Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is a 9mm to much for a 12 year old

jsa

Im new to the sport and im just starting my 12 year old son out. I have him shooting a glock model 17 with a advantage arms 22 kit and wanted him to start shooting with the 9mm top end. Any thoughts

john

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As his dad thats somthing only you will know i have a 12 boy and he a big kid and i know he could handle it and the recoil but i seen other kids his age or older that i wouldnt let

My first thought is, if you put the 9mm top end on, only load one round in the magazine. That way when he shoots his first 9mm round, you can see how he handles the recoil, the shock of shooting such a big bullet compared to the 22, things like that. If you have a full mag, who knows where that second shot is going to go. I did this with my girlfriend when I first took her shooting. It worked out well.

When my daughter started shooting she was 12,@ 5'2" 100 lbs she liked the feel of the recoil & wanted to know why I didn't start her with the 9mm. Of course it was only loaded to about 120 pf, but as stated by others only you know if he is ready. :cheers:

Edited by TruStreet

He is 5'4 and about 115 lbs and loves to shoot I think he is ready but like to see what others think as a safety tip.

Does your state law allow children of your son's age to handle and shoot handguns? In Iowa the minimum age is 14.

Furthermore, a parent or guardian or spouse who is age 21 or older, of a person age 14 but less than age 21, may allow the minor to possess a handgun or handgun ammunition for any lawful purpose while under the direct supervision of the parent, guardian or spouse, or while the person receives instruction in the proper use of such firearms from an instructor age 21 or older, with the consent of the parent, guardian or spouse. Section 724.22(5).

Quick google search for NJ:

Section 2C:58-6.1b adds that no person under the age of 18 shall possess, carry, fire or use a firearm, and no person under the age of 21 shall possess, carry, fire or use a handgun (unless the person is authorized to possess a handgun in connection with the performance of official duties), except under the following circumstances:

In the actual presence or under the direct supervision of his or her parent, guardian, or a person who holds a permit to carry a handgun or a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card; orFor the purpose of a military drill supervised by a recognized military organization, lawful and supervised competition or target practice, or lawful hunting, where he or she possesses a valid hunting license and has successfully completed a recognized hunter's safety course.

New Jersey imposes harsh penalties, including a mandatory minimum prison term of three years without parole, on anyone who knowingly sells, gives, transfers, assigns or otherwise disposes of a firearm to a person under age 18. Section 2C:39-10e.

New Jersey prohibits any person from selling, giving, transferring, assigning or otherwise disposing of handgun ammunition to a person under age 21. Section 2C:58-3.3c.

Edited by centermass

My son is 13 now and has been shooting 9mm and .45 since he was 12, we've added .357, .40 and just last week 10mm. We started on 22LR with a MKII, and when we need to work on the basics we always return to it. When he's confident to try something new we go for it.

Hello: My 12 year old son has started shooting a Glock 34. He is on the small size at only 83lbs. He did start by shooting 22's. He is a safe shooter and has shot an IDPA match and some USPSA practice days. I have him shooting Limited minor so he only has to do 1 reload. I think if your son feels confortable and you feel that he is safe then go for it. The young shooters are our future in this sport :cheers: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

A .22 conversion is great to start off with, he'll familiarize himself with the Glock that way.

I like to start new shooters with only one round in the gun once it's a centerfire, that way, even if the recoil startles them, nothing will happen thereafter. Chances are, your son won't mind the 9 at all once he is ok with the .22.

Good luck!

My petite 11 year old daughter went from airsoft to 130PF 9mm with no problem. She's not strong enough to rack the slide but recoil is no problem. She does have strong hands for her her size though from playing piano for 5 years, just not the muscle to rack the slide yet.

Edited by Filishooter

It's great that you are giving your son the opportunity to get hooked on shooting. We had an instance at the club last year where a parent started his son with a Glock 17 and WWB ammo. The young man had trained with a .22 and was very safe. The empties were barely rolling out of the gun and the youngster had several failures to eject. The gun functioned properly with an adult firing. I suggested the father look into a lighter recoil spring as his son just could not hold the gun firm enough for it to function 100%. I wish I could tell you how this worked out but I haven't seen the young man as school, athletics and scouts are keeping him busy.

If you reload, and you are unsure, load up some mousefarts to start. Drop a super light recoil spring in there, and run some ~110-115 PF loads, and see how he handles them. If that goes well, move up to match level ammo, then up to WWB or similar factory. If he handles the .22 well and is excited about moving up, then as long as you think he's safe, he should be ready.

Mac

He is 5'4 and about 115 lbs and loves to shoot I think he is ready but like to see what others think as a safety tip.

Does your state law allow children of your son's age to handle and shoot handguns? In Iowa the minimum age is 14.

I went to several major matches in iowa before I was 14 and have never been questioned by anyone about being old enough to shoot. Huh

I do reload and think i will load a couple of light loads for him to see how he reacts.

He has a good stands and a firm grip. Dont think there will be a problem but just being a

parent I guess !!!!

Thanks

john

My first thought is, if you put the 9mm top end on, only load one round in the magazine. That way when he shoots his first 9mm round, you can see how he handles the recoil, the shock of shooting such a big bullet compared to the 22, things like that. If you have a full mag, who knows where that second shot is going to go. I did this with my girlfriend when I first took her shooting. It worked out well.

I did the one round in the mag with a girl friend I took to the indoor range. It was a good thing cause I need to dig lead out of my arm because she shot the target holder and it came lookin for me !

B