Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Latest Open Gun Dilemma

Sarge

I like the 90 mount. I have tried other 9 major guns with the traditional mounts and I have to say that I like the 90 mount better.
That's the key - one has to try it to know what's best for him. In reality neither one is perfect, both have strong points, but while I do own and shoot guns with 90 degree mount, and appreciate their strong points, I think it will still be the traditional ones for me once the season opens.Like I said - this decision is not like selecting the caliber... one can go back and forth between the mounts in the matter of 20 minutes, and for something like fifty bucks.

Not trying to be a wisearse, but just what "strong" points does the upright have over the 90 degree mount?

It's higher off the bore, which means you can't hold "dead center" across a larger distance range.

It's harder to transition from irons to red dot

It "can" make it tuffer to tune the ejection, not impossible but harder in some cases.

Mine is on a "hybrid" 3 popple hole barrel and I DON"T get any lens spatter from the ports, get more on the backside from running the gun on the wet side.

You bet there are a lot of "GM"S" running the standard mount, that's all there was and that's what they learned on. Look at all the crap Tiger woods went thru trying to change his swing(just an example, he damn sure ain't my hero) to pick up a point or two.

I tried a open pistol and the first time I could not even find the dot off the draw, I'm sure I could have trained myself to.

As soon as I changed to a Quinn it was just there, same as my limited gun.

If you are just starting out why make it tuffer than it has to be?

Cause it "looks" cooler?

I have no stake in your game so do what ever you like, but theres my two cent's

Good Luck

Mildot

Get a Cheely or a Quinn and you won't be sorry.

In addition to these two "blue chips", there is another strong contender out there, the Cameron mount, which I personally consider superior.

Without a doubt, the best 90 degree mount on the market is the Predator Tactical mount... It seems to disrupt the balance of the gun the least of the 90 degree mounts, and it has replaceable, repeatable plates to mount the scope on, so you can have a backup scope ready to go, and pre-zero'ed. That gives it an advantage over any other scope mount on the market, 90 degree or otherwise.

Not trying to be a wisearse, but just what "strong" points does the upright have over the 90 degree mount?

It's higher off the bore, which means you can't hold "dead center" across a larger distance range.

Actually, if you examine the height difference between the two mounts, and their effect on trajectory and bullet impact, you'll find this is essentially a non-issue. On extremely close targets, you have to adjust your aiming point a little bit more with a standard mount if you're aiming at a tight vertical target (ie, like nailing As in the upper A/B, etc). Other than that, the bullet is "in the dot" on both mounts out past 100 yards. If anything, the bullet is in the dot longer with the standard mount with a proper sight in...

It's harder to transition from irons to red dot

Only if you don't practice. I can do it all day long with no issues.

It "can" make it tuffer to tune the ejection, not impossible but harder in some cases.

Only if your gun is built poorly to begin with.

Mine is on a "hybrid" 3 popple hole barrel and I DON"T get any lens spatter from the ports, get more on the backside from running the gun on the wet side.

This sounds like a wash... The front of the lens is easier to clean, so...

You also left out the fact that the side mounts make the gun feel more top heavy and lop sided, whereas the standard mount has the gun's weight solidly over the strong hand and more balanced.

So, it comes down to, pick the one you want, and use it. ;)

I would mention symmetry, balance, clearer field of view, no interference with your left hand thumb(s) for many shooters. Plus less concern with selection and position of holster.

Edited by Foxbat

Traditional C-more mount requires the 9 major gun ejection/extraction to be more finely tuned. As you put more rounds down the pipe, expect malfunctions due to brass hitting the bottom of the mount and bouncing back into the chamber. Having a side mount almost eliminates that possible problem. Over-nighting a gun backand forth to the smith is expensive and a PITA.

"Finding the dot" is a hell of lot easier wth a side mount.

Why is it easier? Or why is it harder on a traditional mount? I have a traditional mount, and never had/have a problem. The lense of the C-More is pretty much still in the same place, whether it's turned sideways or not. And as for parallax, the A zone is huge up close, so 2" offset in the middle of the A zone, is still an A zone hit.

Edited by GrumpyOne

And as for parallax, the A zone is huge up close, so 2" offset in the middle of the A zone, is still an A zone hit.

True. The only time I am concerned with parallax is when taking head shots at the swingers peeking from behind the no-shoots.

Traditional C-more mount requires the 9 major gun ejection/extraction to be more finely tuned. As you put more rounds down the pipe, expect malfunctions due to brass hitting the bottom of the mount and bouncing back into the chamber. Having a side mount almost eliminates that possible problem. Over-nighting a gun backand forth to the smith is expensive and a PITA.

Why is it easier? Or why is it harder on a traditional mount? I have a traditional mount, and never had/have a problem. The lense of the C-More is pretty much still in the same place, whether it's turned sideways or not. And as for parallax, the A zone is huge up close, so 2" offset in the middle of the A zone, is still an A zone hit.

When I present the gun, the dot is always there with a side mount. Not so with a traditional mount. Why? beats the crap out of me. Other people have said the same thing--the side mount works better for them. May be it has something to do with physical size or the alignment of the stars..

When I present the gun, the dot is always there with a side mount. Not so with a traditional mount. Why? beats the crap out of me. Other people have said the same thing--the side mount works better for them. May be it has something to do with physical size or the alignment of the stars..

You can see the whole slide top in your vision with a 90 mount, helps you point the gun in the correct direction.

The body of the Cmore is no longer between the slide and the lens when it is mounted on it's side. Therefore the dot is closer to the slide by an amount equal to the body height of the Cmore. The dot presents itself almost like irons. This is why a tube site is much easier to find for most folks that try them.

I think that most GM's dont use side mounts because, well, it usually takes a long time to make GM and side mounts are relatively new.

The best way to decide is to try both, and run the one you like best. The results are what matter, not looks, and certanily not what everyone else runs.

I shot with a standard mount on my first open gun, and run a sideways mount on my current rig. It could be that Im just flat out getting better, but I shoot the sideways mount (a Quinn II) so much better than the upright, and I'm more comfortable off the draw with it.

FWIW, I notice absolutely NO weight difference with regards to the gun being heavier on one side. YMMV

I recently switched to a Cheely mount from a conventional mount. The main reason I did it was to get the dot closer to the slide. I thought about the penalties I took last year before making the decision. I nipped some no shoots trying to shoot over them and also clipped some walls canting the gun around a corner. The transition has been pretty easy so far and the switch back to iron sights is much simpler. I thought the excess C-more hanging off to the left would interfere with vision but that hasn't been the case at all. I was also worried about hitting my thumb on the draw but that also has not been an issue.

Get a Cheely or a Quinn and you won't be sorry.

In addition to these two "blue chips", there is another strong contender out there, the Cameron mount, which I personally consider superior.

I love the predator tactical mount! so far no jams with it and the dot is so close to the slide!

Sarge, The gun will run with either mount. It's all in if you see an advantage with the lower dot of the 90 mount, or if you like the looks better with the traditional. Almost all the top shooters are still using a traditional mount. Doesn't seem to hold them back.

Matt said it well, and He sells a 90 degree mount.

What is important is how fast "you find the dot"!

If a 90 degree helps, you need one..........

Style points do not count, I think I remember our host trying a laser, before there were dots.... whatever wins........wins!

Another point...

I have never had a problem "finding the dot" whether it be on a Traditional C More or the 90 mounted C More. Also, it doesn't seem to be a problem for me switching between irons on my Production gun and the dot on my Open gun.

Can you really feel the added top weight offset? I can't. I think I'm pretty sensitive to these things.

imagine a thumb rest, and racker on top of it! Oh that must feel sooo lob sided!

If you never used a 90 mount, you have no business comparing.

Is everyone going back to 5" full dustcover limited guns with lightened slides & tungsten guide rods because Nils beat everyone? Probably.. This is what keeps the equipment race going, as well as enginuity.

Edited by 818-DVC

Is everyone going back to 5" full dustcover limited guns with lightened slides & tungsten guide rods because Nils beat everyone? Probably.. This is what keeps the equipment race going, as well as enginuity.

This kind of "follow the leader" equipment race has NOTHING to do with ingenuity. Nils beat everyone because he was the best competitor at the match, not because of his gun setup.

Yes. I started with an upright Cmore then went sideways. My smith built a sideways mount before most others years ago. Ditched them both for tube dots after trying one because it worked better for me. That has zero to do with any supposed equipment race, though.

Edited by larry cazes

Can't argue. Never shot a tube..

Did you feel the weight or balance offset w the 90 mount?

Was there any disadvantage to them?

I cant really speak for anybody else but for me, when that buzzer goes off I cant feel the weight difference of a few ounces balanced one way or another. I use aimpoint XD tubes that are a bit heavier than a Cmore so weight is not at issue for me. I switched from Cmores for many reasons, none having to do with weight or balance. I see many advantages to tube dots. Were I using a Cmore, I would go with an offset mount for the sole reason of wanting the dot to be closer to the slide. Helps me find the dot.

Yes, I can.

Same here. I have two guns with 90 degrees mounts, which I shoot regularly in practice, and I can do it pretty well, but they still always feel crooked. Switching to regular mounts always feels like coming home.

Edited by Foxbat