Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Latest Open Gun Dilemma

Sarge

I'm currently having a 9mm Open gun built and having another in what has been a long list of dilemmas.

I really like the looks of the traditional mount for the Cmore as opposed to the 90 degree mounts. Everything I am reading or hearing is telling my to go with the 90 in 9mm if I want trouble free operation.

I also clearly understand the advantage of getting the Cmore closer to the slide but can't get over the beauty of a traditional scoped gun.

Ughh.....

I'm always interested in other shooters thoughts or experiences so please don't hesitate to share.:)

You will get the usual opinions here, but the bottom line is - changing a mount is very easy, so you should really try them both yourself. This is the only way you will know what is the best solution for YOU. Yes, there IS that additional concern with 9mm, but it is not universal.

i had the exact same feeling when i had my 9mm open built. i originally had a solid alchin mount with some cool looking holes drilled in it but i kept having ejection issues. i finally decided to say screw it, even though i don't care for the way sideways mounts look, my gun has yet to jam in the 1500 rounds i have ran through it with that mount on it. One thing i do want to try later is an offset mount like the one brazos custom has and see if it works with 9mm major.

hope this helps,

lilB

Traditional C-more mount requires the 9 major gun ejection/extraction to be more finely tuned. As you put more rounds down the pipe, expect malfunctions due to brass hitting the bottom of the mount and bouncing back into the chamber. Having a side mount almost eliminates that possible problem. Over-nighting a gun backand forth to the smith is expensive and a PITA.

"Finding the dot" is a hell of lot easier wth a side mount.

Traditional C-more mount requires the 9 major gun ejection/extraction to be more finely tuned. As you put more rounds down the pipe, expect malfunctions due to brass hitting the bottom of the mount and bouncing back into the chamber. Having a side mount almost eliminates that possible problem. Over-nighting a gun backand forth to the smith is expensive and a PITA.

"Finding the dot" ...... comes through repetition, Larry. Practice will help solve just about anything, except a gun that doesn't work right.

The one thing I think every GM, alive or dead will agree on is "your gun cannot have any faults". Type of gun, size, weight, length, height, color, caliber .... are all opinions. But the FACT is, if your gun jams you will never have fun, nor any chance of winning your class.

So whatever you think looks cool, remember your gunsmith knows what he is talking about. If you want a traditional looking open gun, maybe 38 super would be a better choice. Or can a single-sided upright scope mount work with 9major?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't care what the gun looked like, but if it wasn't running and spray painting it baby shit green would make it run, it would be green. :wacko:

9 Major is a bit tougher road than 38SC, I switched to Sidemore before I switched the guns to 9 major but only because I am dot challenged and the sidemore fixed that.:ph34r:

I just got my new gun back from hard chrome and I'm ready to paint it green, but I think I found the issue, the guide rod was dragging, find out at the next match..:mellow:

Type of gun, size, weight, length, height, color, caliber .... are all opinions. But the FACT is, if your gun jams you will never have fun, nor any chance of winning your class. (much less anything else)

That folks is gospel right there...

Form <<< function. If it don't run, it's a pretty, expensive paperweight. A 90* mount make things easier on the 'smith &, for some folks, makes it easier to find the dot. A good 'smith will be able to make it run with any type of mount/optic, everything else is you.

I never owned a major 9, but I tried 2 different 90 mounts. It's nice to put bullets where you want them on both short and longer range shots instead of compensating up close.

I don't shoot much run n gun, but I see the advantage. Steel doesn't matter unless you shoot 9.. 90 is adventageous to both calibers and both games.

Just bought an SVI IMM in 9major and it runs flawless with the traditional. A fellow shooter just had a Millennium Custom gun made in 9major and that too is running with a serendipity. Personally i would try the one I like first and if it doesnt work then switch.

I bet it does. I found few guns that shoot and feel as good as my SV guns. I think I found out why today. RW C hardness in forged heat treated carbon or stainless is aout 2x the C hardness of STI made goods. You can say it doesn't matter after hard chrome, but a blued SV already has a RW c hardness of 40-42. Hardchrome is like 50-60 Rockwell.

I like the 90 mount. I have tried other 9 major guns with the traditional mounts and I have to say that I like the 90 mount better. I don't know if its just me but the size of the lense seems bigger on the sideways mount than on the traditional C more.

I like the 90 mount. I have tried other 9 major guns with the traditional mounts and I have to say that I like the 90 mount better.

That's the key - one has to try it to know what's best for him.

In reality neither one is perfect, both have strong points, but while I do own and shoot guns with 90 degree mount, and appreciate their strong points, I think it will still be the traditional ones for me once the season opens.

Like I said - this decision is not like selecting the caliber... one can go back and forth between the mounts in the matter of 20 minutes, and for something like fifty bucks.

I'm currently having a 9mm Open gun built and having another in what has been a long list of dilemmas.

I really like the looks of the traditional mount for the Cmore as opposed to the 90 degree mounts. Everything I am reading or hearing is telling my to go with the 90 in 9mm if I want trouble free operation.

I also clearly understand the advantage of getting the Cmore closer to the slide but can't get over the beauty of a traditional scoped gun.

Ughh.....

I'm always interested in other shooters thoughts or experiences so please don't hesitate to share.:)

Are you buying art...or a gun to get stuff done with?

Rule #1 is...bring stuff that works.

Shoot that tool !!!

My 9mm open gun sure looked good with the upright Cmore mount, but ejection malfs made me absolutely crazy. A 90 degree Cheely mount made it run perfectly.

Like others have suggested, try both mounts. If a 90 degree mount lets your gun run, you will probably find that your eye will adapt to the way it looks.

It's nice to put bullets where you want them on both short and longer range shots instead of compensating up close.

It is nice, indeed, but two considerations here.

One - there are masters and GM's using the traditional mounts. That is telling me I should practice more instead of searching for a magic bullet (mount).

And two - I wish all my misses were limited to that 2" parallax error! :) But something is telling me that my C's, and the D's and even the occasional M's are not exactly the results of the scope mount type! :)

Sarge, The gun will run with either mount. It's all in if you see an advantage with the lower dot of the 90 mount, or if you like the looks better with the traditional. Almost all the top shooters are still using a traditional mount. Doesn't seem to hold them back.

While it is certainly true that both types of mounts will perform the same with sufficient training, it seems to me that if you are just starting out in open, a 90 degree mount is a more natural transition since the dot is much closer to where you expect to find the front post on your index. I have found that that makes it much easier to shift back and forth between iron sights and open (on the very odd occasion). The added advantages of less sight over bore DOES come into play often in a match and so I encourage all new shooters to consider an offset mount. I thought the aesthetics were kind of clunky to begin with, but I would not go back to a traditional mount for anything. Get a Cheely or a Quinn and you won't be sorry.

Edited by 1911Prof

"Finding the dot" ...... comes through repetition, Larry. Practice will help solve just about anything, except a gun that doesn't work right.

The one thing I think every GM, alive or dead will agree on is "your gun cannot have any faults". Type of gun, size, weight, length, height, color, caliber .... are all opinions. But the FACT is, if your gun jams you will never have fun, nor any chance of winning your class.

So whatever you think looks cool, remember your gunsmith knows what he is talking about. If you want a traditional looking open gun, maybe 38 super would be a better choice. Or can a single-sided upright scope mount work with 9major?

""Finding the dot" ...... comes through repetition, Larry. Practice will help solve just about anything, except a gun that doesn't work right". Really, I never knew that. :D Can't disagree, "Practice will help solve just about anything....... If you can reduce "practice" time (which is money) by starting with an easier mount why would I not start with "easier"?

Chris, sometimes I think you forget "we' are not GMs like you. You seem to be able to transition from iron sights to a traditional C-more with great ease and skill. I shot a traditional mount for two years (9 Major and practiced) and still lost the dot. . The side mount helped eliminate that problem for me. Seems many others on this forum would agree.

You are right--If the gun does not run, you have no fun. My point is the side mount "eliminates" some of the risk of malfunctiions in 9 Major that can be attributed to ejected brass hitting the bottom of the mount and bouncing back into the chamber. 38S/Cs are a lot more forgiving.

The other plus of a side mount, you don't have to remember for 2 yard head shots that the POI is one to two inches lower than the dot.

Us mere mortals in this sport, need every advantage we can get. :)

Sarge, The gun will run with either mount. It's all in if you see an advantage with the lower dot of the 90 mount, or if you like the looks better with the traditional. Almost all the top shooters are still using a traditional mount. Doesn't seem to hold them back.

No doubt Matt's guns run!

I agree, almost all the top shooters are still using a traditional mount and doesn't seem to hold them back. If Iwas a GM and I learned on a traditional mount, why would I change anything? For those just starting in open, IMHO the side mount is an advantage.