Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Gun Breakage III

kevin c

My first two polls were to get a sense of what and how often things break on Limited guns during matches. I wanted to figure out, if possible, whether I really needed to bring spare parts for my match gun, which, personally, has been pretty reliable. It appears so far that breakages occur with some frequency, perhaps enough to make it prudent to make provision for breakage during an important match.

It was suggested that a second gun is a sound option covering this contingency. This may be a good idea, if you have the money, and if the match is that important to you. It made me wonder, though, whether the rank and file of the sport thinks that this is a reasonable and practical alternative, and just who actually does bring a second gun to a pistol match as a back up, and whether this choice depended on the competitor's classification (the idea being that maybe more is at stake for a sponsored/professional GM, for example). Hence, poll #3 (which, I promise will be the last.... for now... :P )

Once again, TIA

Kevin C.

This is sort of a non-issue for me since I always carry a backup (or rather second) gun all the time. Even if I don't bring a second gun specifically for the match, at the very least I have another that I'm carrying that I can press into service in an emergency. I had to do just that at a match at Silver Creek last April when my Colt choked on the first stage.

If I were shooting a high $$$ race gun instead of a modestly customized, factory 1911, it might be a different story.

[slight thread drift mode on]

Sky:

Man, you should have fight many other knights to have 40k through your lightsaber  :D

Julien,

the color is steel at handle, with whitey-blue flames throwing out of the barrel (as per my avatar)... ;)

And I have my fair share of notches on its handle, altough in Nice I missed a new "french" notch due to the overwhelming ability of my opponent... :D

[slight thread drift mode off]

I've been bringing a backup since I was a B shooter. Sometimes the backup was only vaguely related to the primary piece, but usually it met the division requirements. Now my GF shoots my backup, so I bring 3 ^_^.

(Guy advice: women like Open guns. If you don't have two, you'll be shooting something else)

I carry my glock as my back up limited gun now that I have an STI. it came in handy last month. My rear sight pin had broken and I had to finish with the Glock. You can not sight a gun in during a match even if you carry an extra rear sight.

I shoot a 6" in Limited, so financially, a spare is out of the question. I always bring my open gun because my shooting partner exclusively shoots open, so I bring it mainly in case she needs it. But when I'm shooting open I don't worry about it because we can use each other as a backup. If you use your available resourses and have enough friendly shooters in your area, you shouldn't really need to bring a backup.

Carried along a backup for my Limited gun for years and never once took it out of the bag. Both are SVs and have been totally reliable. In fact last year I had an Open upper made for the former backup. Murphy will now act and one or the other will take a dump, probably in the middle of a match.

My main gun is one of Benny Hill's awesome fat free long slide STIs. The backup that I haul around is an STI 5" Bushing Gun w/ full dustcover & slide. Luckily, I've never needed to go to my backup. As long as I do my part, the Fat Free Long Slide runs flawlessly.