Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Mp overtaking the GL as the #1 gun for IDPA

At our local 3-gun match this sunday there were 3 M&P's on my squad and one Glock. There were 8 competitors in my squad. I have noticed an increase in popularity of the M&P lately, partly due to the fact that I switched to one. Kinda like when you buy a new car and all of a sudden you notice it seems everybody has the same car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am really watching the two. I am a HUGE Glock fan, who finally decided to try out something different. I bought a new M&P40 from the local gun store. Love it but can see some areas that leaves me thinking I still like the Glock. For one thing the 15 round magazines rattle. S&W seemed shock that I would complain about this when I called them but it is a huge deal to me as I also carry concealed. This is a sad thing and a big weakness in a great gun that I see no reason for. I quick Google search showed I was not alone here. The second issue I have is I really hate the take down on the gun. Needing to use a tool on the little wire or whatever they call it is just plain stupid to me. Yes I know its suppose to be safer as you dont need to pull the trigger like you do on the Glocks, but this argument is worthless to me as I am a ferm believer every time you handle a gun other than to shoot it you need to safety check it and make sure there is no rounds in it. This includes field stripping. So there is no side effects of having to pull the trigger as I already know there is no rounds in it. I also do this with the M&P as a dry fire is always added to my safty check just in case my eyes missed the round.

This seems like a real knock down to the M&P, and it is I guess, but I dont mean for it to be. I love the gun! The feel and the trigger are awesome but those are two major strikes that could prevent me from fully switching over. Everyone has there own opinion these are just mine, but I feel I am not alone in them. Anyone know of a good 3rd party manufacturer of M&P40 mags?That would at least solve one of the problems the other then I could probably learn to deal with.

honestly does it even matter... i mean just shoot the gun you like and who cares what every else is shooting

This may be surprising, but a lot of folks on this forum are into guns, (go figure) and therefore are curious about trends among the shooting community. Some of us happen to notice what pistols other competitors are shooting. For a relatively new gun to have garnered so many shooters in a such short time says something about the M&P, so yes, it does matter. But no one is really suggesting that you or anyone else switch just because others have.

I have now shot the Glock and M&P Pro side by side, and really like the Glock much better. I can not for the life of me dry fire the M&P without a "twitch" at the end. Always the same, over to the right, and a bit low (wait, right and a bit High)???? The Glock just does not move.

Trigger ergonomics I guess, but many new shooters are probably more likely to go with who has the best marketing, without ever shooting each one, side by side, and when you pick them both up, admittedly, I think the M&P does feel better.

I will stick with my Glock and 1911/2011's, but the M&P's have a lot going for them.

As an interesting side note, Washington State DOC just switched platforms from H&K, to M&P, and every officer I have had the opporunity to speak with has seen an increase in their qualifier scores. When you think about that, and consider that now a good portion of those officers, their friends and family will now need to get M&P's for their very own, I would expect to see a huge increase in overall M&P sales and use. What happens on the range will also be interesting.

In my humble opinion, M&P has done a phenominal job "fixing" problems Glock never really had.

WG

Edited by Wild Gene