Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using an ak competitively

Glockgrabber

It's doable, but not competitive at all. Long range shooting suffers from what I've heard.

Go to a local 3gun match, and give it a try though. You could use it to learn the fundamentals of 3gunnin at the very least, while also checking out others AR-15 rigs, to see what you like. When you decide to upgrade you won't be doing it blindly.

I don't think it'd be even remotely competitive, but I would encourage you to try it just to get the feel for the game before putting out a lot of money for an appropriate rifle.

An AK is just not a precision instrument nor sufficiently ergonomic to drive fast.

A Sig 556 is a close to an AK as I would try. I'm pretty sure that even they would suck.

The ergonomics of the AK make it less than ideal. Mag changes are a LOT slower due to the rock-n-lock setup (for lack of a better term). The safety/selector switch is in a bad location and most have no last round bolt hold open. The sight radious with irons is too short and most optics mounts for AKs blow. If your shooting a match with shots past about 200yards 7.62x39 posses its own set of problems. It tends to drop quickly and most ammo is far from consistant from round to round, let alone box to box or case to case, which makes knowing your D.O.P.E that much harder. You also dont have the wide selections of mags, like you do with the AR which make getting in prone or improvised possitions easier.

The AK just wasn't designed to be a "Riflemen's" weapon, and it shows. It was designed to be cheaply manufactured, easily maintained, and put a fair ammount of "firepower" in the hands of Armies that lacked real training to be usefull in the capacity of a Riflemen. The different design philospophies are best illustrated by comparing the selector switches of the two weapons. An M-16 goes from safe to semi the to burst/auto. By contrast an Ak goes from safe to auto, then to semi. Right there you can see the difference. The m-16 platform was designed to be a rifle first and an automatic weapon second. The AK was/is the converse.

That said, if I was looking to shoot 3-gun and an Ak was all I had, by God I would be shooting an AK in 3-gun. The most important part is to get out and shoot/compete. The equipment can and will come as money makes itself available.

Just my .02

Back when I first started shooting 3-Gun, I used an AK (all I had at the time) for my first couple matches. It's certainly not the best rifle option, but it beats the hell out of staying home. Take it and shoot it - you'll meet other 3-gun guys and get to see what they're running, which will help you if/when you decide to upgrade.

Back when I first started shooting 3-Gun, I used an AK (all I had at the time) for my first couple matches. It's certainly not the best rifle option, but it beats the hell out of staying home. Take it and shoot it - you'll meet other 3-gun guys and get to see what they're running, which will help you if/when you decide to upgrade.

+1

i've been lookin into AK's here lately, and off the top of my head i'd say if you're into puttin a few dollars into it...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40310/avs|Make_3=AK-47/Product/EXTENDED_MAGAZINE_RELEASES

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21713/avs|Make_3=AK-47/Product/AK_47_MULTI_RAIL_FOREND_SYSTEM___SCOUT_MOUNT (if you want to do a dot for Tac Opt)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27512/avs|Make_3=AK-47/Product/AK_47_AMD_MUZZLE_BRAKES

just a few examples of stuff I'd consider.

A Sig 556 is a close to an AK as I would try. I'm pretty sure that even they would suck.

The ergonomics of the AK make it less than ideal. Mag changes are a LOT slower due to the rock-n-lock setup (for lack of a better term). The safety/selector switch is in a bad location and most have no last round bolt hold open. The sight radious with irons is too short and most optics mounts for AKs blow. If your shooting a match with shots past about 200yards 7.62x39 posses its own set of problems. It tends to drop quickly and most ammo is far from consistant from round to round, let alone box to box or case to case, which makes knowing your D.O.P.E that much harder. You also dont have the wide selections of mags, like you do with the AR which make getting in prone or improvised possitions easier.

The AK just wasn't designed to be a "Riflemen's" weapon, and it shows. It was designed to be cheaply manufactured, easily maintained, and put a fair ammount of "firepower" in the hands of Armies that lacked real training to be usefull in the capacity of a Riflemen. The different design philospophies are best illustrated by comparing the selector switches of the two weapons. An M-16 goes from safe to semi the to burst/auto. By contrast an Ak goes from safe to auto, then to semi. Right there you can see the difference. The m-16 platform was designed to be a rifle first and an automatic weapon second. The AK was/is the converse.

That said, if I was looking to shoot 3-gun and an Ak was all I had, by God I would be shooting an AK in 3-gun. The most important part is to get out and shoot/compete. The equipment can and will come as money makes itself available.

Just my .02

ding..ding..ding :cheers:

The most comprehensive answer yet, most have bits and pieces, this one says it all :cheers:

jim

To the original poster, be advised, my opinion here is mostly wishful thinking but is meant to give you hope. I'd like to run an AK myself and see how far I can take the platform just because I like it. Unfortunately, others have tried the platform and failed, but I'm not others. :D

I think most of the ergonomic and sighting issues could be largely overcome with the right equipment and practice, knowing of course that it will never feel like an AR. The mag release linked above would help, ergo selector levers are common, there are 40 and 75 round mags available relatively cheaply 75 round mag link and better scope mounts are becoming available AK scope mount link.. Add a scope with a BDC that matches the 7.62 and the trajectory would become less of a factor.

Recoil and accuracy (both gun and projectile) may be the biggest issues that can't be overcome sufficiently. Mine is a well build gun by Rifle Dynamics and it's only 4 MOA with any factory ammo. Handloads will help, but I don't have much hope of achieving less than 2 moa. The recoiling mass is very large. A 74 style comp helps but sights still move a lot.

Accessories for the AK have proliferated in recent years and the trend will continue. That's good news for AK users. It will make you and your gun (and mine) be more competitive than ever.

If all I had was an AK, I would be using it until I could get something better. Look on Youtube for "AK magazine change" and you will find methods to change the mags faster.

Cap hits the nail on the head. Also, think of the ergonomics required for mag changes, especially empty weapon changes. Lots more movement in changing mags with an unmodified AK.

It isn't the rifle for this game due to many factors.

Now if we added mud and water, the AK would be much more competitive.

I may try an AK in one of our local 3-gun matches just for the fun of it and see how bad I do fumble around. I usually shoot HM so at least I'm used to something a little more bulky and heavy. Might be fun and I won't care about losing all my brass like I hate doing when shooting .308 cheers.gif

AK sure but it will only be effective in the shorter range matches. My good Friend from El Paso who has more rifles and full auto weapons than I can count shot the AK with Optic to a decent finish at the TX State Carbine Match, but shots only out to 130 yards. Another local friend has won on more than one occasion the local Tactical Carbine matches shooting his AK, but these are typically 40 yards and less. I've won these Tactical mathes with a Marlin Camp 9 and an M1 Carbine. So find some short range matches and have a blast. The problem both encountered was finding ammo a magnet did not stick to, which you can't shoot on courses of fire with steel.

So the bullets in the Wolf and Golden Tiger stuff isn't just a standard lead core bullet, or is it the jacket that isn't allowed?

The soft iron jacket of this ammo probably won't hurt an AR500 steel target, but the problem for the match director is that he can't tell the difference between an iron jacket and a tungsten steel penetrator core. As a result, most MDs will ban all ammo that attracts a magnet when shooting at steel targets.

To the OP, go ahead and shoot a couple of matches with your AK. If you have good solid shooting fundamentals, I'm sure you won't come last, and you will learn a lot with minimal financial outlay. If you like the sport, you can always sell your AK and buy an AR :D

Edited by StealthyBlagga

So the bullets in the Wolf and Golden Tiger stuff isn't just a standard lead core bullet, or is it the jacket that isn't allowed?

The soft iron jacket of this ammo probably won't hurt an AR500 steel target, but the problem for the match director is that he can't tell the difference between an iron jacket and a tungsten steel penetrator core. As a result, most MDs will ban all ammo that attracts a magnet when shooting at steel targets.

To the OP, go ahead and shoot a couple of matches with your AK. If you have good solid shooting fundamentals, I'm sure you won't come last, and you will learn a lot with minimal financial outlay. If you like the sport, you can always sell your AK and buy an AR :D

Thanks, that explains it well.

Thanks, that explains it well.

There are alternatives to Wolf and other steel jacketed, but not cheap.

Hornady VMax ammmo

Yes shoot the AK until you get your fill....then get something different.....or with the popularity of 3-gun and the AK platform and IF you are the organizational type. Start your own AK only 3-gun match......gasp......:ph34r: . Sounds like fun?!?!?! A LOT OF WORK but fun.

thanks yall i really appreciate this. i would love an ar, but im to poor, and i cant sell my ak :(

Well, here's some motivation for you. It can done - to an extent...

I shot an AK for the second half of 2010 since I didn't have an AR15 barrel that shot less than 17 MOA (It helps when your rifle has rifling :roflol: ).

Enjoy:

Edited by DyNo!