Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone in Phoenix to polish my forcing cone?

zdog

No, seriously, I'm curious.....why would a forcing cone need polished?

I wouldn't want to use any (significant) abrasive on the forcing cone and change the gap, or the angle between the forcing cone and the cylinder face, or round the edges on the barrel, etc. that polishing might introduce.

Clean with a brush and solvent and that should be good enough.

Edited by gr7070

No, seriously, I'm curious.....why would a forcing cone need polished?

I wouldn't want to use any (significant) abrasive on the forcing cone and change the gap, or the angle between the forcing cone and the cylinder face, or round the edges on the barrel, etc. that polishing might introduce.

Clean with a brush and solvent and that should be good enough.

Use a high quality brush and one of the K-Y polishing compounds and finish it off with some patchouli oil.

Brownells used to sell a kit with the different cutters and they also had a brass cone that you could put polishing compound on. I recut a 629 for a 11 degree forcing cone. The factory cone was pretty rough but the cutter made it smooth and I never used the brass attachment. It helped tighten the groups with lead bullets.

Edited by z40acp

Brownells used to sell a kit with the different cutters and they also had a brass cone that you could put polishing compound on. I recut a 629 for a 11 degree forcing cone. It helped tighten the groups with lead bullets.

I used to see that frequently years ago in gun rags. Said that it would nearly always tighten up your groups. Never tried it myself but a gun rag can't be wrong.....

Brownells used to sell a kit with the different cutters and they also had a brass cone that you could put polishing compound on. I recut a 629 for a 11 degree forcing cone. It helped tighten the groups with lead bullets.

I used to see that frequently years ago in gun rags. Said that it would nearly always tighten up your groups. Never tried it myself but a gun rag can't be wrong.....

Probably not called polishing but lapping, But neither one is safe from the double entendre crowd. I got my kit that z40acp speaks of from Brownell's. Later rdd

Seems like I saw a pic that was posted here not long (I think it was a thread about cyl chamfer, maybe) on one of JM's guns that was done by Clark Custom and the cone had a serious shin in it. I don't know about improving accuracy, but it would have to increase speed and raise the PF for the same load, No?

• 4 weeks later...

Brownells used to sell a kit with the different cutters and they also had a brass cone that you could put polishing compound on. I recut a 629 for a 11 degree forcing cone. The factory cone was pretty rough but the cutter made it smooth and I never used the brass attachment. It helped tighten the groups with lead bullets.

Glad folks are having some fun.....

The forcing cone on my 625-8 had concentric machine marks. Since I was having lead build up in the forcing cone and not the barrel I decided it wouldn't hurt to polish those marks out. I have learned that you can buy the tools to do this at Brownells for not much money if you don't buy the cutters. I had to ask around to find what the angle was on the 625-8. Some said 11 degrees...some said 18 degrees. Have to know that to buy the right brass tool. I finally sent an email to S&W since I got two different answers from their phone guys. The official answer is 15 to 18 degrees.

Can the forcing cone angle be cut down? I hear that a 11 degree is likely to be more accurate.

ZDog

You should wait for an opinion of a real Gunsmith but you probably could recut it to 11 degrees. My 629 had a small forcing cone gap and I opened it up to .005" because I was shooting bowling pins with it and it would freeze up. After I did the forcing cone and polished the bore it improved the lead bullet accuracy.

I use the 11 degree kit from Brownell's for all my guns. There is no magic forcing cone angle, the same as there is no magic muzzle crown angle. What really matters is that it is smooth and concentric to the bore. For the forcing cone you want it not too big and not too small. There are gages for that but it's not real critical to have a certain exact size. If you smooth it out with the 11 degree cutter just till it cleans up you will be fine.

Edited by Toolguy