sargenv, except that I started Compeditive Shooting in Black Powder Rondevous and moved into SASS and my "Handle" has stuck with me for 20 years. In fact, there are as many shooters who ONLY know me as Modoc as those who know me as Will. :cheers:

So for me, it is just an AKA that I have had for more than half of my life :devil:

Hey that's cool too! :)

Similar thing here. Probably more people know me as Gomer than as Mike. Even the sign on my office door says Gomer. :)

...and yes, ImA45Diva...you can read!

Did I read that right?

You seem to understand the concept pretty well so I dont think I need to elaborate. My comments were not directed at an individual but at the policy in general. This is not the first time I have voiced it here either and yes hiding behind a persona limits accountability.

Edited by larry cazes

Did I read that right?

You seem to understand the concept pretty well so I dont think I need to elaborate. My comments were not directed at an individual but at the policy in general. This is not the first time I have voiced it here either and yes hiding behind a persona limits accountability.

dry.gif

Did I read that right?

To a certain extent, I'd be inclined to agree. Extended web-presence and the universal use of one or two usernames typically negates that, however.

Edited by spanky