Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9mm for 3 Gun?

DMAC

I am thinking about getting one of these, and I'm just wondering if any of you are shooting one for 3 gun and what mods you've done or gunsmiths that you know of who can do trigger, finishing, stippling work!

M&P Pro also. I have a Dawson f/o front sight. I got one slightly shorter to bring up the POI. I also have the apex competition sear and spring kit along with the RAM. I put the stock trigger spring back in for an increased pull. I like it. I did my own stippling with a soldering iron. The backstrap is replaceable for very cheap, so it was risk free. The upside is, all of these modifications can be done by yourself fairly easily.

I think I'm going to run tac optics this year with a 9L. I added Apex sear, USB, and RAM, SSS big magwell, and TF +6 basepads. I put Dawson adjustable rear and FO front on it. So far, runs like a champ. My first choice was an STI Eagle in 9mm, but I had the 9L, so decided to save a few bucks.

Its a great gun to use for 3gun, Cost to get a magwell and a couple 140mm mag extension is cheaper then 1 Untuned STI mag. Throw in Apex parts in it and your GTG! The advantage of having a M&P over say a 2011 for 3gun would be the fact that when abandoning the pistol into a drop bucket there is no safety to engage, This seems to always get people at the bigger matches with 2011's causing for a DQ. Another advantage would be the 23 rounds your gonna get in your mags every time without needing a real Tuning, with 2011's you almost need a mag mechanic to get that many rounds. Now that I have both I can say what the disadvantaged of having a M&P vs a 2011 are also, for one, Recoil even in 9mm is incredibly smoother with a heavier steel framed 2011 compared to the light polymer M&P. Also ummm... THE PRO'S USE 2011's!!! :roflol:

ps. and oh 2011's have the CDI factor

Edited by DocMedic

I have been using a Para P18 with Dawson pads for 21 rds. This year I am going to

try my 9L with the 23 rd (reloadable) mags. The M&P is lighter on the belt, holds more

rounds, and quicker to abandon. Accuracy seems on par with the Para. The advantages of the Para are less felt recoil and much nicer trigger. But I still want to try the M&P this year.

Craig

Thanks for all of the feedback. I just ordered a Silencer Co Osprey 9 mm suppressor and I'm looking for a host for this. I figured I can get a second threaded barrel to shoot this suppressed for fun when I want and swap out the barrel and have a back up 9mm for 3 Gun as well. The M&P seemed like a good option for this as, opposed to getting a Sig or HK which aren't ideal for 3 Gun. I currently have a Glock 34 that I like, but I compete for fun and I like to change things every so often just for fun and to support the industry. I have Benny making a 9mm 6" 2011 gun for me now that I will likely compete with at most matches.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I just ordered a Silencer Co Osprey 9 mm suppressor and I'm looking for a host for this. I figured I can get a second threaded barrel to shoot this suppressed for fun when I want and swap out the barrel and have a back up 9mm for 3 Gun as well. The M&P seemed like a good option for this as, opposed to getting a Sig or HK which aren't ideal for 3 Gun. I currently have a Glock 34 that I like, but I compete for fun and I like to change things every so often just for fun and to support the industry. I have Benny making a 9mm 6" 2011 gun for me now that I will likely compete with at most matches.

One consideration for a suppressor host pistol is that the sights are tall enough to see over the suppressor body. I have mine on a Browning Hi Power and had to put a tall adjustable rear and tall Millett front (.340) to clear.

Craig

One consideration for a suppressor host pistol is that the sights are tall enough to see over the suppressor body. I have mine on a Browning Hi Power and had to put a tall adjustable rear and tall Millett front (.340) to clear.

Craig

That a good point. I also just picked up an HK USP Tactical 45 to use with an AAC TiRant that I have coming. I know this suppressor needs some taller sights and I've only found two that will work. I think that the eccentric design of the Silencer Co Osprey is such that you don't need taller front sights, but I do plan to contact Silencer Co before I swap out the sights on the M&P 9L (which I just ordered this evening!).

Thanks again for the input! This will be a work in progress as I will send it Boresight Solutions for grip work, another person who to do mill work on the slide to make some pretty cool looking serrations, need to order a threaded barrel from Storm Lake and then get in melonited, smooth and lighten the trigger and send off the frame to get it changed from black to FDE.

Another option may be a laser. You could get one that mounts to the rail on the dust cover and then just put the

competition sights on of your choosing and not worry about clearing the suppressor. Just a thought.

Craig

I think I'm going to run tac optics this year with a 9L. I added Apex sear, USB, and RAM, SSS big magwell, and TF +6 basepads. I put Dawson adjustable rear and FO front on it. So far, runs like a champ. My first choice was an STI Eagle in 9mm, but I had the 9L, so decided to save a few bucks.

I'm afraid you are going to have to change your username if you are going to run tac optics :roflol: :roflol:

Thanks for the info. It looks like these will be the changes that I will do as well.

Did you go with the Duty Carry AEK or the Competition AEK?

I've already self-fulfilled the prophacy of that user name; I seem stuck in B class. But all I shoot anymore is 3gun, so classifiers aren't going up very quickly. I pieced my parts, did a little at a time. I did the sear first, shot it for a while, then added the USB and Ram. I left all the stock springs in it. Trigger needs getting used to if you shoot 1911's alot, like I do. The price, capacity, and ease of dumping it in a box are all there. I just have to get used to the platform.

The suppressor would be a problem in a match so your idea of keeping it for practice is a good one. I RO'd a guy shooting a suppressed AR. The last shot was through a barricade. Had a heck of a time getting the timer through the barricade to "hear" the gun without hitting him, or interfering with him.

The suppressor would be a problem in a match so your idea of keeping it for practice is a good one. I RO'd a guy shooting a suppressed AR. The last shot was through a barricade. Had a heck of a time getting the timer through the barricade to "hear" the gun without hitting him, or interfering with him.

Yeah.....probably pretty hard to find a holster that will work with the Silencer Co Osprey 9 as well :D .

I'll probably shoot some of my local 3 Gun matches with cans on my rifles. They still won't be hearing safe or offer any advantage, but if I'm spending the $$ and sending the ATF an extra $200/can, it would be nice to shoot and enjoy them.

I would recomend ordering S&W sku: 150922. Its already set up from the factory with the 9mm threaded bbl and proper sights for a suppressor. Looks equally capable as a 3-gun pistol.

I had the oportunity to shoot an M&P .45 with suppressor at the A-6 3-gun a couple of years ago curtousy of Ernest Langdon. It was a real fun shooter and got me hooked on suppresors and M&P's. I will soon be doing an M&P w/suppressor, problem is I cant decide weather to go .45 or 9mm.

I would recomend ordering S&W sku: 150922. Its already set up from the factory with the 9mm threaded bbl and proper sights for a suppressor. Looks equally capable as a 3-gun pistol.

I had the oportunity to shoot an M&P .45 with suppressor at the A-6 3-gun a couple of years ago curtousy of Ernest Langdon. It was a real fun shooter and got me hooked on suppresors and M&P's. I will soon be doing an M&P w/suppressor, problem is I cant decide weather to go .45 or 9mm.

45 is easier to suppress as much of the ammo is already subsonic. For 9mm, I reload 147gr bullets at around 870-900 fps. They work real well and make PF if you want to use the same load for competition work.

Craig

45 is easier to suppress as much of the ammo is already subsonic. For 9mm, I reload 147gr bullets at around 870-900 fps. They work real well and make PF if you want to use the same load for competition work.

Craig

I believe the model you referenced is not the long model and I wanted the 5" slide/barrel.

Storm Lake makes threaded SS barrels for the 9L model and I've ordered one of those as well as threaded barrel for my Glock 21.

I also have an AAC 45 TiRant on order that I will be able to run on my HK USP Tactical and my Glock 21 so I'll be able to have some suppressed 45ACP fun as well. If I really like the M&P 9, I'll probably get the 45 as well.

I've also order the Dawson Adjustable rear and .305 Fiber Optic front sight from Speed Shooters Specialties. I hope it will clear the can and still be functional for 3 Gun.

Edited by DMAC

I have an Osprey 45 on order. I'm also getting extra pistons for .40 and 9mm. Three calibers in one can with only a slight increase in decibel level.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was surprised how much more the M&PL recoiled than my Glock 34.

I've sent the slide to Springer Precision for some lightening cuts and Dawson sight installation and I'm going to put the Apex drop in competition trigger and add the limited magwell too.

Hopefully I'll have it back in a month or so and let you how it shoots.

I've sent the slide to Springer Precision for some lightening cuts and Dawson sight installation and I'm going to put the Apex drop in competition trigger and add the limited magwell too.

Is your Glock 34 stock or worked over. My observations with my M&p pro vs G34 are, using same ammo in out of the box guns, actually they were pretty close, just felt a little differant was all.

• 2 weeks later...

Is your Glock 34 stock or worked over. My observations with my M&p pro vs G34 are, using same ammo in out of the box guns, actually they were pretty close, just felt a little differant was all.

The Glock 34 had some work before I got it (Vanek trigger, different guide rod and spring-I don't know which). I added the big SJC Magwell (it fits my hands well) and Dawson adj sights.

Update for the M&P: I added the Apex Comp Trigger and RAM and the trigger pull is much lighter and smoother with a firm reset, but the reset distance is longer than the Glock. Springer has the slide and Boresight Solutions is doing some stippling work for me. I'm going to GunKote the frame once I get it back in 5 weeks or so to match the FDE Silencer Co. Osprey which is at my Class 3 dealer and I should be able to send off the paperwork to the ATF next week.

Probably 6 weeks to go before the gun is complete and 3 months for the can. I'll get the M&P back about the same time my Benny Hill Fat Free is completed. Can't wait for Spring!!

• 7 months later...

I ran an M&P pro for a season, I absolutely hated the trigger so I dumped it and drank the Glock 34 Kool-Aid. That being said, it is definitely worth it to get the 9L or the pro for a smoother shooting gun (little less muzzle flip). If you do snag a 9L, like others have mentioned, get the Apex kit and it will clean the trigger from grimy to buttery.

Talk about timing. An old thread with a update yesterday. Anyway, I havnt shot this 5.25 9MM with the dot since I put it on last nite. Fri and Sat I will if the weather improves. I like the gun stock with the 28+1 mags and I dont know if anyone is making 170mm extensions for the M&P. This is a trial and if I dont like it will go back to iron sights but still use the 170MM mags.

I like the M&P but this is also an option.

Edit to add I misread. Thought the OP was looking for an open M&P.

IMG_0364.jpg

Edited by tnek