Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

press check

rooster

At the make ready command shooter chambers a round, inserts full mag then does a press check to make sure a round is in the chamber. Puts thumnb in front portion of trigger guard and finger on guide rod and squeezes slide back ever so slightly to see round in chamber. Is this a safety violation?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Press checks are legal but can RO's a bit nervous at times. Some folks come close to sweeping themselves.

Upon further review I miss-read "thumnb in front portion of trigger guard" Bad..bad. Match Dairy Queen.

Edited by Jman

I would say illegal, but I am interested in the opinions of more experienced RO's.

10.5.9 Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard during loading, reloading, or unloading. Exception: while complying with the “Make Ready” command to lower the hammer of a gun without a decocking lever, or while initially loading a revolver with a spurless hammer.

I think Sperman is right...he's putting a finger inside the TG.

It's also a pretty dumb way to do a press check. R,

took the words out of my mouth. digit in the trigger guard is bad. there are better ways to check the gun.

I dont see the need for one anyway. Gun is empty at the MR command. then i insert a mag and rack the slide with my eyes and attention on the chamber area. I know if a round went it. Id rather have it slide home with a full speed vs cracking it an inch to see if there really is a round in there. Id hate to press check and have my gun just slightly out of battery when i went to take my first shot.

rooster wrote:

At the make ready command shooter chambers a round, inserts full mag then does a press check to make sure a round is in the chamber. Puts thumnb in front portion of trigger guard and finger on guide rod and squeezes slide back ever so slightly to see round in chamber. Is this a safety violation?

WOW! :surprise:

Just when I had thought I had heard it all.

Where does somebody learn to do something like that?

I mean is that taught somewhere in the military or at the police academy?

I think Sperman is right...he's putting a finger inside the TG.

It's also a pretty dumb way to do a press check. R,

took the words out of my mouth. digit in the trigger guard is bad. there are better ways to check the gun.

I dont see the need for one anyway. Gun is empty at the MR command. then i insert a mag and rack the slide with my eyes and attention on the chamber area. I know if a round went it. Id rather have it slide home with a full speed vs cracking it an inch to see if there really is a round in there. Id hate to press check and have my gun just slightly out of battery when i went to take my first shot.

I always do a press check to be sure that a round made it into the chamber. Then I make sure the gun is in battery and the mag is seated before I holster. I've seen lots of shooters drop a mag upon unholstering or experience a click for the first shot. A press check and a mag tap would've fixed this.

I don't disagree, but I will say that with an Open gun that has a conventional mount, it's harder to see, and you can't always tell on the mags whether a round is gone or not. For that reason, I do a press check (well, a pull on the racker check anyway). Because of that, it's sort of carried over into all of the other divisions for me....I do a press check, but I know it doesn't cause issues with any of my guns (knock on wood). I just don't like having more than one LAMR routine, but others may not find it a problem. R,

I've seen Steven Segal do it in some of his movies.:ph34r:

Just for the pure unadulterated hell of it. Is a thumb a finger in the context of the rulebook?

I've seen Steven Segal do it in some of his movies.:ph34r:

Just for the pure unadulterated hell of it. Is a thumb a finger in the context of the rulebook?

If it isn't, it should be. I'd have no qualms about DQing someone who stuck their thumb in the trigger guard between make ready and beep. Sounds like a great way to have an ND while simultaneously losing control of the gun.

If someone wants to check the chamber, it's easy enough to do by grabbing the rear of the slide and pulling back a half inch. Fingers can stay where they're supposed to be, and a good grip on the gun can be maintained.

Edited by bbbean

I've seen lots of shooters check to see that a round has chambered but is it really necessary? I've loaded my guns more than a few times and I can hear and feel the difference when a round is chambered and when it hasn't. I would think that most experienced shooters can tell the difference too.

I can tell, when I'm RO'ing, that a shooter hasn't chambered a round when he racks the slide because it sounds completely different. Kind of a an interesting situation, you know its going to go "CLICK" but you can't tell him. For a club match and a new shooter I'll help him out but other than that they're on thier own.

Just to take this to the extreme (absurd?)

When is the act of loading completed? If there is a round in the chamber, and the mag is seated, are you done with the process of loading? If you pull out the barney mag and put in another mag I say no. If after the chamber check you flip on the safety and holster the weapon, I'm not sure.

Webster defines a finger as , any of the five terminating members of the hand,

True enough. But Rule 10.5.8 thru 10.5.10 calls it the finger. I'll bet you a slick willie could Arb this.

It was routinely done in the 70's and early 80's...and I never saw anyone have a problem...sometimes even pistol shooting can get too politically correct.... :(

It doesn't have anything to do with politically correct. It has to do with rules and safety.

FWIW, I used to hunt and shoot skeet with a bunch of guys who thought nothing of taking a cooler of beer to the range or a bottle of whiskey to the duck blind. No one ever got shot but that doesn't make it a good idea to knock back a few between stages.

I regularly press check, but not with that technique.

That guy's seen too many Steven Segal movies.

DQ.

Mark,

you sure that would hold up in the absence of sweeping? [/devil's advocate mode]

Let me mull that over. I'll get back to you.

I'm thinking (1) finger in trigger guard while loading, (2) if he isn't sweeping himself he is damn close.

I press check on occasion when I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling on the load. Grab rear of slide and pull back.